The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1
HondaCowboy82

240 Gibbs / 6mm Gibbs Ammo?

Ran across a 1903 custom chambered for the 240 Gibbs. Anybody got a source for ammo or anybody willing to reload a few boxes for me for a price?
Old June 7, 2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Scorch

I replied to your post in the Art of the Rifle forum. It's not just a matter of relaoding a few cases. The 240 Gibbs is a wildcat cartridge. You need dies and the gun in order to make ammo.
Old June 8, 2008, 09:45 AM   #3
oldscot3

I had a 6.5 Gibbs once upon a time, and reloading for a Gibbs is a process that requires a few extra steps that involve having the weapon on hand. For instance, with my 6.5 Gibbs, you began with unfired 270 brass, necked it down to 264 so the bolt would just close on the case, then loaded it and fireformed the case to the chamber. That fireforming blew the case out to minimum taper and also moved the shoulder forward. At that point you reloaded for the Gibbs with its increased capacity.

I doubt if anyone familiar with various wildcats would endorse the idea of having someone else load for your weapon without having it on hand as a potentially dangerous situation could arise.
Old June 9, 2008, 07:02 PM   #4
wncchester

Wildcat dies are hard to find and expensive to buy. The .240 Gibbs is basically the same cartridge as the Weatherby .240 Magnum and both show advantage over a .243 only with bullets of 100 grains or more. Unless you specifically a .240 Gibbs I think you would do better by getting the more conventional Magnum.
Old July 31, 2008, 06:16 PM   #5
GregL

Re: 240 Gibbs...

I have about 50 rounds of loaded ammo and a set of RCBS dies. They came in several boxes from an estate. You can have them for the shipping charge.
GregL
Old July 31, 2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Shoney

The 240 Gibbs is a derivative of the 30-06 case. Brass can be formed from the 30-06 case by using case forming dies:
http://www.huntingtons.com/dies_caseform.html
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old June 18, 2011, 07:09 AM   #7
booda

GregL,

Do you still have the 50 rounds and dies for the 240 gibbs??? Just picked one up.
Old June 18, 2011, 08:32 AM   #8
JerryM

I once chronographed a .30 Gibbs. It showed hot 30-06 velocities. I don't remember what his load was.
Many of those wildcatters used very long barrels and very high pressure loads to get advertised velocities.

I would be very interested in learning what your experience is with the 240 Gibbs. Please work up some loads, chronograph them, and let us know.

My own Pre 64 M70 .243 is a "fast" rifle. I have chronographed 100gr bullets over 3200 fps. Pressures had to be high, but no hard bolt lift or signs of excessive pressures. My working load is 45 gr 4350 with vel of 3150fps, and from the 22 in barrel.
That load was a recommended load when the .243 first came out, but current handbooks do not approach that. Evidently in some guns it is too hot. So as always begin with the recommended handbook starting loads and work up carefully.

I doubt that the .240 Gibbs will get much over 3200 fps with a 100 gr bullet unless the barrel is at least 26 -28 inches in length.
That is a reason I reload for all my guns.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 18, 2011, 12:10 PM   #9
brickeyee

Quote:
anybody willing to reload a few boxes for me for a price?
Seriously illegal without an 06 FFL.

You cannot sell reloads.