The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 1, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
shuttlenut13

Beretta quality is gone

In February of 2012, I purchased a new Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm pistol from Grady’s Great Outdoors in Anderson, SC. On Saturday November 17, 2012 I went to our local gun range to do some shooting. I was using the Beretta PX4 Storm and a new box of 9mm Remington ammo 115 gr. JHP (# L9MM1B). The first four bullets fired as normal and hit the target. The next round fired but failed to eject. I field stripped the gun and the fired shell fell out. I made sure the barrel was clear and unobstructed, replaced the magazine and loaded the slide and fired the next round. This round did not go off “it was a dud”. I field stripped the gun again removed a complete round. The barrel was totally clear, no obstruction was noted. I replaced the magazine and reloaded and fired the pistol and again no shell eject. I fielded stripped the gun again and discovered that the shell was still in the barrel of the gun and it was pushed backward. I could not remove it at the range but I did note that the round had fired.
When I got home I carefully tapped the on the barrel through the ejection port and the barrel and shell fell out. I cleaned the gun as I always do after shooting and discovered that the barrel would not fit back into the slide. The next day I took the gun to Grady’s Great Outdoors gun shop and they told me it had to be shipped back to the Beretta. That cost me $31.00 in shipping fees. Now I’m told by the Beretta representative that it will cost me $349.00 for a replacement barrel. I am 100% sure that nothing was ever obstructing the barell. ATTENTION BERETTA PERSONAL: IT IS THE little blue warrant booklet with three arrows at and top, you may want to read the information and become familiar with it. When I researched the internet for what type of 9mm I wanted I was impressed with what I read about Berettas’ PX4 Storm and could find no negative commits. BUT BUYER BEWARE: BEFORE YOU WAST YOUR MONEY AND CHANCE YOUR LIFE ON THE BERETTA STORM, take time to make an informed decision, is this the gun for me...
I had a Smith & a Wesson MP Series pistol that had to go back to the company, no problems---fixed on the spot. Same with a Ruger SR9 send back to Ruger, and the handgun was fixed and back very quickly. But not with Beretta. Like most USA companies, “they take no responsibility after the sell unless you have you have lots of $$$$$$$$”, I paid hard money for what I thought was one of the best 9mm on the market. I was completely wrong.
Sincerely:

Michael G. Phillips
Easley, South Carolina
Old December 1, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The next round fired but failed to eject. I field stripped the gun and the fired shell fell out.
Ok, at this point there's a problem beyond just a failure to eject. There should be no need to field strip a gun to eject a fired cartridge. It sounds like the extractor was missing or broken or there was some other serious problem with the gun. If the cartridge just fell out upon field stripping, it should have been possible to just open the slide and shake the cartridge out.
Quote:
I made sure the barrel was clear and unobstructed, replaced the magazine and loaded the slide and fired the next round. This round did not go off “it was a dud”. I field stripped the gun again removed a complete round. The barrel was totally clear, no obstruction was noted.
Two failures in a row is a serious red light. Especially since, once again, the shell didn't extract and you had to field strip the gun to get the unfired cartridge out of the gun. For future reference, it is never advisable to disassemble a loaded firearm. A better method would have been to lock the slide open and use something to get under the rim of the cartridge and remove it via the ejection port.

I would be very interested to see the primer on this dud round. The only thing I can figure is that the slide didn't fully go into battery (either due to some deformation of the barrel, or more likely because there was something in the chamber--possibly unburned powder--that prevented the shell from completely chambering) and that's why the round didn't fire. I'm not sure why it wouldn't extract/eject given that Beretta didn't mention replacing the extractor.
Quote:
I replaced the magazine and reloaded and fired the pistol and again no shell eject. I fielded stripped the gun again and discovered that the shell was still in the barrel of the gun and it was pushed backward. I could not remove it at the range but I did note that the round had fired.
So in this case, it sounds like the shell was jammed in the chamber after firing. That suggests an overpressure event. It would be very interesting to get a look at that fired cartridge.
Quote:
...discovered that the barrel would not fit back into the slide.
That is symptomatic of a barrel that has been bulged by firing it with an obstruction in the bore.

Without seeing the gun, going simply from the symptoms you list, here's the most plausible explanation:

1. The fifth round you fired was a squib and the bullet lodged in the barrel.

2. The sixth round failed to fully chamber and the gun failed to go fully into battery for some reason.

3. The seventh round chambered and when it fired, it cleared the obstruction, deforming/bulging the barrel and resulting in an overpressure event that jammed the empty cartridge in the chamber. I'll bet that neither of these bullets hit the target, or if they did, they hit way off center from the first 4 shots you fired.

4. When you got home, you were able to remove the empty cartridge and knock the barrel out of the slide but the bulge from firing the gun with the squib bullet in the bore prevented you from reassembling the gun.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:26 AM   #3
twhidd

At some point during that sequence of events you must have had a squib round that created an obstruction in the barrel. Then firing another round behind it damaged the barrel. All the other failures to extract, failures to fire, etc were undoubtedly somehow related to the that very expensive and dangerous mistake.

Conclusion....... operator error induced by bad ammo.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Posted in the wrong forum.

Please read this, which you should have read when you registered: http://thefiringline.com/forums/anno...t.php?f=1&a=97

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread

Tags
beretta quality gone