The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 3, 2012, 02:01 PM   #26
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Do you mean #3 Buck Shot? Outside 8 yards... less than Buck is left as last resort ammo...
You may have a tougher breed of bad guy in Florida. All my #3 shot rounds are steel shot and the soft skinned sissies up here would get punctured and bleed out just fine. Not all of us live in houses where buck or slug is a good idea and we have to compromise for family safety. We may not cut anybody in half or send his entrails flying across the yard with our #4 or #3 or BB shot but at ranges under 20' we can stop an attack if we have to.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 3, 2012, 09:43 PM   #27
motorhead0922

Guy, did your friend get the 20ga? If so, have her get a 18.5" barrel for it for HD. See my patterns here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472680
Old March 15, 2012, 03:30 PM   #28
Johnny Seven

I bought an 870 20 gauge youth for my young son and don’t see a big reduction in recoil over and 870 12 gauge. Perhaps the gun is just too light to offset the recoil. He will shoot one box of target loads before he is ready to call it quits for the day. When I use the gun with 3” buck shot, it kicks quite a bit more. I put a Blackhawk adjustable stock on it so it fits us both (he is 4’3 and I am 6’3) and hope to see some improvement in felt recoil for him (I miss looking at the wood stock though). Perhaps a full sized 12 gauge with reduced recoil loads would have been a better choice.
Old March 15, 2012, 04:19 PM   #29
Guy B. Meredith

About time to circle back here. Dianne did purchase a 20GA Mossberg combo set. Hopefully that means she'll get involved in more than self defense, but she is focusing on SHTF with Obama's administration in.

She's followed up on ammo suggestions here.

Thanks all.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old March 16, 2012, 10:01 AM   #30
Creek Henry

You could always get a 20gauge to 44magnum adapter for it