The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2008, 09:26 AM   #1
MaineColt

What to try next for ACCURACY?

I'm loading for 44 mag again. The Blue Dot powder with the 200 gr XTP's came out pretty good, but they aren't as accurate as they could be.

I wanted to try a heavier bullet, so I loaded Hornady 265 grain JFP over 18.0 gr of 2400. CCI 300 primers. I'm getting 1" groups at 25 yards with this heavy load.

Before I give up with the Blue Dot and try another powder, (w/ the 200 hp) what can I try to make that round more accurate?

I can't change the OAL because of the cannilure, (sp?) but I can change the primer.

Will the primer change accuracy at all?
Old March 25, 2008, 09:46 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

more better

Suggest first varying crimp, then powder, then bullets.
Primers can and do affect accuracy, but IMNSLE I suggest somewhere in your process you'll find better accuracy.
Old March 25, 2008, 10:49 AM   #3
MaineColt

I was wondering about the crimp. I put a pretty hard crimp on these cases being that they are a heavy bullet and fairly stout charge of powder. I am afraid that if I don't, the bullets will shift in the case with the recoil.

How do I know how much crimp to use? Or for that matter, WHICH crimp, taper or roll?
Right now, I'm using a roll crimp.

Thanks, Kev
Old March 26, 2008, 08:05 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

ah, the eternal quest: Crimp Quandry

"How much crimp?"

Here's exactly what I learned: For revolver ammo I use Redding Profile Crimp Dies exclusively (with rare exceptions for esoteric reasons). I test, vary crimp, and retest.
I start from "heaviest" (breaking off the bullet top) to "taper only" (because the Redding Die can do so), based on specific load, which means I don't need to test down to 'taper' for 'hotties' because I already I'll get bullet creep long before then.
And for 'target' puffers I know I don't (normally) need a 'crushing death-grip' crimp.

I test varying amounts of crimp for MY ammo in MY gun(s), then I set-n-forget THAT die (or setup).
I have at least two in each chambering so I can install one on a Dillon toolhead if it's a oft-made choice, and one laying around for single-stage work.

"Test, then know".
Old March 26, 2008, 01:27 PM   #5
amamnn

I like the Redding profile crimp too. Do remember that more crimp = more start pressure and more chance that you'll deform the bullet. Both can affect accuracy. I've been getting a pretty accurate load from 180 grain Hornady XTPs and Lil Gun powder. It's a slower powder that I use in all my magnum loads. People especially sensitive to perceived recoil will not like that powder.
Old March 26, 2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Ed the Rangerat

Trigger pull more important than any of the other stuff. Practice, practice, practice.
Old March 26, 2008, 02:42 PM   #7
somerled

Roll crimping is fine. Just make certain the brass is all the same length and sorted by manufacturer. If there is vertical stringing in the groups or a wide standard deviation in velocities when the ammo is chronographed, that is an indication that the pressures aren't uniform. If the cases are the same length and make, that might indicate you need to look at primers.

Other pressure-regulation factors you might consider: Blue Dot is coarse and might bridge in some powder measures. Some seating stems don't lock down well and shift. Check your rounds to see if there is a wide range of OALs. What seems to only be a few thousandths and isn't readily visible with the naked eye can make a big difference.

I have always had good results with those bullets when I use H-110 or Winchester 296 with magnum primers. Alliant 2400 does nearly as well but doesn't require magnum primers.
Old March 26, 2008, 08:15 PM   #8
amamnn

Ed makes a very good point. I assume that accuracy questions on the handloading forum are posted only after perfecting proper technique and using only the finest firearms available.
Old March 26, 2008, 11:10 PM   #9
joneb

Quote:
Blue Dot is coarse and might bridge in some powder measures.
Blue Dot and other large flake powders do not meter well for me. I find that BD is temperature sensitive, and unpredictable at upper end loadings for .357 mag with jacked bullets even with measured loads. Blue Dot works better for me at mid-range charges, I have switched to AA#9 for my 2.75and 4" .357's with very good results.
I'm burning up the rest of my Blue Dot in my bolt action .308 Win using a Nosler 125gr BT w/16.0gr of BD and Fed 210 primers, this load will keep 1" groups at a 100 yrds it burns clean and the barrel stays cool for mid-range high volume varminting.
Old March 27, 2008, 08:19 AM   #10
MaineColt

amamnn,
You wrote, "Ed makes a very good point. I assume that accuracy questions on the handloading forum are posted only after perfecting proper technique and using only the finest firearms available."
___

Yes, I am aware of proper trigger control. With other loads in this same revolver, I am getting 3/4" groups off of the sand bags. I have no trouble doing my part as long as the gun and load does as well. That is why I was asking about crimping and primers, not proper technique.

Kev
Old March 27, 2008, 08:30 AM   #11
MaineColt

To answer others, I am making sure that all brass is from one manufacturer. All are the same length, cases and finished cartridges. I am measuring each one with my dial calipers.
At this point, I am weighing every powder charge to eliminate the possibility of the dropper bridging the powder, because I agree with you guys about the Blue Dot not measuring well.

No vertical stringing with these loads, just "round" groups.

My two loads so far are;
200 grain Hornady HP/XTP over 20 Grains of Blue Dot-CCI 300 primers.

265 grain Hornady JFP oer 18 grains 2400, CCI300

200 grain bullets are at best 3" groups at 25 yards. This is the most accurate powder weight with the Blue Dot.

265 grain bullets are averaging 3/4" @ 25 yds. with the 2400 powder.

I guess my next thing to try is to load the 265 gr. bullets with Blue Dot and the 200 gr. bullets with 2400. Maybe I can see if the gun prefers one bullet weight, or powder, over another.

Kev
Old March 27, 2008, 10:43 PM   #12
somerled

I suspect a good charge of 2400 with the 200-grain XTP will work, Kev. Good luck.

I've been able to get good groups out of a S&W 29 and a Redhawk with Blue Dot and the 180-grain Sierra JHP. Blue Dot hasn't seemed to work well for me with heavier bullets.