The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2014, 12:09 PM   #1
loademwell

Hornady Pro 7 press

I just picked up one of these and a bunch of dies along with some odds and ends for 200 buck. I would love to get this big progressive press up and running. But I hit a snag.
Hornady does not have any user manual's for this anymore. Does anyone have one? PDF. would be fine too. All I ever find is a parts list.
I am also looking for parts for this press: Shell plates, primer tubes and powder funnel for the top.
If anyone has a chance, please check your local CL or something and let me know if anything turns up. Thanks...
Old February 9, 2014, 01:18 PM   #2
F. Guffey

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...sive_press.pdf

JIC there is a chance someone does not know what a Pro 7 press looks like, I furnished a link.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; February 9, 2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add looks like
Old February 9, 2014, 01:50 PM   #3
LE-28

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/.../ProJector.pdf

This is for a projector press, it's as close as I can find. They are very similar.
Old February 9, 2014, 03:46 PM   #4
grubbylabs

I would bet that if you called Hornady they would offer to sell you a new press for your press and 200.
Old February 10, 2014, 06:25 AM   #5
LE-28

You know, I think I heard something like that too. They won't do it for the pro-jector but will for the Pro-7.

I do know the Pro-7 does have parts on it that aren't available any more and no one is reproducing them. You won't find the obsolete parts for it unless you luck into it on Ebay and that's doubtful.

I scoured the internet looking for the Pro7 manual and they just isn't a printing of it anywhere. I know they made it, There was a listing on Ebay for a Pro7 still new in the box with manual, but I can't find it now.

I'll keep looking.
Old February 10, 2014, 06:26 AM   #6
LE-28

There are you-tube videos on pro-7s, that would help some.
Old February 10, 2014, 04:54 PM   #7
loademwell

Update: I did contact Hornady this a.m. and asked if they have a referbushing deal or trade in for it at which I was told "NO"
They too said that I will need luck while I do an ebay search.

OH, they said they only keep parts for 25 years after the item is dis. so this press is over 25 years old. (looks great for that age).

I also asked if there were any parts that are interchangeable with any of the modern presses. "NOPE"

I wonder tho! I hate to spend the money on this stuff and find some real stupid thing in the way for it not to work.

If you look at the two presses close (or break down of them) look at the top powder funnel thing! How would this not work on my press? It threads into a standard die spot.... And the primer feeder: they look to be exactly the same..

My big thing is the shell holder plate.. I only have the one for 357 mag. I want the 9mm and maybe the 44 mag one. Tempted to buy a modern one and a grinder and see if I can make it work some how on my old press.

Does anyone have one for sale? lol For a test run!
Old February 10, 2014, 06:59 PM   #8
LE-28

I really feel for you, about 12 months ago when there wasn't a loading press to be had for any money people were putting Pro-7s and Pro-jectors on ebay for sale and they were going for stupid money. I knew those people were getting duped but couldn't do anything about it.

I hate to see this happen to someone. Do you have any machinist buddies that could help you out with this?
Old February 10, 2014, 11:31 PM   #9
grubbylabs

Hornady Pro 7 press

That's interesting. I just sent them my pro Jector at the first of the year and for 200 they sent me a new LnL AP. I had to pay the freight to them they paid the freight on the way back so I was a total of 225.

They also milled the older shell plate I had to work with the new press. Again I paid the freight in and $10.00 for each shell plate. They shipped them back on their dime.

They said since they no longer support the press they offer the trade in deal on the older ones. When I called in I was advised to do it as soon as possible because the price was likely going up. I hope they did not completely quite doing it.