The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2006, 05:56 PM   #1
brselman

Precision Bullets

Has anyone tried the coated lead bullets from Precision Bullets? I would be particularly interested in your experience with either the 9mm 115 grain or 40 cal 155 grain.
Old February 20, 2006, 07:57 PM   #2
BigDog(RE)

I use the 230 Gr 45 ACP bullets. They work really well with little to no leading at all. The best part is that its lead price with no smoke or sticky lube to deal with.
Old February 20, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3
impact

I used the 230gr round nose for my 45 ACP. They are good bullets! One thing that freaks some people is that moly will build up on the inside of the barrel. I never had a accuracy problem with the moly build up. The build up is real thin.

The only reason I stopped using the Precision bullets is because they became hard to get. I would wait up to three months to get a order. At times I was shooting almost 1000rds a week. The guy at Precision said he was always running out of bullets and didn't have enough machines to keep up with orders.

I always thought they were good bullets though!
Old February 22, 2006, 12:56 AM   #4
8ring

I shoot Precision .45acp 200gr RNFP in my S & W 625. They are clean, accurate, and create little smoke with N-320 or WST. They do not lead at all with 45acp pressures. The moly coating cleans out with a wet patch.

I've tried another Masterblasters 122gr in my 9mm CZ. They were also clean and smoked very little. They were not quite as accurate as FMJ in my CZ but they needed much less powder to reach the same velocity. Masterblasters may still send sample packs.

Chris
Old February 22, 2006, 02:00 PM   #5
RickB

Precision was down for a while, apparently while changing their manufacturing process. Their current bullet is claimed to be "hard swaged", which may be a bit of marketing hype, as lead has to be somewhat soft if it is to be swaged. I shot 10,000+ of the older, cast bullets, and about 2000 (so far) of the new style, and like them all. With the new bulk shipping rates, they are cheaper now than they were a few years ago. Masterblasters is local to me, and I bought their bullets for a few years, when I didn't like the shipping cost of Precision. I could get MBs for $48/1000, when Precisions cost over $60/1000. MB was out of production for a while, but they are back, and I'll probably go back to them, when my Precisions run out. I'd rate MBs to be about 90% of Precision's quality (which is darn good), and at about 90% of the price.