The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 19, 2011, 10:37 PM   #1
TXAZ

Squib - any first hand experiences, what are the symptoms

I've read a couple of threads in the past regarding someone 'had a squib' that resulted in the barrel cracking / pooching out / exploding / otherwise having a bad day.

For a relative newby compared to some of you guys, how do you know the bullet you just shot only made it half way down the barrel? Is it obvious?

If you've experienced this first hand, I'd really like to hear about symptoms and avoiding the second shot into the first bullet.

Thanks.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 19, 2011, 10:41 PM   #2
highvel

My first inclination is that there is no bullet hole where there should be one!
I have had it happen once to me; the target told me I had a short round.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 19, 2011, 10:47 PM   #3
egor20

I had it once with a .357 revolver, I can't really describe it other than it....Just felt wrong. I know that's a lousy description, but it did just did feel wrong, No muzzle flash and very little wrist kick back....just felt wrong.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 19, 2011, 10:48 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Reduced recoil, reduced or absent report, reduced flash in a revolver (you may still get some flash around the cylinder/barrel gap), no flash in an autopistol. If the gun is an autopistol it's fairly common for the gun to fail to cycle properly.

Just to be perfectly clear, the squib itself is harmless. The problem comes when the shooter doesn't realize what's happened and shoots another round down the plugged barrel.
Old February 19, 2011, 10:51 PM   #5
TXAZ

John, understand the squib just sets up for the real problem with the following round. I was thinking of getting into reloading but I've got a neighbor who indicate these may be more common when you reload, hence the question.
Thanks.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 19, 2011, 11:38 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

I figured as much, but sometimes things that go without saying shouldn't so I went for maximum clarity.
Old February 19, 2011, 11:45 PM   #7
orionengnr

As a fairly new reloader, I will admit to having had one. Mine was the result of no powder in one case. How that happened...I can only speculate. But I have a fair idea.

The primer ignited, a "pop" instead of a "bang", the empty case was ejected, the bullet moved forward but not very far. The next round did not fully chamber due to the bullet stuck in the barrel. That was enough of a clue to get me to investigate further. All worked out well.

It has certainly not deterrred me from handloading, but has inspired me to be more vigilant. Anything that causes an interruption in the sequence...and I mean anything...mandates a full stop, a review and confirmation of where each cartridge is in the process, and a careful, considered resumption of the process.

If you are loading single-stage, this will probably never happen to you. Which is a fairly powerful recommendation for new loaders to start on a single stage press. However, I was given a (non-auto-indexing) progressive, and jumped right in. Good idea or bad, what is done is done.

Don't let a few isolated instances scare you off. While it is certainly possible to hurt yourself, you can minimize the risk by starting with low-pressure cartridges such as .38 Spl or .45 acp.

At the risk of incurring universal abuse, it is my opinion/experience that these cartridges are more forgiving of common new loader erreors (not that one should be complacent). That is to say, they have a larger evelope.

Last edited by orionengnr; February 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old February 19, 2011, 11:49 PM   #8
Sport45

I have had several. Some from when the nylon bushing fell out of the powder measure on my Dillon 550b and some when a standard primer didn't light a charge of magnum powder.

Sometimes the report is so low you are tempted to think it was a "dud". Always eject a "dud" and verify the bullet is still in the case. If it's not, check the bore before shooting again. In one instance I cited above the bullet did clear the barrel. But it looked like there was over 10gr of unburt powder in the barrel.
Old February 20, 2011, 04:51 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

Had one with light, cast bullet, target loads in my 1911. Shooting outside. Didn't notice anything until the pistol didn't fire. Looked and found a bulged barrel. The primer had enough power to push the bullet into the barrel, eject and chamber the next shot. The second shot pushed both bullets out, but caused the bulge. Result was a new barrel. Reloader operator failure caused the squib.
Likely would have heard just the primer if I had been inside. Would have been a whole lot worse with non-target loads or a jacketed bullet.
Old February 20, 2011, 10:13 AM   #10
bravo124

Had a squib while training with my MP-5. Was on full auto when it happened. Needless to say the MP-5 needed some new parts.
Old February 20, 2011, 10:24 AM   #11
goodspeed(TPF)

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! pfffft...

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 21, 2011, 02:58 PM   #12
langenc

Son in law was shooting 45 w/ 8 round mag. All of a sudden it wouldnt go into battery by less than 1/4". I was finished and he would have been with the end of that mag.

We called it a day, went home and sometime later I prepared to clean the gun and discovered a bullet in the tube.

He didnt note any difference in the poof-not a real experienced shooter. I was standing behind him kind looking down the sights to the target and I didnt note anything different in the poof, either.

LUCKY..