The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 14, 2007, 06:35 PM   #1
ace1001

What should I have done?

I have been open carrying for a year, because I farm and now my state allows transport to be a simple thing. No unloading in and out of vehicle, no local ordanence BS. I carry a single action SS .45 Ruger between shirt and pants offside, slanted inward, because believe it or not, it is the easiest to get around with.
I'm hauling in a semi loaded with wheat to the elevator, when at the next mile line, I see a pickup speed up and pull into the center of the road and slow way down. I figured, off duty officer, doesn't like what he saw, so I slow down and coast in. He gets out and stands in the center of the road in front of the truck arms crossed, like something out of Walker Texas Ranger. The road is too narrow and the ditch to soft to go around. Anyway I recognize this guy, went to school with his sister. How bad could it be? So I roll slowly up. Even pulling over the load started to sink in the soft edge.
I said, "What's up, you almost got me stuck."
" I'm gonna do a hell of a lot more than that! I' gonna beat the F*@# out of you." and he started to pull the door open.
Luckily, it is a cab over and I'm way above him, and have my seatbelt on so I can hold the door shut. For a while he started to get it open, but I got it back. He was going on about the way I passed him on the last load and I'm thinking I never passed anyone. Well I met him going 55 on gravel, which I admitted was probably too fast for conditions. He kept going on about all he was going to do to me. Now, I'm not afraid to fight him but not carrying a gun. That only happens in old westerns where they get into fist fights with guns in their holsters. Nobody takes my gun without legal authority. Rule number 1. I'm thinking this is the last person in the county who doesn't know I carry. I thought it best not to mention why this fight wasn't going to happen, because I KNOW he had a high powered rifle behind the seat of his truck and he was not himself, he might have gone for it and then I would have to stop him before he could. Make a citizen's arrest, call the cops and keep him away from his truck. If he wouldn't comply, and he was crazy mad, this could be a life and death situation.
Hanging onto the door was the best, and he blew off his steam. Then he wanted to shake my hand. It was so sudden that it seemed unreal. I didn't FEEL like shaking hands. That happens after calm conversation and agreement. I kinda wondered if it might be a trick. I mentioned that this was not a good way to handle this. That when adults fight, people get hurt.
"Well, I aint afraid of getting hurt." and he went off again.
"Sometimes they get hurt REAL bad. And what makes you think that you're the toughest thing that ever walked the earth?" Should have left off the last sentence, but I started to lose my cool. But somehow his face changed and we talked about the safe speed of trucks rationally and he left.

My question is, is this over? He slowed down the other day like he wanted to talk. I don't want another confrontation that could get out of control. If he wants a fight, I want to do it in a ring and sell tickets. Make some money.

How should I have handled it? How from here? I really don't think it was about me. Family problems? Alchohol? Ace
Old July 14, 2007, 07:04 PM   #2
doncameron

sounds like you did well.
The only thing I might do is contact the local LEO's and inform them of what happened.
CYA! (Cover Your Ass)
Just incase he tries something later.
Old July 14, 2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Dwight55

Not a wagering man, . . . but if I were, . . . my money would be he was either snorting, smoking, or chewing something besides tobacco, . . . AND, . . . you have not seen the last of him.

#1, . . . contact LEO, . . . inform them of every event.

#2, . . . get your significant others (wife, children, parents, bro/sis, etc.) informed of this looney bird. He is an absolute coward, . . . a showoff, . . . and he just may let his battleship mouth overload his rowboat backside, . . . but then he will feel compelled to complete whatever threat he made. Most like him, . . . will go after your family to get back at you, . . . you have already shown him down.

#3, . . . make sure you can lock the doors from the inside of the cab, and keep em locked.

#4, . . . keep your eyes open, your powder dry, your cell charged and on you at all times.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 14, 2007, 07:46 PM   #4
PTR 91

Sounds like he was hell bent on beating you into a hospital. I would contact the LEO's and watch the backs of you and your loved ones. Good luck I hope the guy has calmed down and is going to leave you alone. This guy sounds mentally unstable so watch out.
Old July 14, 2007, 08:42 PM   #5
ace1001

Maybe I should talk to the sheriff. I know him well enough, but I was afraid that that would require a report and make this a big deal. Does anyone know?
Old July 14, 2007, 11:00 PM   #6
Xenia

I agree with others who tell you that he is not done yet.

His ability to fake calm to get you to come out and shake hands is a big key.

His standing in the middle of the road like that was a powerplay. He felt big and in control. You handled him very well, imo because you gave him an "out". He was able to leave the situation after a conversation with you about driving safe with farm stuff, etc. He probably momentarily felt that he had one up on you.

So, he might not be gunning for you and your family necessarily at this point but I would consider him a loose canon.

Telling the police is an excellent idea, but do it in a police report that you can get a copy of if needed down the road. Just a casual call might not be recorded. (Or it might, I did a "casual call" and they did record it.... so if you go that route just ask if they are keeping a record of the concern somewhere.)

In the power and control cycle it goes like this: first stressed out, feels victimized by situations, then seeks escape (often uses drugs, alcohol but not always), then seeks a way to feel powerful or in control: challenges you to a fight, tries to grab you and beat you up. When the situation is supposedly over, it is not really over... the next step is "justification". He will justify to himself why his actions were acceptable or even the right thing to do.

Then the cycle continues... his problems have not gone away. He will get back into that frame of mind again. But he might not pick on you necessarily next time.
Old July 15, 2007, 06:10 AM   #7
Hemicuda

Being a semi driver myself... I have an idea...

Ever notice the height of the toor on a semi?

Ever notice the jaw height of the average person?

I only ever had one person try to open my semi door in anger... and I was nice enough to un-lock it for him...

then I "assisted" the door with a foot and elbow...

when the fellow regained conciousness, all the fight had gone out of him... the police had a good laugh as they loaded him into a cruiser to haul him off...

it turns out that the poltroon had it in for some driver in a white semi, and my Covenant truck was white, so I must be the guy...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old July 15, 2007, 08:42 AM   #8
ace1001

some good ideas here....
Old July 17, 2007, 11:02 PM   #9
Kentucky

Another Perspective

I am in law enforcement on the court-side of things. I am NOT giving legal advice but can report some general observations.

The fact that he is at your door helps alot. You really cannot retreat any farther than your cab. Despite any "no retreat" laws that may or may not exist in your state, I would never get out to fight from the cab of a truck unless to defend another or perhaps, under some cirumstances, prevent vandalism to the truck, although under those conditions calling for help is the better way to go.

In most states he is guilty of a crime if it is as you report. The crime can be called "menacing" or some equivalent. In my state it does not require a police officer and can be charged on your affidavit via your local D.A. It is not likely too late to file the charge.

My basic rule is that if I am armed I do not fight for honor or insult. If I am armed I will retreat unless unable to do so. Personally I will apologize if I believe that will help.

If a cell phone is available and it is safe to do so, I would inform them that I am calling 911 and set the phone down if needed after hitting the call. It shows that your are serious about the threat and limits how long the confrontation can continue.

I am willing to bet that cdl materials have some info on how to handle road rage. Actually, it sounds like you showed great restraint. Even knowing what I know, if somebody came to my door like that my first instinct would be to shoot them in the face, (mistake) and I hope that if it ever happens I will hesitate as needed to preserve life without risking my own.
Old July 18, 2007, 11:48 AM   #10
ace1001

I had the high ground so it was easy to decide, but as he walked away I had to believe that it was over or I could not have let him get his rifle. But since he never knew about the pistol, I felt he would not have been calm walking back to his truck if he were going for the rifle. I was a little uneasy at that point. Ace
Old July 18, 2007, 11:59 AM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Really fast mood changes are a bad sign. Sudden calmness is as bad as, if not worse than sudden rage. I'd chalk it up to substance abuse or mental illness. Either way you should keep an eye on him.

BTW, he may know you carry. People use other people's guns & trigger fingers to commit suicide on occasion--usually via cop. Sounds like you handled the situation well. You're ok and you didn't have to shoot anyone.
Old July 18, 2007, 12:41 PM   #12
ace1001

I know now for sure that I don't WANT to kill anyone, but I also realize that when I carry I must be prepared to kill if the other person pushes it to that. Ace
Old July 18, 2007, 01:28 PM   #13
PJW001

Quote:
Ever notice the height of the door on a semi?

Ever notice the jaw height of the average person?
As was reading your description of the events I was thinking of exactly the same thing.

However not wanting to escalate the incident you did well, many good thoughts above.
Old July 18, 2007, 02:09 PM   #14
newarcher

I would report him to the police to have it on record.

If he did that same thing again, I would T-bone that truck of his at about 40 MPH and then tell the police that he slammed on his brakes in front of me.

This guy is a psycho and I would report him...if everything is as you said.

New
Old July 27, 2007, 09:43 AM   #15
ProudToCarry

Sometimes (and I'm sure we all have done this at one point or another) we do stupid things, then think twice about it after cooling off. We may even feel sufficiently bad enough to offer an apology.

While I agree this guy *might* be off his rocker, as other posters have pointed out, I don't see the harm in obtaining closure (in addition to reporting the incident to CYA). Just make sure it's in a public place, in view of several people if possible (convenience store, gas station, feed store, etc.).

I wouldn't go out of my way to seek this guy out...but do keep an open mind. Life's too short to keep count of enemies.

(I do find it darkly amusing, however, that the guy seemed to get all out of whack due to something you had no control over...)
Old July 27, 2007, 10:32 AM   #16
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Now, I'm not afraid to fight him but not carrying a gun.
The first thing you should have done was to have your gun with you, just in case. Other than that, you did pretty well. Definitely make a police report about this jackass.
Old July 27, 2007, 06:16 PM   #17
acmetim

just by posting this here you have made a dated notation of the incident should you ever need it. tell the sheriff anyways. they usually know who in a small community is off their rocker. this, if nothing else, will help em keep tabs on the guys state of mind. should anything else happen, this info might help them in a judgement call on this guy. ive had police plead with me to file a report on such a guy because they wanted to get him off the streets and were having trouble getting somebody to just go on the record and press charges.
Old July 27, 2007, 06:35 PM   #18
Creature

Make a report...a written report...as fast as you possibly can!!