The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2014, 09:00 PM   #1
dbuffington

RCBS APS Primer Loader Tips?

Hi Folks!

I've been using an RCBS Pro 2000 and its APS primer feeder very successfully. (For me, the key to happy operation has been making sure my primer pockets are properly swaged.)

But the loader still gives me fits. All the holes in the strips don't get filled with primers, particularly at the ends.

I suspect the problem is that the strips are very slightly curved, and so, at the ends, the gaps aren't large enough for the primers to slip through.

Any thoughts? Tips?

Thanks!
Dave
Old February 10, 2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Peter M. Eick

Just shake and tap the unit lightly and eyeball it at an angle to see the primers are all in the spots. I find I can do it quickly and get good results.

I buy 99.9% of my primers preloaded in strips though. Much easier.

Good luck on the Pro2000. I have loaded about 350,000 rounds on mine and still love it.
Old February 10, 2014, 10:31 PM   #3
ricklaut

I keep a strip attached before and after the current one being loaded, so if needed, I can slightly manipulate those ends or push / pull. If they're curved ever so slightly and I notice before I put them in, I'll twist / bend them the opposite way. Helps a little.

But, I've been spoiled for a while... my last big primer order was about 15k of preloaded CCI. Plenty of empties now though!
Old February 11, 2014, 03:20 PM   #4
GWS

1. Storing your strips horizontally is important so they don't acquire the slight bend you refer to. You might try heating your bent strips in boiling water, lay them out quickly horizontally on the counter and cover with something heavy and flat while they cool off.....a flat bottomed frying pan with a couple of cans of food set inside comes to mind.

2. Use a file and file off the little round nibs under the compression bar. Those nibs are there to supposedly recess the primers a tad to keep the primer edges from hanging in the primer mechanism.....they don't work, but they do cause the clearance problem you are referring to.

APS users are all in the habit of sliding something flat over newly filled strips anyway to prevent hangs, so get rid of the low clearance. Picture below shows the nibs to file off.

The next picture shows the resulting part with more clearance.

I modified my APS strip loader one weekend...three simple mods...works a lot better. How-To and video is at AR15.com, if you're interested. (you'll never have a primer edge hang again)