The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 10, 2012, 08:25 PM   #1
breakingcontact

Cost conscious gun gear guide.

What's are some of the cheaper purchases you've made for your guns that have made a big difference? How about modifications or things you've made yourself for next to nothing but you've found very useful?

Painting the sights on my handgun was a cheap modification that made it much more usable for quick defensive shooting.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:55 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

Flitz
RIG grease
Cabelas guide series scopes
Silicon impregnated rags and gun socks.

Not super cheap but I felt I got a lot for my buck:
Tech Sights
Otis Cleaning system(not cheap but I thought it was a lot for what I paid)
Midway Shooting mat
Old December 13, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3
breakingcontact

Tech sights on a 10/22 I am interested in.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:27 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Painting the sights on my handgun was a cheap modification that made it much more usable for quick defensive shooting.
Painting the front sight of my handguns for different purposes. White (testors model paint), for hunting in poor light. Flat black for shooting at my flat white painted steel bowling pins. Takes seconds to "change" by just painting over the top of the last color, chipping off when it becomes too thick.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:36 PM   #5
dahermit

Also, I found that modern holsters are expensive as heck and the styles I wanted were no longer in production. So, I began making my own holsters:
Old December 15, 2012, 11:01 PM   #6
jmr40

For the money these are the best binoculars I've run across. I have binos that currently sell for $600 that are only slightly better. I've read coments by a few professional guides who have used them from Africa to Alaska who feel the same.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x30-BX-1-Yo...ar-P48061.aspx

When replacing a recoil pad use a $2 flip flop from Walmart. Cut a little large, epoxy on the stock and trim to fit afterward. They really work great, hold up well, weigh 1/2 oz compared to 4-6oz for a standard pad, and will save you $40 or so. A great way to reduce the rifles weight if that is your goal.

Buy a $6 bicycle innertube. Cut about 2-3" sections off and use them for handgun grips. They are just tacky enough, (in more ways than one) to give a good grip without making the grip thicker. I have them on all my Glocks and AR's. Not the greatest photo, but they are on my G-20 in this photo

Wrap electrical tape over your rifles muzzle at the beginning of hunting season to keep rain and other debris out of your muzzle. It also helps protect the crown from damage. The air pressure in the barrel will blow the tape off before the bullet gets there and it does not effect accuacy at all. I keep spare tape on the barrel.

Old December 18, 2012, 02:21 AM   #7
actinic_blue

I second the leupold Yosemite binos. They are excellent.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:46 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

interesting idea on the tape. Have to think about it. No damage to metal b/c of chemical on tape?
Old December 20, 2012, 03:01 PM   #9
dahermit

Re: Tape on the barrel. I secret a M77 Ruger Stainless Steel 7.62x39 in my garage for use to shoot target varmints (fox, opossums, skunks, raccoons, and domestic dogs). of opportunity that take an unhealthy interest in my geese their young and eggs. However, we have a common wasp that finds small holes in which to deposits eggs and seal with mud. I have taken the precaution of taping the "small hole" that is the muzzle of the gun as a precaution. When an animal is sighted there is no time to take out the bolt and sight through it to make sure there is no biological debris in the barrel. The tape gives me peace of mind.