The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 8, 2005, 09:17 PM   #1
timothy75

dry firing daily

Shooting like every other skilled task requires warming up to be able to perform at your peak level. When I shoot I'll usually run a few drills cold and the results are far from my best. Back when I did private security the last two times I had to qualify I shot best in the class because while everyone was talking on the firing line, I was dry firing for about five minutes at the target. My arms were warmed up and the sights came right into veiw and I was able to squeeze the trigger every shot. So I've been thinking about dry firing daily on my way out the door. I supose this would be inconveinent but at least I could do this on days I was going to higher risk areas for awhile. Just a couple shots to get my arms eyes and fingers warmed up would make a world of difference in my shooting as my first targets always seem to tell on the range. If ever in a defensive encounter I think would make a big difference if you dry fired daily rather than firing 500 rounds on Sundays. What do you guys think?
Old November 8, 2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Boss Spearman
Registration in progress

I've been told and read dry firing daily is a very good idea.
Old November 8, 2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Humbled

There for quite a while I was doing it about 4 times a week @ about 15-30 minutes in the evenings and after dark. I try not to do it at the range(private) prior to shooting because I want to know how I'm going to perform if I need to unexpectedly use my weapon. My shooting partner and I alternate who sets up the targets the previous day. When we get to the range, who ever didn't set up the targets goes out first thing and engages the targets. It is done with normal carry ammo and we wear our normal carry gear. When I was doing dry fire 4 times a week my groups were really good. Here lately I've been slacking more than I should and only do it maybe once or twice a week for ten minutes. When we go to the range it shows, my performance is still good but groups have definitly opened up some. I'm going to get back on my old schedule this week.
Old November 9, 2005, 12:49 AM   #4
281 Quad Cam

For quite a while I would shoot at the range... and in an effort to make that trip to the range count - fire no less than 150-200 rounds of 9mm. I've never bothered with slow carefully aimed fire, as I didn't believe those skills would carry over in a defense situation. Ya know, the breathe control, using the right part of the finger on the trigger. I figure that will all fall apart under pressure anyway.

Than I started to dry fire and it seemed like everything improved. Even with varying finger positions on the trigger, the muscle memory can run a smooth trigger pull and keep the groups "tight." Now I consider dry firing as important as actually shooting.

I also got into .22lr guns which are really worth it when your ready to get back to improving the basics.
Old November 9, 2005, 12:53 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

While it is safe to dryfire most guns without fear of damaging them, if you intend to embark on a program involving a lot of regular dryfiring, I recommend that you purchase some snap caps.
Old November 9, 2005, 12:58 AM   #6
Talon66

Ever since I started dry firing on a regular basis, my accuracy has improved significantly. I use Pachmayr snap caps and like them very much. About 30 minutes of draw and fire every second night.