The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 28, 2006, 10:19 AM   #51
SonOfLiberty

Getting to know your neighbors, and being friendly can backfire too (even in a "good" neighborhood.) Back in high school I became buddies with a neighbor. We went fishing together, played ball, etc. Couple months later playing video games one night at my house, the punk went to the bathroom, grabbed my mother's purse on the way, and took every last penny out of it (literally). The kid was very polite, well groomed, and cunning. I don't doubt it was his intention all along, we're just lucky he didn't get away with anything else. Evil comes in all shapes and sizes. No matter how hard you prepare, train, etc. sometimes the odds are just against you. You can't prevent everything, but you can certainly limit your liabilities and exposure.
Old April 28, 2006, 04:44 PM   #52
oldbillthundercheif

Thundercheif (one word). As in the F-105 Thundercheif. I never piled up as many hours in that fine aircraft as I would have liked, but I trained on one way back in the old days. It was sort of a fluke that I ever got to fly one in the first place. I wonder what they go for on the surplus market?
Old April 29, 2006, 06:33 AM   #53
jburtonpdx

Quote:
There's situational awareness and then there's paranoia
Its only paranoia if 2 additional circumstances are met - or one specific condition occurs
1. other people know you are doing it
and
2. nothing happens

If something happens, it wont be paranoia, it will be preperation, if nobody notices your "preperation" then its not a problem.

The one specific condition it would be paranoia is if it is restricting your life. Such as, you wont go out of your house. Then its starting to qualify as an illness...
Old April 29, 2006, 05:05 PM   #54
pickpocket

That post seemed just a little TOO well-thought-out

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old May 1, 2006, 07:31 AM   #55
Trisha

If I recall, to paraphrase Samuel Clemens, "To say that clothes do not make the man is utter nonsense! No naked man since Adam has had any worthwhile impact on society!"

And then a comment from G. B. Trudeau (also paraphrased), "Are you judged by how you dress? Certainly! If you walked into the boardroom of a Fortune 500 corporation wearing the attire of a Hamas terrorist you would have no justification whatsoever in feeling outrage at the immediate and clearly biased reactions you would receive!"

Clearly, then, we must anticipate the reverse is also true, as Friday, from the Addams Family answered, when questioned about her aparrent lack of a costume; "I'm a homicidal maniac. I look just like everyone else!"

I have a sociological baseline of living in near seclusion in the mountains. When venturing out and going even to the flats and Denver, I find I recognize clear behavioral patterns of predator and prey amidst the egoconcentric and often vapid horde. It's cause for cautious and oblique, unobtrusive curiosity.

Absolutely, I profile.

I am not dinner.

Trisha

"The blessing lies not in living, merely, but in living well!"
Old May 1, 2006, 08:55 AM   #56
GUNSMOKE45441

Trisha
Well said!!!!
Old May 2, 2006, 03:14 PM   #57
Model520Fan

While I have no problem with "profiling," including profiling which has race as a major factor (but certainly not a sole factor), I would like to point out that just because some Black adolescents (or "Hispanic," if that fits the stereotype in your neighborhood) are dressed like young criminals, it does not necessarily mean that they ARE young criminals. Sometimes fashions of dress among high-school kids follow the criminal element even though the behavior doesn't. Where I live, far more high-school kids wear ill-fitting jailbird clothing than could possibly be criminal. It's just a stupid kid thing; they'll grow out of it.

Prejudices are an important tool, but don't let them distract you from Pickpocket's mental exercise.
Old May 2, 2006, 06:00 PM   #58
RoSAR1

You have serious problems if you un-holster your weapon everytime you're around someone with baggy pants. Give me a break, this isn't 1940. I dunno if you've realized it or not, but times change.
Old May 3, 2006, 07:14 AM   #59
Superhornet

The basis of profile is developed from statistical averages of who commits specific unlawful activity based on the inclusion of their percentile of population. Does it come down to race or ethnic profiles ?? Of course it does, because race is normally used to develop the percentile.
Old May 3, 2006, 09:50 AM   #60
RoSAR1

Crime is an economic issue, not a racial one. People in the lowest income brackets will commit more crime, regardless of their race.
Old May 3, 2006, 12:19 PM   #61
NJDAG

I've been on the job in NJ (the "home" of profiing) on a Gang Task Force for about 6 years, and this is my take on the thread from my perspective. People are products of their environment, and to say that economic factors are not directly related to crime statistics would be an ignorant statement to make. To say that someone, by virtue of being black or hispanic is more likely to commit crime solely because of their genetic makeup is again an ignorant statement. However, race plays a larger factor than income (at least in my experience) in one's propensity to become a criminal. To substantiate that statement, think of it this way.... look at the role models that the blacks and hispanics look up to.... Tupac, 50 Cent, and the rest of those POS Gangster rappers. Do any of them offer anything more positive than the G's Up, Hoes Down, Shoot 'em all lifestyle? No. The glorification of crime and violence, particularly in regards to drugs and gangs and the associated lifestyle are what these adolescents are looking up to and, essentially, emulating. That is a conscious decision that is made, independent of income. Rap albums aren't cheaper than country albums, so economics play no role in the determination.

IMHO, economic factors, though existent, are far outweighed by other factors that are controllable, and arrived at through a conscious decision on the part of the criminal. Basically, you choose the criminal life, it doesn't choose you. And if blacks and hispanics, for instance, choose it more often than whites, oh well.
Old May 3, 2006, 12:22 PM   #62
Superhornet

roSAR1----explain to me that crime is an economic thing??
Old May 3, 2006, 03:02 PM   #63
RoSAR1

Crime is an econonmic issue. Statistically, poor people will commit more crimes. Blacks and other minorities tend to be in the lower income bracket, hence why they commit more crimes per capita. It has nothing to do with race. Poor white people commit just as many crimes. Hence the phrase, crime is an economic issue, not a racial one.
Old May 3, 2006, 05:04 PM   #64
Sarge

Quote:
Crime is an econonmic issue...
Horse manure. Crime is an ethics issue. There are a good many of us who grew up in the lower income brackets- and did not choose a life of crime. Sell that song & dance somewhere else.
Old May 3, 2006, 05:16 PM   #65
riverrat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by invssgt
Crime is an ethics issue.
I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoSAR1
Crime is an econonmic issue
That's total BS! When I grew up I didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of!
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old May 3, 2006, 05:46 PM   #66
RoSAR1

Quote:
Horse manure. Crime is an ethics issue. There are a good many of us who grew up in the lower income brackets- and did not choose a life of crime. Sell that song & dance somewhere else.
No offense, but you're an idiot. I certainly hope you don't have a degree from any university with that kind of logic.

1. Based on your logic, since I'm white, and I don't have a felonly, that would mean that no other white people have felonies. It's the same thing. You said that you grew up poor, and you didn't choose a life of crime, so that means nobody else did either

2. It's proven statistically, again-proven statistically, that people who are in the lowest income bracket commit more crimes. Is this really that hard to understand people? Scrap your G.E.D and go get a real education.
Old May 3, 2006, 05:52 PM   #67
RoSAR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat66
That's total BS! When I grew up I didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of!
Um what's your point? You're 1 person out of almost 300 million in this country. See my above post. It doesn't matter what you choose to do. When you average out all the people in each income segment the lowest income bracket commits more crime. You do realize that you're only 1 person, don't you? And what you do is a miniscule percentage of a total, right? I swear, you would think that anyone who has been through 4th grade math could figure this out, but maybe not.
Old May 3, 2006, 08:43 PM   #68
Sarge

Quote:

Quote:
No offense, but you're an idiot. I certainly hope you don't have a degree from any university with that kind of logic.
Quote:
Scrap your G.E.D and go get a real education.
"No offense"- no problem, Pal. I challenged your statement, and you turned it into a personal attack. Nothing I could call you would be better than what you have shown yourself to be.

Logic hurts, don't it? So does the truth, particularly when it entails choices/consequences. Neither of these get much traction in liberal academia, but that's OK with me.

By the way, I wasn't trying to bring you around to my way of thinking.

Quote:
1. Based on your logic, since I'm white, and I don't have a felonly, that would mean that no other white people have felonies. It's the same thing. You said that you grew up poor, and you didn't choose a life of crime, so that means nobody else did either
I certainly hope you don't have a degree from any university with that kind of spelling, either.

Quote:
2. It's proven statistically, again-proven statistically, that people who are in the lowest income bracket commit more crimes. Is this really that hard to understand people?
Lies, damn lies, and statistics. So how does your theory account for white collar crime? How about high-rolling sports stars and music celebrities that engage in criminal activity, or kill each other off in droves? It can't, because each of those people, regardless of their upbringing, race or financial status, made a conscious chopice to engage in activity that they knew was wrong- and also happened to be illegal. Ethics, or the lack thereof, decides the issue.
Old May 3, 2006, 09:04 PM   #69
RoSAR1

Oh, wow, I made a typo which must mean I don't really know how to spell the word correctly

White collar crime is very different from the crime I'm talking about. Again, people of all races and incomes commit crimes, OBVIOUSLY. You don't need to point that out. However, I hate repeating myself, poor people commit more crimes per capita.
Old May 3, 2006, 09:56 PM   #70
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

*sigh*

I guess I should be happy that this thread lasted longer than I really thought it would, but the personal attacks took the wind out of that sail.

RoSAR1, I realize you're new here, so here's a little tip: "You're an idiot" = personal attack. Please..... don't. We only say "please" once.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread