The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 20, 2013, 08:42 PM   #1
LewSchiller

It's not Three Thugs - it's Gun Violence

I don't know if this is the right forum but right now I'm so spitting mad I can hardly see straight.
By now you've probably heard of the 22 year old collegiate baseball player from Australia who was murdered by three teenage thugs who admit to doing it because they were bored.
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...slain-20018968

Kindly Lester Holt on NBC Nightly News described it as 'Another incidence of Gun Violence". Not "Another incidence of criminally insane behavior by out of control teenage boys" .... "Gun Violence"

Old August 20, 2013, 10:33 PM   #2

Of course, NBC got it wrong. NBC also edited 911 audiotapes to make it appear that George Zimmerman was acting under racial motivations. NBC has an anti-gun agenda and will never fail to twist the facts of a story to advance that agenda. It's what they do.

Just like the rest of the liberal lame-stream media, NBC is 'tone-deaf'. Getting mad at NBC is like getting mad at a brick wall. It's a waste of time.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:39 PM   #3
LewSchiller

I know - you're right....
Old August 21, 2013, 02:15 AM   #4
Lprmcnit

I followed the link on Drudge to the Australia Herald story. This was also initially the same nauseating spin they gave it there as well, though the tone seemed to have changed a bit later in the day. At least in Australia they actually showed pictures of the suspects.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:19 AM   #5
twins

Quote:
Kindly Lester Holt on NBC Nightly News described it as 'Another incidence of Gun Violence".
Lew,

If Mr. Holt stated "Another incidence of violence with a gun", would that be a correct statement?

Last edited by twins; August 21, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:50 AM   #6
musher

Twins,

The issue isn't semantic correctness, though neither is correct. It is the selection of particular phrasing to advance an agenda. There is no question that is what's happening.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:39 AM   #7
LewSchiller

Quote:
I think they're all just lazy and rely on catch-phrases to convey the story. Continuing to beat the gun violence drum is just a bonus.
I'd like to be able to believe that but nothing happens by accident. They're working right out of the play book.

They ignore and play down Chicago - when they have to cover it it's "Gun Violence"
Old August 21, 2013, 09:02 AM   #8
MLeake

While the initial story was one of boredom, later reports indicate the boys were members of a new branch of the Crips that had expanded out of Lawton, OK. These reports included photos of the boys in Crip attire, flashing gang signs, and hanging out with felons.

The man who turned them in, did so because he said they were trying to recruit his son into the Crips, and threatening to kill him if he refused.

So they may have been bored, but I suspect they were trying to build street cred with the gang.

Last edited by MLeake; August 21, 2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling (iPhone and fat fingers...)
Old August 21, 2013, 09:04 AM   #9
MLeake

And, of course, the mother of the Luna creature and the father of the Edwards creature both claim that their sons are innocent, and good boys to boot.

The driver, at least, has already confessed to his role.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:19 AM   #10
LewSchiller

Quote:
So they may have been bored, but I suspect they were trying to build street cred with the gang.
That makes sense.
I, too, find the regular parade of parents trying to explain away and cover up for their thug children repugnant.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11
KyJim

Quote:
I, too, find the regular parade of parents trying to explain away and cover up for their thug children repugnant.
I think it's a coping mechanism. I don't subscribe to that way of thinking but I understand it. I just consider the source and don't pay it any attention.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Pilot

Comcast owns NBC. Brian Roberts, Comcast CEO is a close personal friend, and fund raiser for Obama. So is Comcast second in command David Cohen, and many other if not all of their execs. They were partying, and playing golf with Obama on Martha's Vineyard recently. Thick as thieves.

Are you surprised that NBC is the TASS or PRAVDA of the USSA?
Old August 21, 2013, 09:48 AM   #13
LewSchiller

Quote:
I think it's a coping mechanism. I don't subscribe to that way of thinking but I understand it.
Yeah. Back in my youth there was a family of borderline ne'er–do–wells. One of the boys was in front of a judge for some juvenile thing. His dad stood up and told the judge that he should send the kid to reform school (remember reform schools?) because it would be the best thing for him.

Always admired that.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:50 AM   #14
LewSchiller

Quote:
Are you surprised that NBC is the TASS or PRAVDA of the USSA?
No. It disgusts me that as the "Evening News" ratings leader they shape false opinions through their dishonest reporting.

But you're right. Thick as Thieves.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:52 AM   #15
Pilot

Lew. It disgusts me too. I just don't understand how a large percentage of the population falls for this crap.

Say Hi to the Castle Café for me.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:40 AM   #16
musher

Quote:
Lew. It disgusts me too. I just don't understand how a large percentage of the population falls for this crap.
Half have an IQ<100.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:56 AM   #17
LewSchiller

Quote:
Say Hi to the Castle Café for me.
I'll wave as I drive by on my way to work the gun show at the Event Center this weekend.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:03 AM   #18
SC4006

People fall for that crap because a lot of them are not brought up around guns, so they don't know the good things about them, or that they can be fun. All they hear about guns are the negative aspects of them which comes from the media.

Back to the original post though, if it were a baseball bat or knife these idiots used, only then would the media have blamed the person and not the weapon.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:04 AM   #19
LewSchiller

Quote:
Back to the original post though, if it were a baseball bat or knife these idiots used, only then would the media have blamed the person and not the weapon.
Possibly but I think they'd have found a way to blame society as a whole and/or racism.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:29 AM   #20
Strafer Gott

This low IQ crap has got to stop. It's profiling, and I resent it. What does IQ have to do with hunting and the shooting sports? The whole IQ thing is vastly over-rated. If anything, I would consider that it's the higher intelligence quotient folks are more easily sucked in by yellow journalism.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:43 AM   #21
MLeake

Strafer Gott, I assume it was a joke. The point being, an IQ of 100 is statistical average, so half of any audience is likely to have an IQ at or under 100.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:45 AM   #22
LewSchiller

I agree Strafer.
As one of my Radio Buddies - Dennis Prager - is fond of saying... you have to have gone to graduate school to be that naive.
The youts of today have gone to school from age 4 to age 23 or so. They've been trained to not question what they're told at the risk of their grades. That's why people who go out and work for a year or two - or who are returning from the Military - and then go to College are such a disruption. They're far more likely to call B.S....which the educators cannot tolerate.
Old August 21, 2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

Complaining about media has wandered away from any relationship to a real firearms issue.

Whether media is biased is a fun discussion - of course, they are. All networks are but that's not a firearms discussion.

Thus, closed.