The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2005, 03:53 PM   #1
bakeryman

Reloading question

I have considering reloading but I only shoot 9mm, 45acp, and .380. I know I can save money on the 45 but I was wondering if the 9mm is cost effective to reload for someone who only does target practice and plinking. Ammo usage is around 1000 9mm and 500 45 a month, the 380 gun is primarily the wife's ccw, so it don't get shot much. As I'm looking at buying a 1911 in the near future I'll want to reload 45 for that and my revolver so my 45 usage will surely go up! Any opinions as well as sources for reloading supplies woud be greatly appreciated.
Old May 2, 2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I would say that 1,500 rounds is a quite a bit for "casual plinking" I know there are some cheap ammo in 9mm out there and it seems to be getting close to what you can reload for. I have been loading for a million years and almost never buy factory ammo anymore. If you aren't sure how serious you will take to reloading I would suggest you look at Lee's stuff. It all works and everything is very reasonable in price. If you find you like reloading you may want to move up in quality or you may find as a lot of people do, Lee stuff is fine and just stay with them. As far as the .380 goes, for as little as you shoot it I would just buy factory ammo. I have seen it priced for somewhere around $8.00 +/- a box. If you do get into reloading, you are in the right place to read Q&A's and a GREAT bunch of people in here that will be more than happy to respond to your questions. Good Luck
Old May 2, 2005, 05:06 PM   #3
G56

There's something important to know about reloading, either get into it or not, don't try to go cheap, it's far more expensive in the long run. For the volume you are talking about you need to look at Dillon, they are the best reloaders for volume useage, here's a good starting point:

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=46&dyn=1&
Old May 2, 2005, 07:33 PM   #4
bakeryman

I've been looking at the Lee pro 1000 and the Dillon square deal b, I have some fellow shooters who reload and I get votes for both as a good start but I have read more good reviews on the dillon vs. the lee although I have one friend who loves his lee loadmaster. As of right now I'm just plinking but considering action pistol and IDPA as my skills grow so reloading could become mandatory from a cost standpoint.
Old May 2, 2005, 09:05 PM   #5
cheygriz

A quality machine like the Dillon will last a lifetime. Every time In my 61 years that I bought "cheap" I regretted it sooner or later.

My life experiences have convinced me that the most expensive item is usually the cheapest in the long run.

Having said that, I would also recommend that you gat a single stage press to start with. Learn the reloading hobby one round at a time, and when you've been reloading satisfactory ammo for a year, then get a Dillon.

Believe me, you'll still use that single stage quite a bit even after you get the progressive.
Old May 2, 2005, 10:35 PM   #6
G56

Quote:
A quality machine like the Dillon will last a lifetime. Every time In my 61 years that I bought "cheap" I regretted it sooner or later.
Yep, been there...done that!
Old May 2, 2005, 11:29 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I stopped reloading 9mm when I realized that I could, with a little searching, get it as low as $6 a box in bulk with a little searching around. It's simply not worth my time to mess with it anymore.

I never enjoyed reloading 9mm as I do .45, .38, or .357, so it was an easy choice all around.

With the exception of the Lee Turret, which I think is a pretty good intro press, I don't like Lee's progressive loaders at all.
Old May 3, 2005, 11:19 AM   #8
crazylegs

Bakeryman, I'd consider the Dillon what you want to do over the Square Deal B. Don't know much about the Lee machines.
Crazylegs
Old May 3, 2005, 07:26 PM   #9
bakeryman

I just won a Dillon square deal set up for 9mm and 45 acp on ebay and I have a guy from work trading me a lee classic press set up for 9mm for some golf clubs I had so after some extensive reading I should be ready to start reloading. Thanks to everyone for thier input.
Old May 3, 2005, 11:39 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

What did you give for the Square Deal in the auction?
Old May 4, 2005, 06:32 AM   #11
bakeryman

I got it for $230.00 shipped, here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1