The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 16, 2000, 02:02 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm sure you folks have seen it in the shows. It's an AR with a frame fabricated of modern polymers/plastics/dead dinosaurs. From a thread over at ar15.com, there's one owner who isn't a very happy camper. Besides broken parts, he has lots of keyholings. My take is that POI must do more R&D on their product.

Anybody here have any firsthand experience with POI?
Old April 16, 2000, 10:54 PM   #2
Sea Bass

Haven't shot one but handled one at a local dealer. Personally I don't care for it. For a pistol, it's too big to handle...kind of like the HK SP89. However I asked my dealer how many they sold and he said that one person bought two of them.
Old April 17, 2000, 10:51 AM   #3
Correia

I had a friend who had one, it was very light and handy, and it felt great. However, he wound up returning it and getting his money back. The chamber was way too tight, about every third round would malfunction, and this is with all kinds of factory ammo.

The concept was neat. The whole thing weighed about five lbs. In fact it was the only .223 that I have ever shot that I would say kicked.

This was one of the first production models, shot over a year ago. (it had the original blued barrel, and removeable muzzle break). So I don't know if they have worked the bugs out yet or not.
Old April 17, 2000, 07:44 PM   #4
The Rock

I have a carbine. It has worked fine so far. (less than 250 rounds through it). It weighs 3.9 pounds and is a lot of fun. It has a chrome barrel and removeable break. Unfortunately, The Rock needs some cash, so it is for sale.

TR
Old April 18, 2000, 06:10 AM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I like the Idea... but the practice doesnt hold to concept.
I think this could be a good bases for a 9MM SMG type unit - but as a .223 rifle - its a failure in my book.
The problem is that the polytype frame is just not stiff enough to support accurate rifle fire.
The reciever is the FOUNDATION from which you build accuracy. Bench Rest shooters often use custom made actions built like small Artilery batteries... Thick, heavy and nothing but solid. One of the reasons the AK is better than then SKS is it's a stiffer, heavier duty action. The Super VEPR - which is IMHO the best AK you can get - is based on the heavier machinegun reciever. This is all giving more support to the area supporting the barrel - the foundation...
We believe that polytype auto pistols may have a longer life span than steele - and have an easier "feel" when shooting because there is a slight flexation in the frame under the recoil stresses.
I suspect that in a rifle this slight flexation may throw off the barrel harmonics and increase barrel whip - possible causing the keyholeing, poor accuracy, and even screwing up its cycling.
Perhaps in a shorter 9mm configeration - these effects would be reduced... or just be unnoticed.

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited April 18, 2000).]
Old April 18, 2000, 08:35 PM   #6
swampgator

I fired the "pistol" version of it last Tuesday, needless to say a "unique" experience.
Observations:
1) Hard to acquire a solid firing position.
Can't be "shouldered" like an M-16 nor can
it be fired like a conventional pistol.

2) Lacking a "quality" sights. Peep sight was
adequate, but for the price paid they could be better.

3) Muzzle blast was incredible. Much more
than I've ever seen on a rifle caliber pistol.

All in all, a fun toy to have but if purchasing to fill a "need" there are other,
better suited, options available.

Gator
Old April 19, 2000, 01:07 AM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The only good thing about the pistol is that you could put a stock on it. (Not Legally)
I was wanting to get an AR pistol - until I fired one. The desire has since left me.
Old April 20, 2000, 06:10 PM   #8
swampgator

George:
Exactly the idea we had.

Too bad it ain't legal.

Gator