The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 9, 2009, 08:25 AM   #1
chrismacdonald

Tactical Drils and shot log & tracking performance

I am new to firearms training and I am looking for some handgun drills that I can complete and work on while at the range. At the same time I would like to be able to track my usage and record my results on these drills.

Is there anything out there with details for tactical drills or simply "how to's". At the same time I would like a simple way to "score" my performance and track what I am doing as well as how I may get better.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Old December 9, 2009, 09:30 AM   #2
SigSauerIsBetter

Have you checked out RangeLog.com

More than 100 drills (some with video) that can be integrated into your shot log. Shot Logs can be scored (hit/miss, time based, goal based, IPSC or IDPA). You can also to choose from advanced data fields to capture like (Target type, size, distance, # of draws, lighting, and more).

It takes your personal firearms makes & models (over 5,000 in the system), the shooting ranges you use (over 3,000 U.S. & International ranges).

You can check it out at http://www.rangelog.com.
Old December 9, 2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Maximus856

Theres a few good ones that apply to handguns and rifles. As far as tracking your results, you can keep it simple and just fill out information on your actual targets (date, firearm used, drill used, climate etc.) and keep them, or you can keep track of scores via logbook. Some good drills to do for self defense are box drills, speed reloads, failure to stop drills, drawing from the holster or from the controlled carry, and if the range permits movement drills. The last one should only be done if you're completely confident in your abilities, if it can be done in a safe environment, and if the range permits.

Box drills: This is done on two targets. I suppose you could do more if you wanted, but it's kind of redundant. You start with two shots center mass on target 1. Quickly (but smoothly) move to target 2, where you do two center mass shots. Then do one head shot on target 2, and then one head shot on target 1, thus creating a box.

Failure to stop: This is done on one target, but you essentially do this in the box drill stated above. Its 2 center mass shots, and one to the groin or head. The groins a larger target that will almost indefintely stop someone, however if a head shot presents itself then its optimal.

Speed reloads: Load your magazine in a fashion that you will run out during a drill, requiring a speed reload. Do a safe, but fast and efficient reload and finish the drill. If space and the range permits it, find 'notional' cover or take a knee, conduct your reload, and finish the drill.

Movement: Any of these drills can be done on the move, but as I stated ONLY do this if you feel as though it can be done safely and if it is allowed. Chances are you can only do this if it is a range set up for it, or if you have your own personal shooting area. Do it moving from the target, to the target, moving lateral to the target and drawing so on and so forth.

Singlehanded/offhand: This is good to practice in case you become injured or if space doesn't permit a full stance.

Distance: Vary the distances you do each drill. The closer you are the quicker you can and need to be. If you're doing a failure to stop, the closer threat is often the larger threat so that being said you would want to go for that target. However, it's good to change that up and aim for the further target to familiarize yourself with changing targets no matter the distance.

Mix these drills up with unholstering, from the controlled carry, pivoting 90/180*, unholstering firing and reholstering, movement while unholstering, and movement with reloads. To get the most out of it, write down your course of fire so your not wasting time thinking "what can I do next?"

If you dont have sillhouette targets, they are easy to make. If for whatever reason you can't make them, a 12" circle placed where the chest would be, a 12" inch box where the groin would be, and a 4-6" box/circle where the head would be will suffice. Really, any target will work, but like they say "aim small, miss small."

As far as scoring, like I said you can keep the physical targets themselves. Give yourself a course of fire. Figure out how many drills you want to do and multiply that by the number of shots each drill takes. On a real sillhouette target count any hit outside centermass/head/groin but on the target as 1 point, count 'kill hits' as 2 points. On individual targets (ie the 12" box) count it as hit or miss, 1 point for a hit.

Say you had 50 rounds in your course of fire. That gives you a potential of 100 points. Say you had 30 in the kill zones, 15 outside the kill zones but on the sillhouette, and 5 complete misses. You would have a score of 90.

-Max

Last edited by Maximus856; December 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old December 9, 2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Maximus856

Dang, just wrote all that out and someone had a much easier link
Old December 9, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
SigSauerIsBetter

You da man...

Naahhh, I told the guy where he could find fish, you brought the fish to him. I think your the better post

Thanks for the knowledge Maximus, I like running the box drills too.

BTW, I TOTALLY agree with your note on distance. Many of us get comfortable doing a drill over and over and then think (what's the point of continuing). Switching up distance/strong hand/weak hand combinations will always be a great way to keep it fresh.

Great post!
Old December 9, 2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Maximus856

Ahh, just passing on what was taught to me. I'm sure others will chime in with some other good drills. I forgot one of the most important parts of any drill though. "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!"
Old December 9, 2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

*sigh*

Stickies folks,... remember the stickies.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204400

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 9, 2009, 03:31 PM   #8
SigSauerIsBetter

OH MY LANTA!!!

I didn't even see that... SAWEET!
Old December 15, 2009, 07:32 PM   #9
chrismacdonald

Thanks!

This is more than enough information, thanks for all the feedback. I will start small and work my way up but I wanted to get some ideas where to start, this is some great feedback.

That site is helpful as well as all the listed drills. Being able to track my shots and record rounds expended and scoring on drills as well as progress via a website helps out a lot. I wonder if they have a mobile version so I can record data at the range.

Tags
drills , shot log , shot logbook. , tactical drills