The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 1, 2016, 01:23 PM   #26
Trum4n1208

As for the telescoped Sharps, Josey Wales uses it as a flag pole when he rides out to the Comancheros. I think he uses it for the first shot of that fight too.
Old June 1, 2016, 11:44 PM   #27
OutlawJoseyWales

Yes, that's what I meant to say, sorry I wasn't clear.
AFTER the "parlay" flag pole and subsequent firing, he obviously drops it there (off camera) and pulls his pistols, I don't see it being used anywhere else, in any other scene.

However, I know that in movies, guns are props, and only used to advance the storyline. They have no other purpose. That isn't the case in real life, if you lose something like that Sharps, you would certainly be going after it. However, once it was used in that scene, there was no other reason for it to re-appear, as it no longer advance any storyline, sadly.

He was a "big pistol fighter," not a big sharps shooter, as per the movie.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen it somewhere that I might have missed. thanks
Old June 2, 2016, 10:58 AM   #28
Trum4n1208

Ah I getcha, my bad. I don't recall seeing it anywhere else, which is a shame. I love those big 'ol Long Malcolm scopes. If I had one, I sure as hell would go back for it. Heck, I probably wouldn't have been able to make myself drop the rifle at all. I'd end up babying it, especially with that scope.
Old June 2, 2016, 11:02 AM   #29
g.willikers

I was watching a movie the other day where in one scene the hero is shooting a rifle and slightly later in the same scene, it was nowhere in sight.
Disposable rifle?
Old June 2, 2016, 04:57 PM   #30
cpt-t

Darn it Guys: I love this movie and I watch it every time it comes , and now you have gone and ruined it for me. Now all I will be doing is watching for all of the mistakes rather than cheering Josey on. You All should be ashamed of yourselves. As a young boy I lived in Carthage Mo ((( Home of Myra Bell Shirley later Bell Star ))) in 1959 thru 1963 and spent many hours. Just spelled bound listing to the Old Men on the park benches tell the stories, that their Grandfathers, Great Uncles, and other Old Relatives, had told them so long ago. That was a very special time for me and I have great memories of those Old Men.
ken
Old June 2, 2016, 09:39 PM   #31
OutlawJoseyWales

Sorry cpt, we'll try and straighten up.

Great stories there, bet that was cool. The closest to that was in the early 1960's listening to WWII vets tell me what the pictures meant in my large TIME WWII picture book. Still remember that even though I was a little kid.

Love the movie, saw it my freshman year in college when it came out. I don't mind the very few mistakes that were in it. Back in '76, I had no idea the weapons were not authentic civil war arms. It was long year later before I even know what the odd looking "crank" was on the bottom of the barrels of the civil war pistols. ha. I was even a history major in college, imagine that.

I've read many things that have been written about the books and the movie, but I refuse to watch the 2nd movie, not interested. Also, much mystery is around about the author of the book, rather interesting stuff.
Old June 2, 2016, 11:02 PM   #32
foolzrushn

I don't think it would have hurt the storyline for Josie to have had a rifle scabbard. Movies seldom follow the book closely anyway. Might have been in a few more scenes.

certified 'soap welder'
Old June 5, 2016, 01:11 AM   #33
cpt-t

JOSEY: Most of the Old Stories that the Old Men told that I remember, sorta point to being like the first scene in the movie The Outlaw Josey Wales. Where a group of Murdering Animals, killed Josey Wales defenceless family. In the movie it just happened to be a group of Jim Blanes Kansas Redlegs. But it could have been just as easily been Quantrill or Bloody Bill Anderson`s boys. Carthage Mo was in Jasper County Mo, it had over 30,000 people living there before the Civil War. But after the Civil War there was less than a 1000 people and some Local Historians say there were less than 300 people left living in Jasper County Mo. And a lot of these people were killed by Marauding Bands of Animals just for sport. Jim Blain`s Kansas Redlegs and Quantrill & Bloody Bill Anderson`s boys were not were darn sure not Soldiers of any kind. They were just plain and simple Murdering Savages. But I am just fascinated by this Time and Location in Civil War History. I really can't explain this even to myself.
ken
Old June 5, 2016, 09:42 AM   #34
Minorcan

Here's a biggie, all that talk about Gorilla fighting made me wonder and sure enough Mountain Gorillas weren't discovered until 1902, well after the War of Northern Intrusion. But the term Guerrilla Warfare was developed from Spanish for that type of war and was used in the 1800s.
Old June 5, 2016, 11:53 PM   #35
4V50 Gary
Staff

Cpt-t - any more stories?

Minorcan - you're right that guerilla was termed early in the 19th Century and is likely a corrution of "La petite guerre" as it was called by the French (and some French speaking Germans).
Old June 6, 2016, 06:46 PM   #36
OutlawJoseyWales

This is getting interesting. I just looked it up. And very appropriate lately because of the faux outrage so many have expressed over recent developments in a certain zoo.

You might think that Guerrilla fighter came from someone fighting gorillas because they lived in the thick brush and could sneak up on you. This would probably have been what some of my elementary school friends would have told me...and I would have TOTALLY believed them. Sounds right doesn't it? haha

But alas, not true: no gorillas in our guerrilla fightin'
guerrilla (n.)
"fighter in an irregular, independent armed force," 1809, from Spanish guerrilla "body of skirmishers, skirmishing warfare," literally "little war," diminutive of guerra "war," from a Germanic source cognate with Old High German werra "strife, conflict, war," from Proto-Germanic *werra- (see war (n.)). Acquired by English during the Peninsular War (1808-1814), when bands of Spanish peasants and shepherds annoyed the occupying French. Purists failed in their attempt to keep this word restricted to "irregular warfare" and prevent it taking on the sense properly belonging to guerrillero "guerrilla fighter." Figurative use by 1861. As an adjective from 1811.
Old June 6, 2016, 07:05 PM   #37
Minorcan

Quote:
Cpt-t - any more stories?

Minorcan - you're right that guerilla was termed early in the 19th Century and is likely a corrution of "La petite guerre" as it was called by the French (and some French speaking Germans).
Lots of words sound similar especially with European languages but its definitely of Spanish origin as the Outlaw says in the above post.

Not being pick but word variations are very interesting in understanding history, etc. Either way I wouldn't want to go up against Josey, especially with a BP Cap-n-Ball !!!
Old June 15, 2016, 10:01 PM   #38
cpt-t

4V50 Gary: As You can see, I am still sort of a Cherry Boy here. Is it alright to
to tell a few of the Civil War Stories that I remember the Old Men telling to me as a young kid. Setting on the park benches on the city square in Carthage Mo. Myra Belle Shirley AKA (( Belle Star )), Quantrill & Bloody Bill Anderson, the Youngers & the James and the people that rode with them were the main topic in most of these Old Men`s Stories. This was a very special time for me, just being able to just set and listen to them. But I don`t need to get in any more trouble with the Higher Ups here on these forum. But if it is all right, I've got a few Civil War Stories, I could tell you guys.
ken
Old June 16, 2016, 09:02 AM   #39
foolzrushn

cpt-t

Yeah.....start a new thread and go for it ( more stories ). 4V50 Gary is at a Santa Fe Trail rendezvous 'til Sunday. Heck, he's probably too busy skinnin' bears and eatin' snakes to respond.

Besides...it would take too long for the Pony Express to get here with his reply anyway.

And as a history buff in South Central Kansas, you might find some of the links on the
www.pawneerock.org website, under 'history' in the menu, to be interesting.

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; June 16, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old June 16, 2016, 02:04 PM   #40
4V50 Gary
Staff

Cpt- post them in this thread: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150010

Presently I'm reading about the Wa-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED-a Massacre and about tanks (By Tank into Normandy) of WW II. Haven't found anything to share recently in that thread but those old stories of yours are perfect for the above thread.