The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 2, 2015, 09:45 PM   #1
hurlburt

Trying to date an 1858 Remington New Model Army

I'm trying to date this NMA for my dad. It's serial is P 89XX, it has a couple of W's on the cylinder close to the carry notches, a J on the frame above the hammer screw and another J on each side of the frame in front of where the cylinder lines up with the barrel and a P on the brass trigger guard near the front.

I know you used to be able to write somewhere and find out where Springfield rifles were issued to, I recall seeing write ups for them at gun shows where it told what unit the owner was assigned, etc. Pretty cool, anyone know of something like this for Rem's?

Thanks in advance!
Old July 2, 2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Bishop Creek

Don't go by the serial number, look for numbers or letters stamped on it like "XIII" or "BD" for example. Those are the date codes:

Old July 2, 2015, 10:36 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Is this a reproduction Remington or an original one? If original, you might try here:

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/foru...wforum.php?f=2

(Added 7-3-15 11:06 am) Or, just call on Hawg.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; July 3, 2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old July 3, 2015, 03:45 AM   #4
Hawg

It was born in Jan. of 1863. The P is not part of the serial number, it's a sub inspectors mark like the J'sand W's.
Old July 3, 2015, 05:50 PM   #5
hurlburt

58 NMA

Thank you guys SO much for the response! Really cool knowing when it was made.

Odd question, I heard that sometimes when Confederates captured Union items, they'd remove any U.S. type markings... makes perfect sense to me. Does this scrape at the bottom look like such a removed marking to anyone? Or maybe it's some type of carry related wear.

Old July 3, 2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Buzzcook

While its possible some rebels removed US marking from captured gun, I don't thing that's the case with the grip of your 1858.
I don't recall any official markings where your grip is chipped.
Old July 3, 2015, 08:32 PM   #7
Bishop Creek

Well, Fingers and Hawg showed me up. I thought it was an Italian pistol. Call me embarrassed.
Old July 3, 2015, 08:40 PM   #8
RJay

In all my reading, I have never read of Confederates setting around the campfires at night removing U.S. markings. They had enough things to do such as forage for food and shelter. I could be wrong, wasn't there and perhaps some where in a letter or diary some one noted that they ( for spite ) had removed those Yankee markings.
Old July 3, 2015, 10:24 PM   #9
Hawg

What was there was the final inspectors cartouche. As far as removing markings, some may have done it but not in any great numbers.

Old July 3, 2015, 10:34 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
Well, Fingers and Hawg showed me up. I thought it was an Italian pistol. Call me embarrassed.
Hi embarrassed. Seriously tho, no need to be. If you don't know, you don't know. Nothing wrong with that. The P's, J's and W's were the giveaway. Repops don't have sub inspectors marks.
Old July 4, 2015, 12:32 AM   #11
hurlburt

Guess I should've specified that it's an original, my mistake and sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, if it had been common for a U.S. to have been stamped on the grip there, I could see it. Though, if I had captured a serviceable Iraqi Beretta P92, exact in every fashion to our issued weapon save a picture of Sadaam on the grip, I probably would scrape his face off before i carried it. But that's just me and the story makes sense in that light.

Again, thanks for the interest. I wrote an email to Remington to see if they kept historical records as to who it had been issued to and when, where or what units they served in. Will post any results to this thread, either way.

I tried registering to the remington society, unsuccessfully. they block hotmail and the moderators say "PLEASE do not hesitate to click the service desk on the home page and contact me." unfortunately, there's no such thing as a "service desk" connected to that forum and no way to "contact" this moderator unless you're registered, which I cannot do by default. PAINFULLY obnoxious.
Old July 4, 2015, 02:00 AM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
I wrote an email to Remington to see if they kept historical records as to who it had been issued to and when, where or what units they served in. Will post any results to this thread, either way.
With very few exceptions there's no such records and none as to an individual. AFAIK Remington kept no such records. You might come up with a serial number batch in quartermaster records but good luck on that.