The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Sheriff Gotcha

Looking for a EDC gun... maybe FNS?

I was curious of the opinions of the good people over here at TFL...

With the FNS pistol being the newest installment from FNH, would you say it is unwise to purchase one as an EDC gun as they may have not worked out all the "kinks" with it yet?

I know the FNX has been out for quite some years now and people are still finding problems every now and again. I'm sure that's not abnormal for any manufacturer though, occasionally a lemon comes off the line.

Anyways, long question short, would an FNS be a viable choice as an EDC gun? (after putting a few hundred rounds down range of course) I just don't want it to perform flawlessly for the first 500 rounds and then god forbid I start carrying it and need it only to have something occur then.

Small side note, if you think the FNS isn't a wise idea, what compact would you suggest?
Old October 12, 2012, 07:00 AM   #2
TunnelRat

Quote:
Small side note, if you think the FNS isn't a wise idea, what compact would you suggest?
While I really like the FNX, I never considered it a compact. I probably could have carried it, but to be honest it always seemed a bit bulky for that. It's rather blocky and the mag baseplates print a fair amount. Texture can be a bit rough if right against your skin. But I'm only 5' 9" so a larger frame might do better.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 12, 2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Creeper

I've spent a bit of time on the FNS sub-forum at FNForums.net (as I'm also highly interested in the FNS due to it's ambi controls), and the vast majority of owners are happy with them.
Sure, there are a few lemons... but find me a gun that was problem free for one and all right from the outset. In the unlikely event you do have an issue, FNH is well known for fast and professional service.

Two guns that I'm also looking at closely, and you might want to do the same, are the Steyr C9-A1 compact and Caracal C. The low bore center and overall balance of these guns is something you must experience for yourself. They were both designed by the same man... Wilhelm Bubits. A name you may know from Glock's history.

C
Old October 12, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
pilpens

I have not fired an FNS. It probably is a good pistol.
I just want to comment on size; for me, a pistol this big can be uncomfortable as an everyday/all day CCW.
Carrying OWB -- not concealed, the size probably is OK.
Given the same quality belt and holster, it is more comfortable to carry a small pistol than to carry a big pistol.
======
I started out carrying a Sig P6, then a Walther P99, and sometimes a 5" 1911. I find them all to be too big to be comfortable. I still CC the P99 and Sig P6 but have been on the look out for a good deal on a smaller pistol. ======
Recently, I acquired a Kahr K9 for my GF. It's size is very nice for CC. It is slightly too small for my hands but can work real nice as a CCW.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Mystro

I like the trigger on my FNX better than my FNS. So much so, I sold my FNS. I did clean the trigger up on the FNS but still felt "Glock like" but no where near as smooth as a PPQ. I can't recomend the FNX enough. I wear mine when I am doing rough stuff on the tractor or ATV. It's a tough, accurate, and dependable gun that is light enough to carry all day. It also carries a lot of rounds so I don't need to carry a extra mag. I will say both the FNX and FNS feed all and any rounds with out a issue so if you like the FNS trigger, it will serve you well.

Last edited by Mystro; October 12, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Sheriff Gotcha

I was considering the FNX as my first pistol and went with a CZ instead. I am still in the hunt for an FN product and when I saw the FNS was finally available after I started my search for an EDC weapon it immediately jumped to the top of my list.

Are there already holsters for the FNS? I remember people saying there weren't many holsters made specifically for the FNX.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:58 PM   #7
labhound

The tip of the striker on my FNS-9 broke after shooting 130 rounds. I suspect it was defective from the factory as the trigger pull at times would have a really bad rough spot. FNH customer service was excellent. E-mailed me a UPS shipping label and turn around time was exactly three weeks. I've put around 450 flawless rounds through it since I got it back. The striker trigger pull on my FNS-9 is on par with my XD45 and my SR9 but all vary slightly from each other and are obviously different from a hammer fired gun. The FNS-9 has become one of my favorite 9mm's.
Old October 13, 2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
FNS pistol

from FNH
Can't spell?

What is FNS/FNH?

I feel so gun illiterate.

Do you know what an R8 is?
Old October 13, 2012, 09:36 AM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Can't spell?

What is FNS/FNH?

I feel so gun illiterate.
FNS is the model of gun, with the S at the end denoting it is a Striker-fired pistol. FNH stands for FN Herstal, the company that makes the gun. Commonly referred to as FN, they usually identify themselves as FNH, with Herstal being their place of Origin.

So no they're not really abbreviations. And yes it's amazing how this thing called Google can help you figure stuff out.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
And yes it's amazing how this thing called Google can help you figure stuff out.
So I have to take the effort to learn to spell FNH, as apposed the OP spelling it out?

Google lazy! Who is who, which is which? Not everybody know what a Glock 18 or an R8 is either unless they "Google" it.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:09 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
So I have to take the effort to learn to spell FNH, as apposed the OP spelling it out?

Google lazy! Who is who, which is which? Not everybody know what a Glock 18 or an R8 is either unless they "Google" it.
No, google "FNH" and you'll get the answer.

Indeed, and that's what those people do. We're not here to cater to others' laziness.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Mystro

Are there already holsters for the FNS? I remember people saying there weren't many holsters made specifically for the FNX.

Not many specific holsters but many will fit. In fact I have a leather one for sale on the sales forum for the FNS/FNX.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Sheriff Gotcha

Mystro or others, What do you think about the weight of the gun and the size. Would you consider it for inside the waistband carry? Or would it be one that's better suited for OWB carry?

If memory serves me right it's 25 ish ounces unloaded which is a little under 2lbs so what 2.5-3 loaded or are bullets heavier than that? This is my first time concidering carrying since I just got my permit.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:11 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
What do you think about the weight of the gun and the size. Would you consider it for inside the waistband carry? Or would it be one that's better suited for OWB carry?
To me the weight isn't the issue, it's the blockiness, size, and texture that would make me a little leery of IWB carry.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:31 PM   #15
labhound

You could probably carry the gun IWB as it's not much bigger than a Glock 19, but I think OWB would be more comfortable. I carry mine OWB. Got this info about FNH from Wikipedia. FNH=Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal. Fabrique Nationale (FN) is a subsidiary of the Belgian Herstal Group, which also owns U.S. Repeating Arms Company (Winchester) and Browning Arms Company. FN Herstal is the parent company of two United States entities: FN Manufacturing and FNH USA. FN Manufacturing, located in Columbia, South Carolina, is the manufacturing branch of FN Herstal in the United States, producing firearms such as the M249 and M240 machine guns and M16 rifle, among others. FNH USA, located in McLean, Virginia, is the sales and marketing branch of FN Herstal in the United States.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:34 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
You could probably carry the gun IWB as it's not much bigger than a Glock 19
Eh, it feels quite a big larger to me. You'd be surprised the difference a half an inch makes. Don't get me wrong, it is doable. It would be great if you could try it first. An FNX would be the same height if you have access to that.