The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Keg

Questions about 2 old single shot shotguns???

One Stevens..the other a Western field(Iver Johnson)........
They both are 12 gauge..30 inch barrels..solid ribs..Have fancy checkered stocks......The Stevens has factory sling swivels.........
Were these used for trap??? What age might they be??? Anything else???

Last edited by Keg; March 5, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:20 AM   #2
oneounceload

Factory swivels leads me to believe you have a field gun - most likely for ducks and geese with 30" barrels. I would suspect that of the other one as well

They look to be in great shape. Have them checked out, and if safe, go enjoy them
Old February 15, 2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Keg

One has sling swivels..the other does'nt.........Not sure I follow U on field gun???? Explain.......... I have other shotguns to hunt with...They will probably just be wallhangers..........
Old February 15, 2011, 12:22 PM   #4
zippy13

I concur with my friend, 1-oz, they look like gentleman's fowling pieces. The reason to have a sling swivels is because the gun in question is intended to be toted to the hunting area, or from area to area. Target guns, when not in action, are in a rack or transported in a case.
Old February 15, 2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Keg

Zippy...I see what U are sayin...but these are not high dollar guns...only cheap single shots.........Only came with upgraded features.........Normally a double field gun was plainer than others of the same model..........I doubt even any Stevens double guns came in a case.........I also own a Lefever 410 gauge..single barrel..no rib......It says long range trap on it......It never came in a case.........

Last edited by Keg; February 15, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 06:27 PM   #6
bighead46

Do you mean you want to know if the manufacturer intended the guns to be used on a trap range? It has always been my feeling the guns in question were intended for hunting.
Old February 16, 2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Keg

Bighead....Oh..I was just confused that a cheap single shot would be made in a deluxe version.........I have seen a lot of guns..but very few of these........Cheap single shots were utilitarian...........I guess there was not much use for these type guns..therefore their scarcity...........

I find it ironic that my trap Lefever did not come with a rib...........
Old February 16, 2011, 01:12 AM   #8
zippy13

Keg, I used "case" to mean that target guns are typically transported in something with a handle, be it a hard or soft "case" -- being in a "case" they are in a safe condition. On the other hand, a hunting gun may be carried at the ready with a sling, anticipating a target of opportunity.

Quote:
I find it ironic that my trap Lefever did not come with a rib...........
There are historically significant early LeFevers and then there are the later Ithica LeFevers. After WWI, many gun companies were bought up by others who didn't always respect previously well regarded brand names. The single barrel LeFevers were made by Ithica from 1927 until WWII. You mentioned your Lefever is a .410 marked Long Range Trap. Think about it, have you ever heard of long range trap being shot with a .410-bore gun? I haven't. It may be a youth model loosely modeled after a 12-ga target gun.
Old February 16, 2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Keg

Actually..the Long Range trap Lefever is in the book..It lists a 410 gauge....
I believe at a pretty good upgrade from other gauges......
Old February 16, 2011, 12:01 PM   #10
zippy13

Quote:
Actually..the Long Range trap Lefever is in the book..It lists a 410 gauge....
I believe at a pretty good upgrade from other gauges……
IINM, from what I've been able to learn, Lefever Arms made a single barrel Trap gun with a ventilated rib and a Long Range Trap and Field model, as yours is described, but not a Long Range Trap model. Perhaps the and Field is missing from your gun or difficult to see. Obviously, there is a great difference in value between the Trap guns made by D.M. LeFever between 1904-06 and the later ones made by Lefever Arms.
Old February 17, 2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Keg

Zippy....Yes..I had to go drag it out...It has been a long time..........It is a Long Range Trap and Field gun................And Yes..There is a lot of diffenence between the Ithaca guns and the DM Lefever guns..........I bought it because it was an interesting little gun.................Even more confusing..A field gun also used for trap..........hmmmmm
Old February 17, 2011, 11:55 AM   #12
zippy13

Quote:
A field gun also used for trap……….hmmmmm
Youbetcha, it happens all the time... there are two types of trap shooters: Those who want to be as proficient as their natural abilities will allow. These are the guys who typically have guns that are specifically made or modified for trap shooting. On the other hand, there are those who just want to improve their general shotgunning skills. They're usually shooting a field gun with an occasional shorty in the mix. They range from Christmas morning new to being older than the shooter.

I suspect the Lefever Arms folks thought a gun named Long Range Trap and Field would be more appealing than one called up-graded general purpose. I don't have a clue why it includes Long Range. Perhaps they didn't want to use just Trap and Field because it had been the name of a magazine since 1890.

As for using a field gun on a trap field, as long the shooter is aware of basic rules and etiquette, there are no problems. It's a bother when a newbie is assigned to post #1, and he doesn't know the duties of the squad leader. A field auto-loader can you into trouble if it doesn't have a restricted ejector. Another newbie no-no is using inappropriate ammo. The new shooter is often unaware that larger pellets will carry beyond the range's designed shot fall safety zones. Also, some clubs have minimum barrel requirements. Every now and then, there's the newbie who gets upset when he is called for violating the "load one shell at a time" rule -- don't try out your new mag extension while trap shooting.

Following the postings, here at the shotgun forum, I find it interesting how many new shooters are unaware of the basic rules and courtesies when they try the shotgun sports. They frequently complain about some gun club's unreasonable rules and then refer to them as snobs.
Old February 17, 2011, 12:04 PM   #13
oneounceload

Quote:
I find it interesting how many new shooters are unaware of the basic rules and courtesies when they try the shotgun sports. They frequently complain about some gun club's unreasonable rules and then refer to them as snobs.
Ain't THAT the truth..............maybe it's because they are so used to shooting at some indoor pistol range with lane dividers and others who know nothing about the rules and etiquette..............
Old February 17, 2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Keg

Well...Zippy and One Ounce........Thanks for yalls info........I actually only use a shotgun for duck and pheasant hunting..and the occasional polecat in the yard....hahaa.........There is a Sporting Clays Range down the road..I have thought of going to.........
Old February 17, 2011, 01:06 PM   #15
olddrum1

Keg, do you have a model number on either gun?
Old February 17, 2011, 01:19 PM   #16
Keg

Model no.19 on the Western Field(Iver Johnson Champion)
The other only has J Stevens Arms Company..Chichopee Falls..one side
Other side has...The Fully Guaranteed Single Gun........
Old February 17, 2011, 01:27 PM   #17
zippy13

Quote:
There is a Sporting Clays Range down the road..
Hey Keg,
In you part of Texas, isn't there a Sporting Clays Range down just about every road?
Or, you could head up to olddrum1's place, IIRC, he's got his own trap layout and has owned just about every classic shotgun ever made.
Old February 17, 2011, 01:51 PM   #18
Keg

Zippy...Actually U can find em in most everyone's front yard around here.......LOL

Proper etiquette means shooting from the front porch..Always empty your can or bottle before U take a shot.........Flattened cans for skeet..Longnecks for trap(for the extra distance)..........note: this generally works best with an assistant thrower(I prefer the buxom female type)..........

Basic rules and courtesies are always adhered to...........

Last edited by Keg; February 17, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 20, 2011, 01:24 AM   #19
olddrum1

Checked some of my references and could not find anything on the Model 19. My guess is that these were for the less than snobbish end of the trap world. Date wise and this is just a blind guess but late 50's early 60's. Please someone tell me I am wrong.
Old February 20, 2011, 02:03 AM   #20
Keg

Olddrum1.........thanks........I did find this.........

CHAMPION MATTED RIB MODEL----------------------------------1912-1942
Single barrel centered mounted rebounding hammer; top lever break open mechanism; solid raised full length rib finely matted; American Black Walnut full checkered pistol gripped butt stock, and fore-end; gagues 12,16 and 20; barrel length: 28, 30 and 32 inches full chocked; weight with 30 inch barrel 12 gague 7 ¼ lbs., 16 and 20 gague 7 pounds; automatic extractors or automatic ejectors; case hardened frame and blue barrel; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; .410 bore added in 1928 with a 28 inch full chocked barrel.
This model will also be found marked with the WESTERN FIELD brand name

The special trap model had a vent rib instead of matted.....only difference
Old February 20, 2011, 02:40 AM   #21
Keg

Found this on the J Stevens Arms Company...........

1920 - Someone also mentioned that prior to being bought by Savage in 1920, Stevens guns were stamped with "J. Stevens Arms & Tools Company". After they were bought , the name stamped on the guns was "J. Stevens Arms Company", which was discontinued in the late 1940's.
Old February 20, 2011, 03:01 AM   #22
T. O'Heir

"...Were these used for trap..." Nope. Lugging it around.
Old February 20, 2011, 07:28 AM   #23
Keg

T Oheir......Thanks your a tremendous help......