The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 31, 2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Jon80

Loads for a CVA Colonial .45?

Picked up an assembled Colonial for cheap money in good shape, I was thinking of using Pyrodex pistol pellets. (since I don't trust them igniting in my revolvers with CCI #10's) The musket caps should be hot enough to ignite the pellets reliably. Is 30 grains too much for this pistol? I was planning on using Speer .445 balls, should I patch them with the Pyrodex? I appreciate any advice, I can't find much info on shooting this pistol aside from the site issues.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:43 PM   #2
simonkenton

Yes you need to patch the round balls.
That pistol will handle 30 grains, no problem.

That little pistol uses musket caps?
Old January 31, 2010, 06:56 PM   #3
mykeal

The stock pistol as sold by CVA did not have a musket cap nipple; I presume it was modified later? Or perhaps the OP meant magnum caps.

Magnum caps should ignite the Pyrodex pellets; if not, use a small charge (2-3 gr) of loose powder before you load the pellet.

Simon is correct; 30 gr is within the capability of that barrel. I would think 40 gr is the limit it can burn effectively.

Old January 31, 2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Jon80

Yes, it uses musket caps. The salesman thought it was odd too, but they fit like a charm on it. The nipple on it looks fairly new.
Old February 1, 2010, 10:18 AM   #5
mykeal

Musket cap nipples have larger thread diameters than regular pistol or rifle nipples; they come in 5/16X18, 5/16X1 and 8mmX1. The thread size for the regular CVA Colonial pistol is 6mmX1.

One explanation for the difference could be that the original nipple threads were corroded and it couldn't be removed, so it had to be drilled out. The smith then opened up the hole and installed the larger thread musket nipple.

In any case, this would be clue to me that the pistol may not have been well maintained, so check the bore very carefully. You might also want to remove the lock and barrel and check for corrosion underneath the wood. The drum may have a cleanout screw; that should also be removed and the area inside the drum inspected.