The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 09:49 AM   #26
TailGator

IWB at about 3:00 around town.

For long trips, I like fanny packs. Go ahead and laugh, but the pistol is very comfortable and accessible in your lap, and I really don't care what people at gas stations and rest stops think of my fashion sense.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:16 AM   #27
drail

It really needs to be firmly attached to your body or the car some way. A loose gun in a collision becomes a deadly missile. And I would definitely never laugh at some guy with a fanny pack on.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:34 AM   #28
siska

I tuck it under my right thigh, normally

unless I pick up a hiker. if the latter, it goes under my left thigh
Old October 11, 2012, 09:23 PM   #29
Malamute

On my belt or on the seat next to me. Don't usually wear it unless out in the hills.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old October 11, 2012, 10:44 PM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
BIG believer that your pistol needs to be in your holster, on your belt or rig. Those guns clipped or loose may end up who knows where in a collision, what's to say one in a door pocket or console that takes a lick is even accessable. A car bump is a common thug tactic.

The BIG reason is that you leave the dang gun in the vehicle, and you get out for something mindless, like pumping gas, and you need it.

I have gone many hours, 6-8 in a veh, behind the wheel, with a full size auto in a belt hoslter even with my pants seam. I am a pretty big guy and had no probs.

I can't begin to count the time with a duty rig.
Bingo! That's why I stay at 4:00 even when driving. Sadly this happened today -.- on. The way to lunch.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old October 12, 2012, 02:45 AM   #31
MLeake

Lane changing sideswipe?

More importantly, are you ok?
Old October 12, 2012, 04:21 AM   #32
Master Blaster 2

I keep mine on me in my OTB holster. Why take it off and put it somewhere else while driving?
Old October 12, 2012, 07:13 AM   #33
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake View Post
Lane changing sideswipe?

More importantly, are you ok?
Yeah I'm ok, thank you!

Exactly. My ABS light has been on along with my traction control light which says "off" now. Finally, with bald tires to top it all off. Was getting tailgated. To changed lanes, he was still on me to hit the gas to change to the next and wheels spun while doing 35-40 cars rear end did this.

>
<
>
< hit innocent people to my left
|

Straightened me out though. Then the process began. Everyone tries racing me cause of the car I have.

I don't street race. We have a track for a reason. Ex girlfriend passed away doing that stupidity. (Not seeking pity) I just really don't think it's wise. Miami is all street lights unless you're on the highway.

Regardless of that.

Guns > Cars
For the past 5-6 years lol. Rather spend that money I need on my car repair to get a Dan Wesson 1911.

Blah...

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

Old October 12, 2012, 07:40 AM   #34
WC145

Where does your handgun go when you're driving?

Mine rides shotgun! barrump bump
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old October 12, 2012, 10:48 PM   #35
MLeake

Really need to replace those tires, though, especially with the rain you get down there.

This kind of highlights the argument about guns vs risk management, IE how people worry about self-defense that might never be required, but ignore more mundane issues such as excessive BMI, high blood pressure, health insurance... or good tires on vehicles.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just put a little perspective into things.

Tell you what, though, I don't buy cheap guns, shoes, or tires. They can all hurt you.
Old October 13, 2012, 05:54 AM   #36
spacecoast

Quote:
Bingo! That's why I stay at 4:00 even when driving. Sadly this happened today -.- on. The way to lunch.
What, no bullet holes?
Old October 13, 2012, 06:11 AM   #37
jimbob86

Secured in holster, for three reasons:

1- I have been to too many accidents where the occupants of the car could not call 911 because they lost their cell phone in the crash...... and had to wait until someone stopped and made the call for them...... in one case, they sat on the side of the road next to their overturned car for 10 minutes before someone stopped and called.....

2- It stays in the holster. Holster stays IWB or in the safe. No unnecessary handling.

3- Keep it simple. Moving your gun around complicates things. Simple is smooth, smooth is fast.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:20 PM   #38
Rembrandt

Carry a Boberg 9mm in the overhead console....drops down for quick access.

Old October 13, 2012, 09:40 PM   #39
RamItOne

And keep the S&W BG .380 in my pocket.

Rembrandt- any issues with heat? In fla with a black truck I can only imagine how hot it would get, I've got three ceiling pockets that I've considered keeping a pistol in, just not sure about long term wear.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:09 PM   #40
Corrections Cop

Mine is always on my hip in the holster, when ever I carry. I carry a big X2 taser on my duty belt for work, so i'm use to having something on my hip all day so the guns dont bother me at all.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:04 AM   #41
Tactical Jackalope

RamItOne, I too am in Florida. Miami....the guns get hot as sin but don't get damaged. The lock box in my car has 4 packets of silica gel to keep it safe from humidity.

Rambrant, nice! Very nice!

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G17 / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

Old October 14, 2012, 07:04 AM   #42
Master Blaster 2

Wow a Boberg as a car gun!! Cool. Still don't understand if you can Conceal carry on your person why leave one in a car?
Years ago when I worked in Chicago and I would conceal a car gun. One that I could toss as then had no legal carry. ( I called it a lake gun.)

I want one. Darn you all now I just bid for a Boberg on GB. They have come down in price.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; October 14, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:36 AM   #43
Sheriff Gotcha

I wqs thinking this yesterday... Wouldn't you guys that carry IWB at 2-4 o'clock positions have trouble drawing if you ever needed it with the seatbelt buckle in the way? Or is that a part of training I am yet to learn that you unbuckle and draw in one motion? Or do you just not wear seatbelts?

I was trying to figure out how mine would sit when I got into the car and had the buckle there because I was thinking of going with the 3 or 4 o'clock carry position. Haven't had a chance to try it yet though.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:42 AM   #44
Rifleman1776

Quote:
Where does your handgun go when you're driving?
It won't tell me.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:55 AM   #45
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamItOne
Rembrandt- any issues with heat? In fla with a black truck I can only imagine how hot it would get, I've got three ceiling pockets that I've considered keeping a pistol in, just not sure about long term wear.
No concerns at all about heat. If I wish to carry it on my person it's easily accessible.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:56 AM   #46
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776 View Post
It won't tell me.
Talk to your handgun about steel cased ammo and +p+

They all need the talk sometime. It'll stop sneaking out to get it's fix. I promise.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G17 / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

Old October 14, 2012, 12:14 PM   #47
wayneinFL

Quote:
The BIG reason is that you leave the dang gun in the vehicle, and you get out for something mindless, like pumping gas, and you need it.
Why not have two guns? One in the car and one on you?
Old October 14, 2012, 03:24 PM   #48
jimbob86

Quote:
Why not have two guns? One in the car and one on you?
Why not just keep the one on you? A gun left in the car is just something to get stolen, and will not be easily accessed with the same reaction of your regular drawstroke.
Old October 14, 2012, 03:46 PM   #49
Skadoosh

Quote:
jimbob86 wrote: 1- I have been to too many accidents where the occupants of the car could not call 911 because they lost their cell phone in the crash...... and had to wait until someone stopped and made the call for them...... in one case, they sat on the side of the road next to their overturned car for 10 minutes before someone stopped and called.....
Quote:
drail wrote:
It really needs to be firmly attached to your body or the car some way. A loose gun in a collision becomes a deadly missile.
I am glad that someone else has pointed out the obvious.

I have been in a highway rollover accident. I have stopped to render assistance in two other very gnarly rollover accidents.

My rollover accident was a caused by the front left tire blowing out. It was completely unexpected and very sudden. The tire had less than 10k miles on it. I can say with hand on heart that everything in my vehicle except for me was strewn along the highway for at least 20 yards in literally every direction. This includes the contents of my glove box and center console box. It is why I always try keep my cellphone deep in my pocket when driving.
Old October 14, 2012, 04:20 PM   #50
falnovice

I carry at 4:00, but these days I generall drive a full size truck with a split bench seat so it isn't uncomfortable.
Back when I was on the road all the time in a sedan with bucket seats I would typically use a shoulder holster. Shoulder holsters get trashed talked a lot but sometimes they are a good option. A well made, well fitted one can be very comfortable.