The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 3, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1
mossberg-az

CC laws az?

i want to start carring and idk exactly what our new law(?) states on cc. Ive heard that you dont need a permit to carry but a permit to own. Please lay it out in simple english please.
Old June 3, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2
zoomie

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/AZSL.pdf
http://handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf
http://opencarry.org/maps.html
Old June 3, 2010, 11:08 PM   #3
mossberg-az

thanks zoomie. so much reading tho

Last edited by mossberg-az; June 4, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old June 4, 2010, 09:35 AM   #4
NavyLT

There is no permit required to own a firearm in AZ.
Old June 4, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5
mossberg-az

@navyLT, can you prove? (via website). what do i need to buy a gun (legally) from a store (like cabelas) in az. i bought a mossberg via craigslist, but i want to buy another legally?
thanks
Old June 4, 2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Don H

Cabela's will be happy to tell you what it takes to legally buy a firearm in their store. It's their business to know how to legally sell firearms.
Old June 4, 2010, 03:14 PM   #7
NavyLT

Quote:
@navyLT, can you prove? (via website). what do i need to buy a gun (legally) from a store (like cabelas) in az. i bought a mossberg via craigslist, but i want to buy another legally?
thanks
http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard/AZ/

Requirements to buy a gun in AZ from an FFL (Federal Firearms License) Dealer are the minimum required by Federal law.

1. You have to be 18 to buy a shotgun or rifle. You have to be 21 to buy anything else: handgun, stripped lower receiver, pistol grip only shotgun.

2. If you are buying other than a shotgun or rifle, you must be an AZ resident with either an AZ state driver's license/ID Card or active duty military ID with orders to Arizona as a permanent duty station. If you are buying a rifle or shotgun you can be a resident of any of about 42 other states.

3. You must truthfully fill out a form 4473.

4. The dealer will call in the info from the form 4473 to NICS and verify you are not a prohibited person. If you have an AZ concealed handgun license (or whatever it is called in AZ) you might (I am not sure) be exempt from the NICS check.

5. NICS should, on the spot, approve you; you pay for the gun, you walk out of the store open carrying the gun on your belt, if you so desire.

Whole transaction will take about 20 minutes if you haven't done it before.
Old June 4, 2010, 03:33 PM   #8
azredhawk44

Quote:
i want to start carring and idk exactly what our new law(?) states on cc. Ive heard that you dont need a permit to carry but a permit to own. Please lay it out in simple english please.
Simple english:

-No permit necessary to own. Fill out a 4473 and pass the NICS check when you purchase. No registration.

-No permit to carry openly. Do not carry openly at schools or government buildings.

-Currently a permit to carry concealed, but later this year (not sure of the date) a new law goes into effect that concealed does not require a permit.

-Permits still required if you want to conceal in a bar/restaurant that allows such, or if you want reciprocity with other states that honor AZ's permit.
Old June 4, 2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossberg-az
i bought a mossberg via craigslist, but i want to buy another legally?
Unless it is illegal for you to buy a firearm for some reason, that Mossberg was bought legally, just as legal as buying one from a gun shop.
Old June 4, 2010, 07:36 PM   #10
mossberg-az

i neglected to mention earlier that my mossberg has not been registered for 20 years
Old June 4, 2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossberg-az
i neglected to mention earlier that my mossberg has not been registered for 20 years
There is no gun registration in Arizona.
Old June 4, 2010, 08:44 PM   #12
mossberg-az

@Don H
Quote:
There is no gun registration in Arizona.
so your telling me, if i buy a gun, i do not have to register it into any type of database for documentation that it is infact my gun?
Old June 4, 2010, 08:48 PM   #13
NavyLT

Yep. That's what he is sayin'. And it's true!

You're originally from California, aren't you!?
Old June 4, 2010, 09:00 PM   #14
mossberg-az

@Navy LT no, just never had the time to learn all the laws an have n close relatives in state who know our state gun laws. Im the 1st of my family born here, almost was born in N.Y, Thank God i wasnt
Old June 4, 2010, 09:00 PM   #15
Don H

Quote:
so your telling me, if i buy a gun, i do not have to register it into any type of database for documentation that it is infact my gun?
That is correct. In Arizona and many other states, there is no database to enter gun owner data into. Legally, it's no different than buying a TV at a yard sale. If you purchase a firearm from a dealer, the dealer retains information (Form 4473) on who he sold the firearm to. You can legally turn around and sell the gun to your neighbor and the only paper involved in the sale would be money, unless you chose to make up a bill of sale.

Some states are more free than others. Other states treat gun owners like criminals.
Old June 4, 2010, 11:20 PM   #16
mossberg-az

Thanks to all ill start shoppin around for a hand gun
Old June 4, 2010, 11:51 PM   #17
azredhawk44

Not only is there no gun registration in AZ...

Mojave County, at their Court House, tried to implement a back door selective registration for folks that came to attend court for some reason or other and checked their firearms at the court house door... by noting serial numbers and owner information and keeping long-term record of it.

They are in the process of being sued for that, right now. If memory serves, there is actually a state law prohibiting municipalities from creating gun registries.

THERE IS NO GUN REGISTRATION IN ARIZONA. Yay!
Old June 5, 2010, 10:37 AM   #18
armoredman

The Mojave county back door registration was taken care of by a new state law, goes into effect July 29th, same as the no permit for CCW law.
AZ has, (deep breath), no registration, no waiting period, no magazine capacity limit, no "assault weapon" ban, no ammunition restriction, no permit to own, no permit to purchase, no FOID, no licensing, *BREATHE!*, carry concealed or openly without permit starting July 29th for any US citizen, shall-issue CCW still on the books after that for background checks and to carry in restaraunts that serve alcohol plus for reciprocity, NFA friendy, may carry any lawfully owned firearm on national Registry, face to face private transactions are AOK with state if you are sure the buyer is not a prohibited person,*BREATHE!*, lots of state run ranges, new huge one going in above Flagstaff in 2013....there's more, can't think of it yet...

Oh, yeah. Safe storage required at most government buildings. My MVD has gun lockers right inside the door.
Obey the laws and have a great time in AZ!
Old June 5, 2010, 01:02 PM   #19
mossberg-az

@armoredman thanks, that was the most helpful!
Old June 7, 2010, 05:21 PM   #20
Paul B.

"-Currently a permit to carry concealed, but later this year (not sure of the date) a new law goes into effect that concealed does not require a permit."

July 29 I believe, same time as SB1070 goes into effect.

"There is no gun registration in Arizona."

Not true. There is no STATE rgistartion but there is the federal paperwork to put up with. even though it stays with the dealer BATFE sometimes comes around and makes copies of the 4473. If that ain't a form of registration, I don't know what is.
Paul B.
Old June 7, 2010, 07:14 PM   #21
Don H

Paul,

If, like the OP did, you buy a gun through an ad on Craigslist, or any face to face transaction, there's no federal or state paperwork involved in Arizona or in many other states.
Old June 9, 2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Uncle Buck

I understand the confusion, because there are many places that require you register or have a permit for a gun.

I have a friend who just can not wrap his head around the fact that here in Missouri, you do not register your guns.

I can carry my pistol openly here in Missouri, but I need a permit to conceal it while carrying.

When I became 21 and legally able to own a pistol in I lived in Rhode Island. I had to have a pistol card in order to buy the gun, (Simple little test, given at the town hall.) or to buy ammunition. (I do not remember if there were any restrictions on long gun ownership.)

When we start talking about laws as they pertain to guns, we have to be very careful that we know which state is involved and where the perspective gun purchaser is living.