The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: do you carry a knife with your ccw?
gun and knife. 208 77.61%
just gun. 42 15.67%
just knife. 18 6.72%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 20, 2010, 10:21 PM   #101
Big_T

Life in the DPRK

Living in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia I don't get to carry a gun. So I ALWAYS have a knife.

Big gerber folder in the car with seatbelt cutter and glass punch. Always on my person is a SOG Mini X-Ray Vision. If my mode of dress is prohibitive of the SOG, I'll pack a Gerber Mini Covert with the clip removed to narrow the profile.

If I'm going to be out at night, I'll also try to pack a SureFire light as well and there's always one in the car.

Old February 21, 2010, 04:09 PM   #102
Sose

I always do but as a tool, not a defensive weapon. I am even more anal about having a knife on me when I deploy (as is the case right now). I'm currently carrying a cheap-o chinese knife on my front pocket and a Gerber Applegate Fairbairn on my belt, close to the small of my back.

The cheapo chinese is a disposable one meant to get used for anything. And the Applegate one... well...

When I'm stateside, I usually carry a Kershaw Ken Onion.
Old February 21, 2010, 04:14 PM   #103
Sose

This reminds me...

Does anyone have a link to laws pertaining to the carry of a concealed knife?

If I should be asking for this elsewhere, kindly let me know.

Thanks guys.
Old February 21, 2010, 08:06 PM   #104
Laserlips

Yep...

jesse

or:

Old February 21, 2010, 08:16 PM   #105
Laserlips

Sose:

There is more confusion and misunderstandings regarding LEGAL carry of a knife than there are opinions on the same subject.

I can tell you 2 things regarding this issue I have found out, (for MY needs, living in Georgia), regarding the legality of carrying a knife.

1. FULLY Automatic opening folding knives are a no-no (switchblades). A folding knife IN the pocket CAN BE considered a "conceal weapon"..
2. ASSISTED opening folding knives are legal, and when carried clipped to the top of the pants pocket (and even a small portion of the handle is visible) are NOT considered "concealed weapons"..

Don't know about fixed blades as that's something that does not appeal to me.

I always have either a Kershaw Shallot, or ProTech Ciabatta clipped on the pocket of my trousers. I always also have in my back pocket an LWS380...

Sometimes, (generally when I'm out of my local "comfort zone" and know I'll be transitioning an area with an abundance of roads named after a deceased Baptist preacher) I'll carry my HK P2000sk in my iwb holster, plus the Seecamp, plus a knife..

Insurance is a good thing..

Just personal opinion, and no offense intended to anyone who might disagree with it..

Best Wishes,

jesse

Old February 22, 2010, 12:25 PM   #106
lsbbigdog

I carry G26 with a Kershaw Leek
Old February 22, 2010, 03:22 PM   #107
Sose

Laserlips, that seems to be the case, yes. No one ever really knows. I've asked local LEOs and they all have different answers. It's truly a shame.

I've also looked into VA gov's site and have come up empty on laws pertaining to concealed blades.

I appreciate and thank you for your insight.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:13 PM   #108
Lawyer Daggit

Don't know if it will work in your jurisdictions, so I suggest further enquiry, but consider using a knife that has a clip and clip it to your pants pocket. Part of the knife is exposed and therefore it is hard for someone to say it is concealed.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:30 PM   #109
Laserlips

FWIW:

Not too long ago U.S. Customs announced their intentions to have ALL knives that are "assisted opening" declared illegal, or the same as dedicated automatic switchblades..:barf:

U.S. Customs apparently thought it was a done deal, but the knife manufacturers, along with the NRA (yes, the NRA) and others started lobbying and raising cain, calling their legislators, etc., and not only did the U.S. Customs have to back off their intentions to basically outlaw folding knives but new legislation WAS PASSED, signed, and is law making assisted opening folding knives LEGAL.. Period.

A surprising win for our freedoms in such matters, and even the blade manufacturers were quick to thank the NRA for their help in getting the new legislation passed.

So, while local leo jurisdictions still seem to have absolutely no firm rules, or understanding of what knives are legal or what constitutes concealed vs legal carry in any given locality or State at any given moment the good news is that if they screw with you, and you ARE, according to the new legislation, carrying legally, then a good, ( read - crooked) member of the American Bar Association should be able to have the charges dropped..

I doubt 1/100 of 1% of us will ever have to defend ourselves with our knives, but IF or WHEN that time comes I'll be tickled pink to HAVE my knife available for my personal defense, and I'll worry about the legal questions later, with my attorney present.

Just personal opinion, no offense.

Jesse
Old February 22, 2010, 07:23 PM   #110
Sose

Lawyer,

Thanks for that explanation. I have looked online and have found nothing pertaining to the knife carry laws in VA. Any way you could point me in the direct direction to gain understanding on what the law in VA is? Short of consulting with a lawyer, something I would not be able to do for several more weeks.

Laserlips, very interesting post. I looked that up and here's what I found:

http://www.kniferights.org/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2368579/posts

Both very interesting reads and very current.
Old February 22, 2010, 07:58 PM   #111
qcpunk

I'm with a lot of the guys here who have said they have a knife on when they have their pants on, and I've also been carrying a knife since I was 13. I, personally, consider a knife to be a tool which can also be used as a weapon. In addition to my knife, I carry pepper spray on my keys and my P99 on my waist. My knife is a Gerber Covert Auto.

A side note; Does anyone remember what was said at CCW class regarding the 21 foot rule?? That's right folks, knives win, assuming the knife was already out and at ready.
Old February 22, 2010, 08:12 PM   #112
AcridSaint

Quote:
I have looked online and have found nothing pertaining to the knife carry laws in VA
This may be slightly out of date, but it should give a starting point:
http://knife-expert.com/va.txt
Old February 23, 2010, 12:30 PM   #113
Sose

AcridSaint, thanks!

I even found this:
http://vagunforum.net/virginia-laws/...ves-t2937.html

Heck, I didn't even know there was a VA Gun Forum!!

I guess I lucked out on both fronts.

Thanks all.
Old February 24, 2010, 02:27 PM   #114
monkeywithagun

how hard is it to get a ccw? and dosnt it make you give up some rights? thats what i heard
Old February 24, 2010, 02:34 PM   #115
Sose

If by "give up rights" you mean not do some things... well... kinda, sure.

There are laws that prevent you CCWing in a federal building, near a school or in a building that specifies that no guns are allowed. But you could just as easily leave your gun in the car, if that was the case.

Depending on your state, they might require you to take a safety course and submit paperwork to your state/county or city.

In VA, I just had to take the class and submit paperwork along with getting fingerprinted. No big deal if you've not broken the law.

I'm sure other, more experienced members here can give you specifics. But I'd recommend you check the NRA site and your state's gov site for better details.
Old February 24, 2010, 02:40 PM   #116
monkeywithagun

ok, thanks, i heard you have to give up your rights to search and cesure. i think that might just be for a class3 lisence tho
Old February 24, 2010, 02:43 PM   #117
Sose

Sorry! Wouldn't know anything about that!
You may want to check the main forum and post a new thread. That would give your question a lot more exposure.
Old February 24, 2010, 02:49 PM   #118
Rockhanger

I always carry a knife. Although now I carry one w/a pocket clip so its not completly concealed
Old February 24, 2010, 03:45 PM   #119
chris in va

Don't know what I would do without my SwissTool. It's not for SD though.
Old February 25, 2010, 08:39 AM   #120
misnomerga

Additional clarification

laserlips,

thanks for the info on GA laws concerning knife carry. Can you elaborate on something.

Quote:
1. FULLY Automatic opening folding knives are a no-no (switchblades). A folding knife IN the pocket CAN BE considered a "conceal weapon"..
2. ASSISTED opening folding knives are legal, and when carried clipped to the top of the pants pocket (and even a small portion of the handle is visible) are NOT considered "concealed weapons"..
So just as long as the clip for my folder is visible and clipped to my pocket I should be okay. Is that a correct reading of your point #2? Do you know if there is a blade length restriction? Thanks
Old February 25, 2010, 09:48 AM   #121
Laserlips

misno:

It IS my understanding that when the knife is clipped on the top edge of your pocket and a portion is VISIBLE the knife is not considered a concealed weapon.

This is not to say that your local Barney Fife agrees with me, but I do believe that IF you encounter such a dim-wit leo and you are charged with a concealed weapon a good attorney can get the charges dropped.

I'm NOt a lawyer, but I did have a McDonald's sausage biscuit yesterday.

As to blade length?

Not a clue as I believe each jurisidiction varies and if you asked ten of your local cops bet you'd get ten answers.

My thinking is that I will NEVER threaten, or cut anyone with my knife unless it was a last ditch effort to prevent MY life from being taken by a bad guy.. Under those circumstances i will be glad I'm armed, and I'll worry about the legal ramifications later..

Most good cops have no interest in giving a law abiding citizen grief over having a concealed gun or knife.. Law abiding citizens are just that.. We don't use our defensive options unless we feel our lives, or the lives of innocents are endangered, and if that circumstance ever occurs you won't be thinking about anything but protecting yourself or those others..

As to my blade length preference.

I like my Kershaw Shallot w/3" (more or less) blade. I also have the Kershaw Leek, with a less than 3" blade, and I'm thinking under most jurisdictions the shorter blade would be just fine..

Not sure about the 3" blade of the Shallot, but I want that extra inch of sharpen steel because if I ever get scared enough to use it, I want all the cutting length I can get..

Again, just personal opinion.. I can't get'cha into trouble, and I can't get'cha out of trouble, so use common sense, research your local laws on the subject and make the best choice for you.

I have a concealed weapons permit, and I think that's always a good thing, even if you are carrying a knife.. Just shows you have made an effort to do right, and have passed whatever requirements are necessary to carry, concealed a potentially lethal weapon.

No offense to those who might disagree, this is just personal opinion from an old retired fart with an enlarge prostate and a nagging mother-in-law.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. As long as I have rounds left in my carry pistol I'm not gonna be pullin' no knife anyway (double-negatives or not).

P.P.S. Pictured below l/r. Kershaw Tyrade (if I were going to a knife fight, and couldn't take a gun, this would be my choice).. Kershaw Shallot, Kershaw Leek & Kershaw Leek.. ProTech Ciabatta at top.

Old February 27, 2010, 03:19 AM   #122
saspic

Aww, why was the poll closed?

I have a large-ish Victorinox Swiss Army Knife with about 18 implements for opening boxes and whatnot.

I have a Benchmade 10100SBP for self defense.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/10100

It's an interesting design with the blade bigger than the handle. When you close it, a cam pushes a tail fin out that covers the last ~1.5" of the blade. This way when you open it, the tail fin disappears into the handle, and you don't have a huge unwieldy handle. I can still get all my fingers on it.

Also I carry two guns.

In Texas, you cannot carry a fixed knife, a switchblade, or a blade over 5.5".
The problem is, unlike knife manufacturers, Texas includes that last bit of unsharpened blade at the bottom of the blade, right above the handle. My old 5.5" had to go in the safe and I carry that 5.2" Benchmade now, because it's ~5.5" measured "Texas-style".
All of those laws do not apply if you are on your property or hunting.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...E.46.htm#46.01

Last edited by saspic; February 27, 2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: additions
Old February 27, 2010, 05:12 AM   #123
BlackFeather

All I carry most of the time. Fix blade in sheath on hip, sheath has a velcro pocket the folder goes into. Cheap knives ALWAYS. No point in spending money on something that may be slammed into concrete later or used for a pry bar. Tools as well as weapons. I don't see them as weapons most of the time as I am not quick to use them.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old February 28, 2010, 02:00 PM   #124
KSDeputy

Do you carry a knife with your CCW

I recently decided to start carrying one, for those places where my pistol was prohibited. I ordered a CRKT Hissatsu assisted opening folder, it has a 4" blade. It is strictly for self defense, not opening cans, cutting string or any of that stuff a regular pocket knife is used for.
Old February 28, 2010, 02:15 PM   #125
TXGunNut

Two most days, a Leatherman and a Cold Steel and I use one or both every day. Neither has SD as a primary role but most anything can be a weapon, right?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.