The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 21, 2006, 01:38 PM   #1
BP4ME

Newbie to Ball and Cap Revolvers need info!

Hello All,
My name is Randy and I'm new to this forum and Black Powder.
I have always loved the Colt Model 1851 Navy revolvers and have decided to purchase one but need a little info first.

First, who makes the revolvers that Traditions sells and distributes Pietta or Uberti?

Second, Which company makes a better piece? Pietta or Uberti?

Thanks, Randy
Old December 21, 2006, 02:34 PM   #2
marcseatac

On the Pietta Uberti question, I would not have said this two months ago but Uberti is a better firearm esp. for the Colts. IMHO
Old December 22, 2006, 12:01 PM   #3
vpjack

I have one of these from Traditions and it's a Pietta, as to which is better I think it's pretty much a wash. I will say that mine has worked very well and I have had no problems with it, this includes shooting some cowboy matches with it.

Jack
Old December 22, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Steve499

I own two Ubertis and one Pietta. The finish on the Ubertis might have an edge on the Pietta but the Pietta is the most accurate, and it's finish was supposed to have been "patina" anyway. Personally, I'd rate them equally these days. Euroarms seems to be making a quality product now, also. Just stay away from Palmetto, which seem to be full price, half (if you're lucky) quality guns. If a distributor doesn't list who manufactured the pistol you want, or just lists "Italy" for the manufacturer, they may be trying to avoid telling you it is a Palmetto gun. They have to know based on returns alone, if for no other reason, that Palmetto just isn't up to the standard the three others mentioned seem to have gotten around to today.

Steve