The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2015, 09:44 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Faulty math, my friend.

$13/9oz is $1.44444/oz or $23.11/lb, roughly the same as other powders (...)
I was referring to the price versus Tin Star.

The recent brick-and-mortar prices I've seen for the 9 ounce canister of Trail Boss range from $18 to $25. That's roughly $2.39 / ounce.

Tin Star, in comparison, works out to $2.19 / oz. (Using your $35 / lb quote. I have never seen it in person.)

Close enough. ...And, at least where I shop, that does make TB more expensive than Tin Star.

(I know TB is cheaper when ordered online, but then you're dealing with Hazmat fees and shipping. And since one guy might order two pounds of powder while another guy orders 24 lbs, there's no good point of reference for real world unit cost at your door step.)

And, yes, volumetrically, the price of TB is a much better deal. But you were making an ad-hoc comparison that used package weight, so I stuck with it.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; December 3, 2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: ounces are not pounds!
Old December 3, 2015, 11:44 AM   #27
alexcue

I just paid $16 for 9oz a couple of weeks ago at a mom and pop shop. His prices are very fair IMO.
Old December 4, 2015, 07:01 PM   #28
HankC1

Just to check if my LGS still have Trail Boss and there are 6 sitting on shelves. Took another 2 home, now I better like it enough to use all the powder! They sell it for $18.99/9 oz, maybe that is why not moving much, other powders are not cheap either, $28-32 per pound.
Old December 4, 2015, 10:02 PM   #29
walnut1704

I don't get it. It goes twice as far but you're buying half as much? Isn't that a wash?

Trail Boss has been available off and on around here. Mostly off, But I see it now and then, maybe three or four times the past year.

Last time I saw it I bought a can. It seemed like it would be ideal for what I was looking for, a reduced load in a large volume case. The .41 Magnum.

After working with it and some other powders, I came up with two loads that met my requirements for a 215 gr cast SWC...

6.0 gr of Trail Boss (max is 6.5 gr)
6.5 gr of Universal (the minimum load)

Trail Boss was $13.95 for 9 oz ($24.80 / pound)
Universal was $18.95 / pound
(real prices paid in the last year from a local source)

Don't look half price to me. I did not chrono them but they should be ballistically similar from what the stated data said. The Trail Boss filled the case, the Universal did not even come close to filling the case.

I still prefer the Trail Boss. I just loaded 300 rounds with it.