The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1
ZVP

trigger control double triggers?

Another rookie question...
I tried searching an answer but nothing came up.
I bought a Stoger 20 ga Uplander which has double triggers.
The triggers seem to be set up for two finger use!
Is this a proper technique, one to be learned or are the triggers to be pulled with only one finger?
Holding the gun with both fingers toucching the triggers feels so natural that I just had to ask!
The chokes are set-up with the right bblimproved Cylinder (front trigger) and left bbl Modified (rear trigger)
I would guess you choose the right barrel first???
TIA
ZVP
Old February 8, 2013, 10:10 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

No, one finger is used to fire one trigger at a time. The advantage of two triggers is instant choke selection - tight for far, open for close
Old February 8, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3
BigJimP

Two fingers....touching both triggers....will probably result in both barrels firing at the same time....( something you'd probably not find to be a great idea )....
Old February 8, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4
USMCGrunt

I've had a Rossi verland coach gun for many years and it too has the double triggers. Yup, use one finger on one trigger. When I was younger, every now and again I would touch off both barrels at the same time to remind myself that doing so is a DUMB freakin' idea!!!
Old February 8, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Scorch

Having started out many years ago on a Savage 311 with double triggers, if you ever accidentally set both barrels off at the same time, you will see why people who know say use one finger. One finger, one trigger at a time.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:28 PM   #6
WillyKern69

I pulled two triggers once, once.

I inherited a 1940's SXS shot gun with two triggers and and full choke barrells. It was new to me so when my dog went on point I put two fingers on two triggers(I don't know why) and when a Pheasant took to the air I pulled them. Lets just say there was not much not left of that bird. Feathers were everywhere. Never did that again. My dog and my friend both looked at me with a "what just happened" face.

WK
Old February 8, 2013, 06:29 PM   #7
ZVP

Thanks guys

Like I said it's a beginners query. I have had a pumpgun before but it was simple just ine trigger and barrel.
I will stay on the safe side and use 1 finger and select chokes accordingly.
BPDave
Old February 8, 2013, 07:27 PM   #8
PetahW

With two fingers on the double triggers, one finger on each, even if a shooter only means to fire one of the triggers/barrels, the recoil/reflex will cause the OTHER finger to flex & pull the 2nd trigger, resulting in an almost simultainous discharge.

Old February 9, 2013, 11:05 AM   #9
BigD_in_FL

My first time EVER firing a gun was an old SxS with DT. being LH and being about 13 I shot that pheasant with both triggers. As mentioned above, the bird was a mass of feathers and not much else and my shoulder was very sore. I wouldn't buy a SxS with DT for almost 40 years because of that. When I look back at the gun shows with great deals on SxS guns, I kick myself over and over. I love my DT SxS now - took me exactly three shots on the 5-stand to get used to it