The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 8, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Tom Givens

Mas Ayoob MAG40 in Memphis

Massad Ayoob, MAG 40, Armed Citizens’ Rules of Engagement

Massad Ayoob is one of the best known writers and lecturers on self defense subjects in the United States, as well as one of the country’s most respected expert witnesses. For 28 years he has offered this immersion level, 40 hour course in managing lethal threats and the legal ramifications of the use of force. This four-day, ten hour per day course includes both in-depth classroom training, and live fire training, with documented qualification firing on several law enforcement handgun courses.

The classroom training will include an emphasis on legal issues, tactical issues, and aftermath management. Topics will include interacting with suspects, witnesses, and responding officers…threat recognition and mindset… management of social and psychological aftermath after having had to use lethal force in defense of self or others…and preparing beforehand for legal repercussions and minimizing exposure to them. Situations in the home, at the place of business, or “on the street” will all be covered. Two full days are devoted to these critical issues in the classroom.

The live fire portion of the training will take place over two full days of training on the spacious ranges of the Memphis Police Department training academy. This is a 20 hour immersion level course in the use of the defensive handgun under extreme stress. Draw from concealment, two handed stances, shooting from cover, one-handed stances with either hand, speed reloading, and more are taught with an emphasis on fast, accurate shot placement. The course will culminate with a police-style qualification course. Estimated ammo count- 500 rounds.

All of this training will take place at the Memphis Police Academy Firearms Trainining Unit, one of the most modern, well equipped, and up to date training academies in the South. We will be using their modern classrooms, and a spacious outdoor range with modern target systems. Advance registration is required.

DATES: 28-31 August 2010, Saturday through Tuesday, 8am-6pm each day.

You may opt to take only the two academic days, or the two live fire days, at $400.

TUITION: $789.00 A deposit of $200 will hold a space, balance due no later than 13 August 2010. Deposits or tuition become non-refundable after 13 Aug 2010. If for some reason the class is cancelled, students receive a 100% deposit refund.

REGISTRATION: Call 901-370-5600 to register, or mail a check to Rangemaster, 2611 S. Mendenhall Rd, Memphis, TN, 38115. All registration will be handled through Rangemaster. For further information, contact [email protected] or [email protected]
Old June 8, 2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Skans

Now, that would be a worthwhile course!
Old June 9, 2010, 02:43 AM   #3
BikerRN

Quote:
Now, that would be a worthwhile course!
It is.

I was in AZ for Mas' MAG 40, as were some other members of this forum. If I was going to spend my money, and could only take one "high dollar" course, this would be it.

This course is what I consider the foundation of defensive handgun usage, but it's far beyond that. One friend equated it to a three credit hour college course in one week, and I find that I agree. The level of instruction goes far beyond anything else I've seen for an "introductory course".

This course surpasses the local Intermediate courses at the various ranges around me and treads, or surpasses, the so-called "expert" courses. In short, you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Biker

To Clarify: I was assisting with the course in AZ, but have no financial interest in this or any other class taught by anyone.
Old June 9, 2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

I agree. If one could take only one class, this is it. No one covers the legal side of things as thoroughly as Mas.

I took Mas' predecessor class, LFI-I in October of 2008. I was in Sierra Vista, AZ last month with BikerRN helping out at Mas' MAG40. Paid my own way for the pleasure of participating.
Old June 9, 2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

Will Mas take an I.O.U.? Or if I wash his car can I get in cheap?

Deaf