The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old October 19, 2012, 03:28 PM   #26
HiBC

I suggest we remember that every day,with our actions and our words,and our comments here,we are stewards of the RTKBA.

I believe we all have a responsibility to to to practice our shooting sports in a safe and responsible manner.The same holds true in our communication.

Lets not give the anti-gun folks material to turn against us.

I could imagine some mainstream media show using this video to present a case to the general public supporting an AWB.They can use these fools to represent us.

And,once again,the title of this thread discredits our military as "stupid" by assigning them responsibility for this stunt.

I strongly believe the OP came to the wrong conclusion about that.

I think our military does not deserve to have this smeared on them.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:44 PM   #27
Double Naught Spy

So you think the guys doing the show are pro-gun NRA types?
Old October 19, 2012, 04:08 PM   #28
HiBC

I do not understand the point of your question.What are you trying to say?

I do not know anything about them.I only have control over myself.I can make choices about how I conduct myself.

When I am shooting or writing on this forum,or having conversations in public about firearms and shooting,other folks are watching,and forming opinions about shooting and gun ownership in general.

If I perform or communicate as a Jackass with a gun,I not only make a fool of myself,I discredit other shooters and the RTKBA.

My feedback to the stunt,it is stupid,irresponsible,and deserves no encouragement.I want to clearly say it does not represent me.

Its wrong to say the stunt represents our military.Thats what I had to say.If you have something to say,please do.
Old October 19, 2012, 04:39 PM   #29
Willie D

On the other hand, if you can't hit a ballon with a rifle at 10yds...
Old October 19, 2012, 08:17 PM   #30
p loader

Quote:
Not military stupidity. It may not be necessary, but SF guys train with shooting past one another, so the fact that somebody stands absolutely still an let's trained folks shoot by isn't too terrible at all. I would not do it voluntarily, but if there is an issue of stupidity, it is of the guy letting themselves be shot by.
Agreed, highly trained assaulters shoot within inches of each other all the time during training. It all comes down to the environment and the people you are with, and the purpose of the training exercise.

That said the video was ridiculous and pointless.
Old October 20, 2012, 07:57 AM   #31
jmr40

I'd stand there and let lots of guys shooot ballons out of my mouth. Not sure about those guys though. The guy who couldn't clear his malfuction was not confidence inspiring. In combat you shoot that close, or closer to your buddies quite often. At greater range, in the dark and while they are moving. This looks pretty simple to me, especially for some of OUR highly trained SF guys.
Old October 20, 2012, 08:56 AM   #32
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Its wrong to say the stunt represents our military.

...If you have something to say,please do.
OK, then. Assuming you're from the US: it wasn't your military...

Quote:
Not sure about those guys though. The guy who couldn't clear his malfuction was not confidence inspiring.
Not that I'm endorsing the whole stunt nor saying that I'd stand there, balloon betwixt teeth, but not being able to quickly clear a malfunction and being a bad shot are not the same thing IMO...

As long as he could shoot straight, not quickly clearing a jam is not really an issue for me.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:26 AM   #33
Chris_B

Quote:
Didn't Annie Oakley used to shoot lit cigarettes out of her husband's and other peoples mouths? Would you consider them stupid as well?
The Kaiser was one of those "other people"
Old October 20, 2012, 09:37 AM   #34
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I do not understand the point of your question.What are you trying to say?
You give your little spiel on how we are the stewards of the RTKBA as a result of the video, but obviously the guys conducting the video (Catfish, Rooftop, and the purported Lebanese Special Forces) are not such types to care one iota about RTKBA. They aren't any part of "we." So why lecture the rest of us one what two TV/internet goobers and people from another country are doing in regard to our Constitution?

In fact, the show in question, "Strangers in Danger" takes place commonly in locations outside of the United States.

Quote:
Its wrong to say the stunt represents our military.Thats what I had to say.If you have something to say,please do.
LOL, you seem to be the only one thinking that the shooters are our military or represent our military. They aren't and don't.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:59 AM   #35
Husqvarna

there was a bunch of these kind of videos online a while ago, turkish special forces IIRC, seemed to be a thing in that area, can't find them now thou
Old October 21, 2012, 03:46 AM   #36
Flopsweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond
On a more practical note: surely, with an M4 firing in your direction, you wouldn't really "hear the bullet whizz", as one of the two "presenters" claimed in their video, would you?
I have personally heard a .22 whizz by my ear. I'm not sure if you'd hear it above the report of a gun fired from that close. In my case the rifle was at least 50 yards away.
Old October 21, 2012, 04:54 AM   #37
HiBC

Double Naught

Reading the OP,I jumped to the conclusion the OP was suggesting this stunt was pulled by our military.He did not clearly state so,perhaps my mistake,but it still seems to me that was the implication.For decades I have watched our media disrespect our military.I take exception to it.

I understand other folks around the world are part of TFL,but in general it seems to have a default USA context.Folks from other locations generally tell us where the thread applies.Columns in "The Hunt" or "Legal" are typically talking in USA context.

I do not watch TV or follow this silly show.You apparently know all the characters on a first name basis.Interesting.

I was not lecturing anyone.I stand by what I said.

We are either part of the solution,or part of the problem.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:47 AM   #38
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Reading the OP,I jumped to the conclusion the OP was suggesting this stunt was pulled by our military.
Yes you did, despite the OP never suggesting anything like that.

Quote:
I do not watch TV or follow this silly show.You apparently know all the characters on a first name basis.Interesting.

I was not lecturing anyone.I stand by what I said.

We are either part of the solution,or part of the problem.
Apparently you don't read either because the information was posted with the video. Interesting. A quick Google search brought up the show. Ignorance about which you are speaking is part of the problem.

"We" is when you are lecturing.
Old October 21, 2012, 03:22 PM   #39
Bamashooter

I doubt what someone does in the military in Lebanon is going to effect my RKBA here in the USA. Run the shooter back 100yrds and see how well you trust your fellow soldier then.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:27 PM   #40
pgpipefitter

Not Annie Oakley

Not Annie Oakley shooting cigs. It was the Topperweins man and wife shooting team Check them out the were better than Annie Oakley.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:34 PM   #41
lewwetzel

I generally have a lot of respect and appreciation for those who serve in the military, but even if these weren't our guys we shouldn't need to be reminded of the few of ours who embarrass the U.S. military, e.g. Tailhook scandal, cheating @ military academies, forcing fundamentalist Christianity on recruits, etc. Politically, just look what happened to Navy top gun Duke Cunningham (now in prison). To an admittedly lesser degree, our Ohio GOP Ohio Senate candidate, ex-Marine Josh Mandel, is simply a serial liar and unprincipled punk, who once called a rival a Muslim (he wasn't) to win a position Mandel wasn't qualified for. Pretty slimy -especially for an Iraq veteran - to falsely imply an innocent American citizen trying to do his civic duty is a terrorist, when brave souls are overseas fighting real ones.

Last edited by lewwetzel; October 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:57 PM   #42
p loader

So I take it you are voting for Mandel then?

People who get caught up in taking sides in politics amuse me.
Old October 26, 2012, 12:01 AM   #43
Pond, James Pond

Muslim and terrorist are not synonyms.

One may be the other but then the same can be said for all sorts of people and movements...
Old October 26, 2012, 08:11 AM   #44
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Enough.
Closed Thread