The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2012, 06:19 AM   #176
Mike Irwin
Staff

"However, the B Western cowboys may not have even had a Colt .45 revolver. The one I believe John Wayne used in the 1930s and 1940s was a .38-40. But "Colt .45" does sound better."

In the heyday of the Hollywood western it really wouldn't have mattered much at all. Seldom were the cartridges refered to, and when they were they were normally referred to in very nebulous terms, like the "big .45," or something similar.

Virtually all of the guns in Hollywood at that time were chambered in .38-40, .44-40, or .45 Colt, and virtually no distinction was made on the movie set or at the prop houses because they all used the 5-in-1 blank, which were loaded in large quantities by Winchester and Remington almost exclusively for the movie industry.

Trivia... The reason they were called 5-in-1 blanks, when it's only three cartridges?

Colt and other revolvers chambered in .45 Long Colt, .44-40, and .38-40, and Winchester rifles chambered in .38-40 and .44-40.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:17 AM   #177
Jim Watson

One of the gunzine writers, John Taffin, maybe, described buying a studio gun cheap, only to find that the barrel and cylinder did not match. The prop department didn't care, as long as it took the blanks.
Old September 7, 2012, 08:08 AM   #178
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not surprising at all.

My guess is that when they were cleaned they simply pulled them apart, cleaned them, then reassembled them in no particular order.

The ammunition industry used to do a pretty good business loading all manner of blank cartridges for the movie industry.

Early Remington boxes were marked "5-in-1 Movie Blanks" while later boxes just had 5-in-1 on them.

Apparently Remington offered both loaded and primed empties, and both sold to Hollywood. The gun house armorers would custom load rounds as necessary to meet the required specifications for a shootout or a movie.

Winchester also loaded rifle cartridges, .30-30 and others, for the movies.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:07 AM   #179
FloridaVeteran

I might be the only one in the room who once sat down to supper with Gene Autry. His producer (or manager, whatever the title) was my uncle's next-door neighbor (as in, the next ranch over). Think it was 1951 or 52. I couldn't sleep the night before. We got to the house first. Here I am waiting to hear the clippity clop of Champion. Imagine the feeling when I barreled out the opening front door, as he pulled up in his car and got out dressed in a business suit. Possibly the most confused moment of my life.
Old September 8, 2012, 05:25 AM   #180
BlueTrain

Not gun related but there's a video on Youtube of Gene Autry and Jerry Lee Lewis having a conversation. Gene Autry had been a singer and musician for years before his first movie, which was a wester/science fiction serial.

While I suppose they were mostly movie props, Roy Rogers had a collection of fancy revolvers and probably many were .45 Colts. I believe his museum was closed and the collection dispersed, though it may have been Gene Autry's. Don't know. Whichever it was, I believe it had been moved to Branson, MO, first.
Buy War Bonds.