The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 24, 2005, 09:51 AM   #1
black bear 84

Black Bear introduced two new MEGA flashlights

The new rechargeables MEGA POWER flashlights are the black bear a 10 inches long Maglite 2 "D" heavily modified to output 678 lumens yes 178 more lumens than the vaunted Surefire M-6
It features an vastly improved bi-pin holder and the Rolls Royce of the battery carriers.

The other is the rechargeable based on the Maglite 4 "D" body and baptised "Search and Rescue" it is designed to be carried in emergency vehicles, ambulances, fire trucks, cruisers etc.
it output 852 lumens

Our MAG 951, for 951 lumens is the most powerful flashlight in the world. it continues to amaze everybody that see one.

More information is available in my thread in the For Sale section gear and accessories.
here is the link
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169074

thank you
best regards
black bear 84
Old May 24, 2005, 12:21 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Sorry dude, but the Surefire Beast has more than double the power. Sure it is brighter than the M6, but the M6 wasn't the previous holder of the title of most powerful flashlight in the world. I am not sure you can call the MAG the most powerful flashlight in the world when there is at least one other that is so much more powerful. There may be others as well.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...4204/sesent/00
Old May 25, 2005, 09:56 AM   #3
black bear 84

I am sorry to say that you are comparing apples to oranges, "The Beast" is not a flashlight but a "searchlight" it is an HID and it will take several seconds to start up. Try using that as a tactical light!!!
It eats twenty 123's not rechargeable batteries and weight a ton and cost $2,900.00

So are others searchlights more powerful than my flashlight, the Megaray, and the Maxabeam (of Jurassic Park fame) but they all are searchlights and are big, bulky things with high tickets (the Megaray cost $7.000)

My flashlight remain the most powerful flashlight in the world and cost a paltry $165.00

I built this light so regular people with regular salaries that want to have MEGALUMENS can have it whithout paying MEGABUCKS.

It is based on the Maglite 3 "D" body and fit very well under the seat of my car, try that with the "Beast"
Here is a picture of the Beast and you can compare the size of it with a normal person.

Several of my customers are police officers that use the light every night, they are very happy with it, and if you care to P. M. me I will give you a link so you can read what they have to say about my light.

Thank you for posting on my thread, all questions are welcome and I am looking forward to have more friends and happy customers in this Forum.
best regards
black bear 84
Old June 2, 2005, 07:29 AM   #4
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Double Naught Spy,

I have to agree with Black Bear 84. I just ordered a second Mag 951 from him. Gift for a friend. The Mag 951 delivers its output as a regular flashlight. You engage the pressure switch and it is delivering its full output. It's in a standard Maglite 3D housing. Its cost is less than 10% of the Surefire Beast. It will illuminate road signs from 450 meters away.

Click this link to check out what an LEO's initial impressions are while using it in the line of duty: http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....4&postcount=69
Old June 2, 2005, 12:16 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Wow, I must have missed something terribly critical to light source definitions. Please tell me exactly why the Beast is NOT a flashlight. Surefire sure thinks it is a flashlight.

As best as I can tell, illumination speed, size, output, number of batteries, and price are not determining factors in distinguishing between searchlights and flashlights, but these apparently are arbitrary criteria used by black bear.

So please illuminate things for me properly. What is the specific definition of a flashlight such that it is distinguished from what you call a searchlight?

Both lights are battery operated, portable lights with focussed beams. The beast is much brighter.
Old June 4, 2005, 04:28 AM   #6
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Look at the picture of the man holding the flashlight.
Personally, I think there is a maximum size to a flashlight based on what can be easily carried in some type of retention rig and speedily deployed. Carrying something on a sling does not fit my concept

What's the run time of the twenty 123's? Gee, that's got to hurt.

It reminds me of looking at the price tag of a Browning .50 BMG. I could scrape up the money to buy one but I doubt that I'll ever be able to buy enough ammo to justify the purchase.

Same with the Beast. Running a Surefire E2e with only two 123's is expense enough. I use my flashligts regularly. I'd be bankrupt with the Beast.

Perhaps black bear 84 should qualify his claims: The Megalight, the world's most powerful flashlight that doesn't require tons of money to use.

I'm at work right now and my batteries are in the charger. I like my Surefire and I like Surefire's price on their 123 batteries. But I sure don't like it enough to use them twenty at a time.

I've got one of those rechargeable hand held spotlights. Why isn't it a flaslight? It's too big to be a flashlight. It can not be easily carried on my hip is the reason that I do not consider it to be a flashlight.
Old June 4, 2005, 09:18 AM   #7
DT Guy

Perhaps Blackbear should throw 'tactical' in his flashlight definition.

Something that has to 'warm up' is definitely NOT a tactical flashlight. So I get his point.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old June 4, 2005, 02:39 PM   #8
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

DT Guy,

I think so, too. But I haven't used a Beast nor seen one used. Therefore, I skipped that point.
Old June 4, 2005, 11:43 PM   #9
black bear 84

From my post 5/25 at 10.56 am

am sorry to say that you are comparing apples to oranges, "The Beast" is not a flashlight but a "searchlight" it is an HID and it will take several seconds to start up. Try using that as a tactical light!!!

Well, as you can see I did use "tactical" light and all the implications of tactical use as to strobing the light to disorient the adversary.
As you can see a light that takes several seconds to start up can not be used in that capacity.

Best regards
black bear 84