The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Ale GOlem

Double Barreled Shotguns OU vs. SS

I love double barreled shotguns, is there any appreciable difference between an over under barrel compared to a side by side barrel?
Old February 28, 2012, 03:05 PM   #2
johnbt

Some people like SxS guns for live bird hunting because they feel the barrels on an O/U block their view of low-flying crossing birds like quail and such depending on which way the bird goes.

Some O/U shooters say they like the frequently mentioned 'single sighting plane'. (I was taught to look at the target and not the gun, but if it works for them and they're happy, etc.)

O/U guns have to open farther than a SxS in order to reload the bottom barrel. It's mostly a problem in small stationary duck blinds or floating blinds. Heck, try it in a canoe, your barrels will be in the water if you aren't careful.

Somebody help me out here. Any real differences?

John
Old February 28, 2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Brister wrote that SxS guns do better where speed is more crucial than precision, and O/Us where the reverse is true. I agree.

Good grouse, woodcock and quail hunters often use SxS guns in the brush and alders. Those SxS guns I've owned or just operated worked very, very well in short time frame, close to medium range situations.

But so have at least two O/Us I know of, and one was close to 8 lbs in weight and handled like a railroad tie.Adrenaline can even things up sometimes.

And in The Temple Of The Shotgun Gods there's no Tablet of Stone that sayeth.....

"Thou shalt only use O/Us or SxS shotguns, but not both"....
Old February 28, 2012, 05:39 PM   #4
BigJimP

On moving targets ....you should always "feel" the lead vs "measure it" but there is a difference in a SXS when you're shooting the left barrel on a crosser from right to left....so to me, a SXS - is more difficult to adapt to ...but then I've been shooting O/U's for well over 35 yrs too ...

In most SXS's - the stocks are short ...and the grip area of the gun is smaller ...( maybe making them more nimble ) ....but too me, they're too small ..and tend to be whippy.. so I stick with the O/U's even on game like Quail. Weight and barrel length ..and how they swing is a critical issue in selecting the right gun for you ...not what fits me...its up to you.

Some SXS's have 2 triggers ....some of the newer guns have a single trigger...and I'm not a fan of double triggers ( especially in the field where I might be wearing gloves ).

Opening an O/U in a duck blind has never been an issue to me ...but I can't say I've ever tried it in a conoe either....
Old February 28, 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
oneounceload

While there are some heavier SxS guns, mostly designed for waterfowl or live pigeon shooting, most SxS guns are built to be light, svelte, and handle like a wand with a neutral balance between the hands.

O/Us tend to come in two designation - field or target where the target versions tend to be a pound or more heavier than their field counterpart. In most cases, however, it seems they still tend to be a little more balanced-forward, or barrel heavy. It helps for smooth swings, but is not as responsive as the typical SxS built for upland
Old February 28, 2012, 07:15 PM   #6
zippy13

IMHO, performancewise, O/Us have it all over SxSs; but, for nostalgia, you can't beat a classic SxS.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:13 PM   #7
14cm

buy both
Old February 28, 2012, 09:51 PM   #8
badge851

While I had both I've sold all of my O/U guns. I use my SxS 16ga and 20ga guns for all of my upland chores with one exception (turkey). They are lighter, faster, and for me; easier to use in just about all applications. I hunt grouse, pheasant, quail, and rabbits with my SxS guns. I much prefer two shots with two chokes, than three shots with one choke. My one exception as I have previously iterated, is spring turkey; that almost always only requires a single shot to bag the bird. I use my 20ga pump, or my late father's Winchester Mdl 37, because both are choked so tight.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Last edited by badge851; March 2, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old February 28, 2012, 11:51 PM   #9
.300 Weatherby Mag

There is a significant amount of difference between the O/U and SXS... Overall I prefer the O/U but love the cool factor of my SXS... I can't hit clays all that well with a SxS but I massacre birds with them...
Old February 29, 2012, 12:51 AM   #10
olddrum1

Yes, one will not fit in 90% of the gun racks at clubs.
Old February 29, 2012, 03:22 AM   #11
zippy13

Olddrum, my friend, I gotta admit, that's one I'd not considered; but, it's a very valid point. And, if the notch isn't wide enough for a SxS, there are many clubs where if your barrel is short, your gun isn't gonna fit in the rack, either. The designer of the racks, at my club's new rifle range, neglected to take into consideration the rising popularity of M4-style carbines. Rack spaces for SxSs and short guns (if allowed) are like handicapped parking stalls, you need to provide a few.
Old February 29, 2012, 08:02 AM   #12
oneounceload

The racks on our 5-stand are simply cut in a large "V", thus accommodating both wide and narrow barrels. I don't believe it was done with that purpose in mind, but rather for the ease and simplicity of making two quick saw cuts making a 90 degree "V" - but hey!, it works. We have folks bring out some expensive SxS guns - AyA, Arrietta, Boss, to name a few, and they all use the rack without worry - most of those folks are primarily bird hunters first and they do a decent job with those SxS on the clays
Old February 29, 2012, 08:52 AM   #13
Irish B

Just go with a drilling gun and have both
Old February 29, 2012, 09:08 AM   #14
oneounceload

Maybe a Vierling then?

Old March 1, 2012, 08:50 PM   #15
jrothWA

No real difference between the SxS or O/U BUT...

becareful if you have any pump shotgun.

You might be on the receiving end of comment, if you get to excited hunting and you shuck off the fore-enf as you try to raCK A THIRD SHELL INTO THE CHAMBERS. AS i did once, the dog was the source of the most abrasive comments. Darn Springers!