The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 07:01 PM   #26
arizona98tj

For myself, I expect a level of accuracy with what ever gun I am carrying where I can deliver a head shot, under pressure, at a distance out to 7 yds.

That being said, a 3~4 inch group @ 30' will stop a threat. Continue practicing....muscle memory is a good thing.

This was with my Ruger LCR, which is double action only, shot at 5 yds. The tape is 1" square. I can cut that in half with my XD9sc....the difference being the trigger.

Old February 2, 2013, 07:09 PM   #27
jason_iowa

3-4 inches at 30ft is not bad at all. The gun can probably do slightly better then that from the bench. With practice and playing with some different ammo you can tighten that up a bit as well. That's plenty good to get the job done though.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:16 PM   #28
MLeake

While typical encounters may well be at bad breath distance, it isn't hard to see where situations past 5 yards could occur.

Example 1: Intruder in the home; parent takes guard position at top of stairs since spouse and kids are in multiple rooms on upper floor. How many yards is it from upper landing to lower landing?

Example 2: Mugger in parking lot; victim draws, at which point both duck to far sides of adjacently parked vehicles.

You get the idea. I would at least want to be able to score decent hits at a distance equal to the longest line-of-sight in my house.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:17 PM   #29
shep854

A regular paper plate or even 8.5x11 sheet of paper gives a good approximation of the desired target area.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:31 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is a good idea to first fire from a rest, even a machine rest, to determine how well the gun will shoot. Once you are confident that the gun will give you acceptable accuracy (and it will probably be better than the 3-4" at 30 feet mentioned), then go to work on your own capabilities until you get confidence in yourself. With confidence in your gun, and confidence in yourself, you are on your way to becoming a good shot with that gun.

Jim
Old February 2, 2013, 09:21 PM   #31
shep854

I'm on my laptop, so I can post a video link. Here's Bob Munden hitting a steel plate at 200yd, using what looks like a S&W 60:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Tied-t1fFsk