The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2009, 09:33 PM   #1
300magman

325WSM, 45-70, Marlin Express 308/338

I'm not a handloader...yet, but I plan to start soon and I'm running some numbers through Remington's "shoot" software to get an idea for what these calibers can do. The main purpose is the possibility of picking up a new woods gun that can both fire some heavy bullets and either fire those same bullets somewhat flatly or have a second round on hand for the occasional longer shot.
It seems the 325wsm and marlin express 308 can handle the longer (200-300) yard shots but I can't find any factory load data for the marling express 338. And as far as the 45-70 is concerned it seems there Might be the possibility of firing some 300-350gr rounds with decent BCs at 2200fps + But I'm only playing with software so I don't know if this is actually feasable or desireable (recoil for one negative)

Can anyone tell me anything about what is available for these calibers...as there doesn't seem to be much out there to work with, and second can anyone describe a few loads that might accomplish my goals for each (or any of) these calibers.