The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 18, 1999, 07:23 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

Let's face it, other shooting sports I need one pistol, holster, mag pouch, three or four magazines and I'm ready. Cowboying, ya need two revolvers, one rifle, one shotgun and maybe a pocket pistol or derringer, and maybe a long distance rifle. Not to mention dressing like a cowboy and choosing a funny name. In the west and southwest no big deal. But try dressing like a cowboy in New Jersey or Kentucky. What about the sport made you turn cowboy?
Old December 19, 1999, 07:16 AM   #2
Hal

The Lone Ranger. I'm in my late 40's, I remember playing Cowboys and Indians, today it would have to be Cattlepersons and Native Americans I guess just so it would be PC. The opening of the show had the line "Return with us now to the days of yesteryear". Now I no sooner want to give up my computer, car or any of the other modern stuff any more now than I did when I was a kid. I do however want a quiet corner where I can just pass time. fal308's saying "Playing Cowboys and Indians but with real guns" kept playing through my head. I loved playing it as kid.

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited December 19, 1999).]
Old December 19, 1999, 10:38 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I read about it in gun rags then subscribed to Gun Games where there is pretty good coverage of it. I already had most of the weaponry needed. This gave me an excuse to buy more weapons . Moreover it's great fun, what with no real gamers involved (though that is slightly changing).
Old December 20, 1999, 08:37 PM   #4
Trigger Jerk

I was into IPSC at the time. One of my fellow IPSC buddies was starting a CAS club at the same range. I went out to watch a match and slowly got hooked. The thing I like the best is getting to shoot more than just one or one type of gun. I want to be a well rounded good shot, and this is one way to do that.

Also as mentioned, not too many gamers, and a whole bunch of really nice folks.
Old December 22, 1999, 10:33 AM   #5
Ned Roundtree

Went to my first CAS match with no idea what to expect. I had one ruger pistol and a Rossi lever action, no shotgun,borrowed the holster. It was the first CAS match my pistol club ever attempted. Two stages. We all had a blast, between the costuming and old guns it was neat. I had always watched on TV, ROY ROGERS, LONE RANGER, WAGON TRAIN, and lets not forget GUNSMOKE as a kid. So deep down I was always a cowboy wannabe. Now here was a shooting sport that let me do just that.
Old December 22, 1999, 10:56 AM   #6
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

I saw a profile of the Cherokee Cowboys CAS club on CNN. Knowing it was near me,I did a search on the Internet and found their home page. After exchanging email with Joe West,I watched a few matches while I collected the neccesary firearms. I shot my first match in June of '98,and the rest,as they say,is history. I now shoot three matches a month and work at the Shootout at Mule Camp.

Bellicose Bill
Old December 23, 1999, 09:16 AM   #7
Old Jules

I saw End Of Trail coverd on American Shooter about 3 years ago. The shooting looked like FUN. Then I read an article in Gun Games magazine about Shootout at Mule Camp in Gainesville,GA. Since we are close my wife and I went to watch. We loved it.I started gathering the guns and clothes needed and shot my first match in Jan.'98.My wife "Angel Diamond" shot her first match in March '98. We are now both invoved, along with Bellicose Bill,in helping to put on Mule Camp.Cowboy shooting is great fun and we have made alot of good people.
Old December 25, 1999, 09:16 PM   #8
Judge Blackhawk

Because when I was growing up, my heros were always cowboys. I wish we had heros like that today.

Where Mr. Autry, Roy Rogers, John Wayne, when we really need them.

The heros our children have today, are not worthy to shine the boots of the above heros.

Heroes today are drug addicts, criminals and the like.

For a brief period of time each month, I proudly take out my guns, my leather and my boots and I ride the trails with my heroes if only in my dreams.

God Bless you all and Merry Christmas.

May the good Lord in his wisdom, grant you peace and happiness in the coming new year.

Judge Blackhawk

Old December 26, 1999, 05:20 PM   #9
Bullmoose

Among other things going Cowgirl was too expensive and painful and didn't fit my alias BullMoose