The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 24, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Police Positive 22lr

I have a 38 S&W Police Positive I inherited but don't have any real use for. It hasn't been fired for three years. I am always sort of trying to figure out what to do with it and I think i have finally decided. I want to buy a 22LR Police Positive. I am quite certain I will shoot the bore out of a 22lr police positive(Yes, I know how many rounds that will take and accept your challenge). Here is the problem. There aren't many 22 calibers and most i find are marked 22 WRF in auctions. I can't see the roll marks, but I suspect NONE of them are actually 22lr, but all are in fact 22 WRF and the sellers just don't realize it(we have all seen lots of similar mistakes involving obscure chamberings on classified and auction sights). I am not sure I will shoot a 22 WRF more than a 22LR and although ammo is currently manufactured and not absurdly expensive, it is a lot more than 22LR. Almost up to 9mm prices. The question is, are there actually 22lr police positives, or are they mislabeled 22WRF?

Examples:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=290803558
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=292738127

I'm not saying the prices are good, especially on the WRF there, just to show auctions of the two calibers.
Old June 24, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2
rep1954

Heres a few.

http://www.joesalter.com/

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/co...lvers.html?p=2

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Colt-...olice+positive

Last edited by rep1954; June 24, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old June 24, 2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

The WRFs can be reamed to .22 magnum.
Old June 24, 2012, 08:19 PM   #4
rep1954

I have a Ruger Single Six stainless with a 6 1/2" barrel that is dedicated to shooting Winchester 22WRF's using the magnum cylinder. The Winchester 22WRF round is the most accurate I've shot in it. I've never tried the CCI round as the Winchester round is close to half the price.
Old June 24, 2012, 09:52 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I have a single six with a magnum cylinder. To be frank I don't even know where the magnum cylinder is b/c i never use it. If I ever get around to trapping, which involves finding someone who knows how to trap to begin with, I may do use it to work a trap line. I really don't want a wrf. I want a Police Positive I can shoot a ton b/c I love the workmanship on my current gun.

Thank you for the three links. The Cabelas with some worn finish is more what I am looking for. I won't write what my plans for it are as some here might cry.

"This early model Target revolver does not have recessed chambers and should not be fired with high velocity .22 cartridges. To do so would risk cartridge head blowouts."
I don't shoot much high velocity, but I thought this was an interesting note.
Old June 25, 2012, 07:45 AM   #6
rep1954

Quote:
I won't write what my plans for it are as some here might cry.
I think it would be awsome to have a 22LR Bankers Special with adjustable sights myself.
Old June 25, 2012, 09:04 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I didn't even know about the 22lr bankers special. I bet one with worn bluing goes for over $1000

Looks like close to double that actually. I want something I can shoot!
Old June 25, 2012, 09:29 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Quote:
I suspect NONE of them are actually 22lr, but all are in fact 22 WRF
In the 1911 Alfa catalog, ONLY .22WRF was listed, in the 1939 Stoeger catalog ONLY .22 LR was listed. Sorry I no longer have literature for the intervening years, but it seems certain that they were made in both calibers.
Old June 25, 2012, 09:48 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Good enough for me.
Thanks for taking the time to look that up.

I e-mailed Cabelas, may call tomorrow morning, but I bet I work when they are open.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:49 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Sold the 38 and need to put the money towards the 22LR before it gets sidetracked into something else. The hunt is on!
Old December 26, 2012, 05:36 PM   #11
22-rimfire

There were Police Positives marked 22LR. You will see them in 4 and 6" barrels. They are a real nice medium sized 22 revolver made the old way. I have one that I would sell by the way. It has the factory plastic grips which were common in the early 50's.

Added: Checked my inventory, the one I was referring to is a 6" Official Police. Sorry. I don't have a Police Positive for sale without twising my arm which means it would be expensive.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; December 26, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:08 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

I found one from the first issue in my price range that is in good shape, but not perfect. The Colt mark is nice and clear. I won't feel too bad if I make a modification or two, although I will be certain they are done by the best if I do have modifications done. I don't suppose Colt's custom branch will work on one of these...

I asked a few questions concerning general condition of the gun and received satisfactory answers. No picture can show lock up or similar, but the person selling says it is good and I they seem to know what they are doing and are from a fairly reputable organization.

I asked to see a photo of the rear of cylinder to check for peening and two were provided along with a short message.
Quote:
This early model did not have counter bored or recessed chambers so the hammer would not strike the rear of the cylinder even if a cartridge was absent. One warning that has been published about shooting these particular models was NOT to use high speed .22 long rifle cartridges for fear of a rim burst since the rim is not encased in the chamber.

Old December 26, 2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Rainbow Demon

I've seen thin stainless steel chamber inserts to allow firing .22 LR in a .22 Magnum cylinder. If you obtained these and shortened them you could fire .22 LR in a .22 WRF cylinder.
I've made a insert from a fired .22 Magnum case, which required sanding away some brass on the inside near the base, the casewalls appear to be thicker near the rim. Haven't used it yet.
I've fired a number of .22 LR and shorts in .22 Mag chambers of my Single Six and another off brand .22 Mag SA without any problems, no split cases or signs of leakage, but this may not be true of some brands of ammo or some .22 Mag chamber combinations.

The Colt Diamond Back is basically the same frame as the Police Positive Special/Detective special, but with flat topstrap and adjustable target sights and ventilated rib heavy barrel. These were made in .22 RF as well as .38 Special.

If a Diamond Back .22 RF cylinder were available it might be fitted to a .22 WRF chambered Police Positive (maybe if shortened at the front on a lathe). One should consult a qualified pistolsmith first to be sure there are no serious suprises in the dimensions.

PS
I've had a few rim bursts with .22 RF cartridges, in both recessed and non recessed cylinders. Most of these were very old .22 Shorts with some external corrosion or signs of poorly drawn cases with rims hair thin. I suspect some older primer compounds could react with brass causing the rim to weaken or embrittle with age.
I've never had a modern manufacture .22 rim burst when fired in a non recessed chamber.

Last edited by Rainbow Demon; December 26, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:40 PM   #14
clang

It sounds like you are a COlt guy, but if you are open to other brands, a S&W Model 17 or 18 are also good choices. If you want a smaller frame, the .22/32 Kit Guns are worth looking at too.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:12 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

Actually, more of a Ruger guy, but this one is going to be a Colt. The Police Positives are a real steal for the quality and workmanship involved.