The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 8, 2009, 01:20 AM   #1
olyinaz

Old Army "ting"

Something that's bothered me for years:

When I cock my Old Army it makes a metallic ringing sound that I can best describe as similar to a "ting". Very high pitched and probably not noticeable to many people but it bugs the heck outta me because I like the sound of machinery that works like a Mercedes door shutting. In other words, pretty much as my Colt and S&W revolvers do!

I've looked the thing over up and down and it's functioning just fine and has been for the over 20 years that I've owned it so with that in mind can any of you offer an opinion as to what's making that sound? Even better, can any of you hear it with your Old Army revolvers? Even better yet - any ideas how to damp it?

My guess is it's something in either the loading rod or the main spring making the noise but I'd love to hear (without a "ting") your thoughts.

Thanks,
Oly
Old March 8, 2009, 07:03 AM   #2
Dingoboyx

G'day from down under

I take it you have a Ruger old army? If so, I have and regularly shoot SASA and black powder comps using a pair of stainless old army's (for SASA I usually compete with Ruger Vaquaros, 1 is 44-40 and 1 is 44 mag)

Here in Oz, we can usually only get crappy black powder (probably fireworks grade.... without the sparkly bits.... lol ) I used to be able to get pyrodex which was of course much cleaner. When I am forced to use cruddy stuff, I find my old armys tend to get clunky and have problems advancing and indexing, and make a bit of noise turning the wheel. I now after every days shooting, totally dissassemble them and clean the gunk out of them. By this, I mean totally strip and soak in real hot soapy water, clean, dry in oven (or blow with compressed air) re assemble with good gun oil. If you havent pulled it down before (ever) you will probably find the trigger-hammer and indexing area caked with crud and a good clean will help. You can google "ruger old army instruction Manual" and get an operation manual with exploded diagram, but it is quite easy.
Check it is unloaded, cylinder out, Grips off, loosen hammer screw, trigger screw, indexind lock pivot screw, 5 screws hold grip frame to cylinder body. Rest the barrel on your bench handle facing up (stand it on the barrel), left thumb thru the trigger guard holding the grip frame to the main frame, undo the 5 screws the last one to undo is the single screw forward of the trigger guard. As you undo the last screw, keep some weight on your clamping hand as the grip frame will push away from the main frame. Have a good look and draw for yourself where things go, especially the indexing lock lever spring. It locates in a small hole you can hardly see. I think your "ting" noise night have something to do with this spring, could be busted? When you take out the trigger, there is a small spring and pawl behind it, and lastly there is a small spring and pawl in between the main housings that keeps the hammer indexing bar (that turns the wheel when you cock it) against the wheel. Put all the screws, hammer and springs in a bowl of hot soapy water, the rest in a bucket of hot soapy water. Let soak. Scrub and dry everything. Reassemble with good oil (not too much if you arent going to do this again for a long time (oil gathers crud and makes mud) but if you get into the habit of doing this (nearly) every time, use plenty of oil. (just not in the chambers or nipple areas) Remember where trigger spring and pawl go, where the indexing arm spring locates into tiny hole in frame, and dont forget when putting the grip frame on the main frame the little spring and pawl go in first. Use the same hand grip to hold the frames together like before and loosly put the 1st of the 5 screws forward of the trigger guard in first (then the 2 next to the hammer, then the bottom 2. Then progressively tighten the back 2, the bottom 2 and the front 1. Then, Go over them tightly in the same order. Tighten up the other screws (hammer, trigger, index arm screws) cock it to see it all works, hammer has half cock and full cock, index lock came up and push bar from hammer would have turned the wheel if it were in place. All works.... cylinder in, oil only on pin it wheels on. Wipe over with a clean oily rag..... and go have a shot
Old March 8, 2009, 08:19 AM   #3
pohill

Now that you mention it, my ROA has a slight ping when I cock it, but not on all cylinders. You really have to listen to hear it. Anyways, I ignore it because, well, it doesn't effect anything that I know of on the best black powder gun ever made.
Old March 8, 2009, 09:14 AM   #4
sundance44s

Now you done it ...I have 2 and have never heard anything but the sound of a good solid lock up ...I`ll check them out latter and see if I can hear any thing different .............I could be tone deaf to it though ...dang ringing in my ears never stops .
Old March 8, 2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

G'day from down under

Try taking the handles off and the cylinder out then cock it and see if the noise is still there. If it is, watch the lock arm come up and see if this is where the noise comes from. Even get a buddy to slowly cock it a few times so you can fully concentrate on identifying at least where (which end of the gun) the noise is actually coming from.
I have just been fiddling with one of my old armies and I reckon I might be right. The only way I can think of getting a noise like that on cocking is if the chanel where the index locking bar pivots is full of crud, so the index lock arm is held back and "tings" into place when it feels like it. If you dont want (or arent confident) to pull it down like I said earlier, try getting a spray can of gun degreaser with a nozzle extension, aim it real close into where the index lock arm pops up to lock the wheel. Keep spraying (flushing) and see if you can get the crud to come out the trigger slot? Then soak the whole thing in really hot soapy water, rinse, and blow compressed air down the index lock slot and up thru the trigger slot(to try to blow out any crud and also to dry it) then get some oil in there to lube it and stop it rusting. Worth a go, but personally, I reckon it needs a real good strip and proper clean.

good luck,

The Ruger Old Army is a fabulous gun for its age. Here in Oz we shoot a distance of 25 meters with a top score of 240 from 24 shots. I won my comp last year with mine (RoA stainless 7.5" barrel) top scoring with a 222 out of the possible 240. I also have a pair of Pietta (Remington New Army) .44 cap & ball, but they seem a bit thin and flimsy (lightly built)... give me the weight and balance of the Ruger any day. Their accuracy stuns a few folk.... especially the ones who didnt know these type of pistols have rifling. I tell them the guns are old, not prehistoric... I had a guy from the Police Pistol Club where I shoot a Glock 34 (9x19) and a Walther P22 (5") hassling me to "get a real gun" so we had a comp. First he said 25 meters was too far, they shoot 7 yards and 15 yards, so I out shot him at 25m, 15yd and 7yd, then did it again with my .44 mag Vaquaro. Guess who had egg on their face?
Old March 8, 2009, 10:47 AM   #6
pohill

My ROA has been completely stripped and cleaned every time I shoot it, and it still makes a slight, distant "ping" when cocked. It's not loud and I never paid it much attention.
I said that the ROA was the best BP gun ever made, and I mean that in a technical sense. As far as style, grace, ease of handling, feel, etc, nothing beats a Colt. A Colt is a work of art that goes bang.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:12 PM   #7
olyinaz

Thanks guys

Thanks loads guys, I really appreciate it.

Aussie feller: (I'd call you buy name if you'd given it!) Thanks for the very detailed ideas regarding where the noise is coming from. I'll try taking it all the way down and see if I can find something. I've had this beauty for over 20 years and really do clean it well after shooting (grips off, hot soapy water etc.) but I've not done a complete take down so I'll give it a try.

What's great to hear is that some of you also hear something similar but it's also good to hear that perhaps some don't so maybe there's some hope of me getting rid of the noise. After the Army and flying airplanes and everything else I've done to my hearing I've got that damned ringing noise in my ears 24/7 as well but by George the noise still comes through loud and clear. It's perhaps even more annoying because of my hearing loss (if you can fathom that).

Dude from Oz: I'll have to admit that I was flabbergasted to hear that you have SASS type shooting Down Under! I've been to lovely Sydney and I enjoy pretty much everything Australian except what I thought I knew of your gun laws and I didn't think you could even posses a Ruger Old Army much less a Glock! That really surprised me.

If anyone else can hear this noise do please let me know because I'd like to know if it's just a standard issue thing regarding the Old Army.

Best,
Oly

Last edited by olyinaz; March 8, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:14 PM   #8
olyinaz

>>>My ROA has been completely stripped and cleaned every time I shoot it, and it still makes a slight, distant "ping" when cocked. It's not loud and I never paid it much attention. I said that the ROA was the best BP gun ever made, and I mean that in a technical sense. As far as style, grace, ease of handling, feel, etc, nothing beats a Colt. A Colt is a work of art that goes bang.<<<

Thanks so much dude, I really appreciate the effort and the report back. And I could not agree more regarding the Colts! I do like my Remmie (and my Old Army) but an open top Colt is just flat out a work of art.

Best,
Oly
Old March 8, 2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Dingoboyx

G'day from down under

True Pohill, Colts ar great guns. I have a Uberti Colt Dragoon .44 cap & ball, weighs ****loads.... 4.1 lb from memory.... you wouldnt want to be pistol whipped with one, thats fo sure. Mine is actually still new, unfired, havent wanted to shoot it..... looks too nice, lol. Mine has the stage coach and cowboys chasing indians as the engraving on the wheel. Have shot a 36 colt and a couple of .44's similar to my Dragoon, but I am happy with my ROA as my comp. shoot.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:34 PM   #10
madcratebuilder

My ROA has three distinct 'clicks', half cock notch/trigger return, bolt, full cock. No 'ringing'. Very solid sounding.
Could it be the trigger return plunger hitting the back of the trigger?
Old March 8, 2009, 12:53 PM   #11
Dingoboyx

G'day from down under

Hey Olyinaz, no probs, Muzza (Murray) this end. Here in Oz all the states and territories have different gun laws, very strict on handguns and their storeage. In my territory, ACT (Australian Capital Territory) someone wanting a H (handgun) licence has to join a handgun club, apply for a 'Police Criminal History Search' to see if you have been naughty, attend the club 6 times in 6 months, get your instructor to sign you off on a licence..... wait 6 months (still shooting at the club )then you can purchase, wait for it...... a .22 pistol and .....an air pistol!! lmao. I was lucky coz I shot Black powder my first gun was the ROH .44 c&b. Here we are only allowed up to 9mm/.38 but being in Black powder (and SASA) and 44 is a black powder caliber we can have up to .45 single action revolvers. Then, to maintain your H licence, you have to shoot 6 club events per year. Also, being in the Police Pistol Club, can have anything up to 9mm/.38. Most shoot Glock, Browning, S&W, Trojan and various .22s semi autos, or S&W double action revolvers .38s/.357 with side wheel (speedloaders) My Glock 34 has a stainless (rifled) barrel, like a Basto barrel but some other brand and a long mag release button, otherwise stock. Licenced pistol shooters can buy as much ammo as you want and there is no limit (yet) on how much propellant you can keep. Oh, but you can only buy 10kg of powder.... per day?! lol. ACT is a small territory, so handguns are for range only.... no carry, no hunting. And we are allowed to put 10 rounds in our mags..... hehehehehe and they are still only a pistol.... not an assault weapon.... And you can even have the screw-off barrel nut on the Walther P22.
Catch y'all later, email if you want, remember there is 14 hours time difference
cheers, Muzza
Old March 8, 2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Dingoboyx

G'day from down under

Hey Olyinaz, no probs, Muzza (Murray) this end. Here in Oz all the states and territories have different gun laws, very strict on handguns and their storeage. In my territory, ACT (Australian Capital Territory) someone wanting a H (handgun) licence has to join a handgun club, apply for a 'Police Criminal History Search' to see if you have been naughty, attend the club 6 times in 6 months, get your instructor to sign you off on a licence..... wait 6 months (still shooting at the club )then you can purchase, wait for it...... a .22 pistol and .....an air pistol!! lmao. I was lucky coz I shot Black powder my first gun was the ROH .44 c&b. Here we are only allowed up to 9mm/.38 but being in Black powder (and SASA) and 44 is a black powder caliber we can have up to .45 single action revolvers. Then, to maintain your H licence, you have to shoot 6 club events per year. Also, being in the Police Pistol Club, can have anything up to 9mm/.38. Most shoot Glock, Browning, S&W, Trojan and various .22s semi autos, or S&W double action revolvers .38s/.357 with side wheel (speedloaders) My Glock 34 has a stainless (rifled) barrel, like a Basto barrel but some other brand and a long mag release button, otherwise stock. Licenced pistol shooters can buy as much ammo as you want and there is no limit (yet) on how much propellant you can keep. Oh, but you can only buy 10kg of powder.... per day?! lol. ACT is a small territory, so handguns are for range only.... no carry, no hunting. And we are allowed to put 10 rounds in our mags..... hehehehehe and they are still only a pistol.... not an assault weapon.... And you can even have the screw-off barrel nut on the Walther P22.
Catch y'all later, email if you want, remember there is 14 hours time difference
cheers, Muzza
Old March 8, 2009, 04:50 PM   #13
olyinaz

>>>My ROA has three distinct 'clicks', half cock notch/trigger return, bolt, full cock. No 'ringing'. Very solid sounding. Could it be the trigger return plunger hitting the back of the trigger?<<<

At this point I'm entertaining all notions so I'll look into that. Thanks.

Best,
Oly
Old March 8, 2009, 04:57 PM   #14
olyinaz

Thanks for the interesting info Muzza! In short - it's not as bad as I thought but it's still pretty restrictive. Still, it's great that you can enjoy range time and competition so that's wonderful.

Hey, if you can find the time (and I know that's a big "if") I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love it if you posted some photos of a SASA meet and/or any other range time. I'd be fascinated to see what cowboy action shooting looks like anywhere else.

And thanks again for the solid info - I'll get after my ROA and see what I can find.

Cheers,
Oly
Old March 8, 2009, 06:15 PM   #15
sundance44s

I checked both of mine for the mistery ting ....only if I take the cylinders out and cock the hammer back real slow can I hear a ting . and it comes with the second click ...it`s the cylinder lock up bolt slapping up against the bottom of the frame window ....not a problem just good strong springs .
Old March 8, 2009, 07:47 PM   #16
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I checked both of mine for the mistery ting ....only if I take the cylinders out and cock the hammer back real slow can I hear a ting . and it comes with the second click ...it`s the cylinder lock up bolt slapping up against the bottom of the frame window ....not a problem just good strong springs .
Good job! That makes sense, the bolt hitting the frame could very well cause a ringing.

When I dry fire my 686 S&W it apparently makes a high freq sound because it makes one of my cats go nuts. He tries to take the gun from my hand and he's almost big enough to do it.
Old March 9, 2009, 12:14 AM   #17
kirpi97

Now I may be deaf, but my ROA has one of the best cocking sounds of any of my revolvers. But this little revolver was misused and abused. It took a long time to clean off the rust and it still has pits from the black powder. But it works fine. Looks like hell though. But no tinny sound.

Now I did some playing with it. And I did notice a slight ringing when I removed the cylinder and dry fired. The culprit was the plunger. When it was removed the ringing wasn't there. But that only was present when the cylinder was removed. Once everything was tighten up and put back together, it worked fine.

Now for my solution on how to dampen it. Ear plugs. What one doesn't hear can't bother him. (Just joking)

Last edited by kirpi97; March 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old March 9, 2009, 07:57 AM   #18
sundance44s

I didn`t not hear the ting sound with the cylinder in it because the lock up bolt contacts the notch in the cylinder before the bolt bottomed out on the frame ....
Old March 9, 2009, 12:40 PM   #19
olyinaz

Thanks again fellas!

Best,
Oly
Old March 9, 2009, 01:03 PM   #20
williamfeldmann

All four of my Old Armies have a "ting" to some extent or another during cocking. I am almost positive by now that it has to do with the spring in the grip. I don't know how you would ever git rid of it without going to a much lighter spring and that would have ill effects of its own.

Earlier it was discussed how to take the grip frame off and how you need to hang on to it cause the hammer spring wants to push away. There is a much easier way to do that. Cock the gun with the grip panels off and you will see that the spring bar extends through the block and there will be a hole showing (very bottom almost in the corner of the grip frame). Take a trusty finish nail or strong needle and stick it through, and then let down the hammer. The spring will still be fully tensioned and will lift the block free of the grip frame. The spring and plunger should slip right out now for dissasembly. This makes it much easier on the screws, not to mention your hands when doing full dissembly.
Old March 9, 2009, 07:41 PM   #21
olyinaz

>>>Earlier it was discussed how to take the grip frame off and how you need to hang on to it cause the hammer spring wants to push away. There is a much easier way to do that. Cock the gun with the grip panels off and you will see that the spring bar extends through the block and there will be a hole showing (very bottom almost in the corner of the grip frame). Take a trusty finish nail or strong needle and stick it through, and then let down the hammer. The spring will still be fully tensioned and will lift the block free of the grip frame. The spring and plunger should slip right out now for dissasembly. This makes it much easier on the screws, not to mention your hands when doing full dissembly.<<<

Thank you sir. I was aware of that but it's good to have the information refreshed. Also, it's good to hear that you hear the "ting" also.

Best,
Oly
Old March 10, 2009, 02:59 AM   #22
Smokin_Gun

It's the ROA's Trigger on the first click at the halfcocked position ... watch the trigger and listen.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old March 10, 2009, 08:00 AM   #23
williamfeldmann

It is the half cock click that tings, but I don't see anything about the trigger that looks to be 'tinging'. I suppose the trigger return could be but I don't see it happening. If it were the trigger return it would be as the trigger jumps forward it would leave a space for the return to ting as it hits the trigger again, right?