The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 7, 2013, 11:18 PM   #1
lordhedgwich

Will we be like the UK?

I have not been following all the gun control debate stuff to closely as i try not to get to involved shooting and gun owning for me is a hobby and me and my gf have guns for self defense too. what im asking is will the US ever become like the UK were they arnt allowed to have firearms for defense?
Old January 8, 2013, 12:40 AM   #2
MLeake

Well, if all the other gun owners were like you, and did not want to get involved, then the odds are we would end up like the UK.

Hopefully, you will benefit from the efforts of those of us who do get involved.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Xfire68

No we will never be like the UK.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:13 AM   #4
mack59

No.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Pfletch83

Not as long as I can draw a breath,and I'm sure the feeling is the same with others in the gun owning community.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:20 AM   #6
coachteet

Nope. The Brits don't have a Constitution.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:24 AM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
i try not to get to involved
The next-to-worst of all possible worlds ...... "obsequiousness" would be the topper.

Quote:
far better ...... though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
-Teddy Roosevelt
Old January 8, 2013, 11:08 AM   #8
lordhedgwich

jim and mleake there is a reason i dont get involved there is not need to try and flame me for it. besides im not very good in debates
Old January 8, 2013, 11:13 AM   #9
MLeake

I disagree. Pro-gunners who sit on the sidelines right now are not pro-gunners.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Any more to say besides disagreeing with the OP?

Say something new. Yes, get involved or lose your rights.

More?
Old January 8, 2013, 12:13 PM   #11
MLeake

Glenn, what else is there to say to something like that?
Old January 8, 2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
jim and mleake there is a reason i dont get involved
I'd like to hear why.

Otherwise, I don't see much reason to leave this open.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:10 PM   #13
JWT

We won't end up like the UK unless they change the constitution.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:21 PM   #14
g.willikers

No, we are not like the British.
They are subjects, we are citizens.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Dre_sa

I think it highly unlikely that gun control will ever make it that far. I'm inclined to say that we don't have to worry right now, because congress is so divided.

Just look at the financial debates that were supposed to be done before Jan 1st. and the results still are not satisfactory.

In my mind, should the worst case scenario happen, many people will seal their guns up in airtight / water tight cases and bury them somewhere, waiting for the government to either realize their mistake and repeal, or to let the laws expire. Either way we will once again be allowed to own arms.

I don't think we have anything to worry about, as the law makers cannot decide on anything, except maybe raising their own wages.

Even if laws were to be passed banning all guns, there would be such civil unrest form those that don't want to give up their weapons, that it likely won't be enforced. Additionally those that would be employed to take the guns away (Law enforcement / military) likely won't want to. After all they swore to defend the country and the constitution.

Last edited by Dre_sa; January 8, 2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: adding aditional thoughts
Old January 8, 2013, 01:31 PM   #16
Xfire68

Quote:
In my mind, should the worst case scenario happen, many people will seal their guns up in airtight / water tight cases and bury them somewhere, waiting for the government to either realize their mistake and repeal, or to let the laws expire.

You don't really think that American gun owners will pack them up and hide them away and wait it out do you?

If a gun ban passed that would hardly be the worst case scenario....
Old January 8, 2013, 01:31 PM   #17
MLeake

Rather than counting on inertia and disarray to prevent harms, we should be proactively seeking to head them off before they can gestate.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:40 PM   #18
Dre_sa

Xfire, I think at least a few will resort to that. the majority will more than likely hand them over as law abiding citizens, but I doubt it will ever come to that.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:46 PM   #19
chris in va

The 2A is a series of 250 year old words. Until the last 50 years they spoke for themselves. Now they need constant tending, like a garden in a severe drought.

Throw in a plague of locusts, and you get the idea.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:57 PM   #20
Mr.Scott

If there is an attempt at confiscation the only thing that will be like the British here will be like in 1770s when we kicked their Limey butts. An armed resistance in the US would be unstoppable unless the government is willing to kill swaths of innocents to get 1 American Insurgent. Their is no logistical way to contain 1% of gun owners without drawing the ire of the previously indifferent.
Plus, do you want to be the police officer or federal forces guy that is at the front of the line doing 80 million raids across the nation?
These are truly trying times and it will only get worse.
I fully believe that the dems will not introduce anything until the next mass shooting event (that isn't stopped by a lawful gun owner). They will wait and hope to capitalize on the emotions of the moment. We've already seen allies of the 2nd amendment cave in and let emotions dictate their beliefs.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:02 PM   #21
gdvan01

Quote:
In my mind, should the worst case scenario happen, many people will seal their guns up in airtight / water tight cases and bury them somewhere, waiting for the government to either realize their mistake and repeal, or to let the laws expire. Either way we will once again be allowed to own arms.
If that were the case then wouldn't those that chose this path be criminals or risk the chance of detainment? Unless of course one were to 'hide' those weapons that the gubment didn't know / couldn't prove you owned? ( like a family hand-me-down or having a receipt showing a weapon that you owned was sold )

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old January 8, 2013, 02:08 PM   #22
Dre_sa

gdvan, with registration not being universally compulsory, it is possible that guns could be hidden. and yes, given the time and resources, I'd say it possible to hide just about anything from anyone.

Unfortunately, it would make you a criminal, but some people may be willing to take the chance.
Old January 8, 2013, 02:11 PM   #23
gdvan01

Quote:
Plus, do you want to be the police officer or federal forces guy that is at the front of the line doing 80 million raids across the nation?
...and wondering what's going on in the neighborhood where your family lives and everyone knows what you do?

The question of "what do you think the local cops would do if confiscation is ordered" has been posed on many boards and I really never thought about it until I read Paul Howe's blog post:

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/paul-ho...-by-paul-howe/

I can honestly say I am glad I am no longer in law enforcement as I feel many are starting to see the police with a dim aura of 'enemy'.

Old January 8, 2013, 02:12 PM   #24
MLeake

Mr. Scott, I watched an episode of "Police Women of Maricopa County" recently where officers went after a "drug house" in force.

The high school age son of a middle class family was apparently growing weed in his closet, and selling some to his peers.

The raid team took his father to the ground (though there was no evidence the father knew about this), and his twelve year old brother to the ground. One of the officers felt kind of sorry for the twelve year old...

Back around 1919, police departments around Boston were mobilized as goon squads to break clubs over the heads of labor organizers and immigrant leaders. My grandfather and his brothers (Sicilian immigrants in a mill town) had more than a few fights with such teams.

I think those who think the military or LE will give such things a lot of thought, and opt out of enforcing such laws, have not paid any attention to the last century.

Are there personnel who would support and defend the Constitution? Assuredly. A friend of mine was one such - he lost his job as a deputy in NC when he blew the whistle on two detectives who were railroading a suspect. The detectives still had their jobs, last I knew...
Old January 8, 2013, 02:15 PM   #25
gdvan01

Quote:
gdvan, with registration not being universally compulsory, it is possible that guns could be hidden. and yes, given the time and resources, I'd say it possible to hide just about anything from anyone.

Unfortunately, it would make you a criminal, but some people may be willing to take the chance.
Fully agree, Dre. Wasn't going so much for the registration aspect but more along the lines of our ever efficient gubment combing through firearms sales records and such. Yea, I know it has a Red Dawn ring to it with the 'bad guys' going to the local gun shop and checking sales records but that's the idea I was trying to convey.

Closed Thread