The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 30, 2001, 10:22 PM   #1
kjm

Hunt Africa for buffalo?

My personal obsession is to go to Africa in the next 5 years and hunt Cape buffalo. Has anyone here done this, and where might I get info on this type of thing? How much should I expect to spend on something like this? What kind of rifle is appropriate?

Thanks for your input and stories!
Old August 30, 2001, 11:29 PM   #2
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I think this was about the closest, recently...

Wandering Thoughts
Old August 31, 2001, 05:36 AM   #3
mundumugu

you may try www.shooterstalk.com . There is a section about hunting in Africa, and many buffalo topics in it, including outfitters and costs. Myself, I dream with cape buffaloes in a progressive basis. 5 years? Maybe we meet by there! luck and health, bwana.
Old August 31, 2001, 01:31 PM   #4
HankB

Quote:
My personal obsession is to go to Africa in the next 5 years...
Things are going downhill fast over there - five years may be too late. First I hunted South Africa - we know what's happening there. Then I hunted Zimbabwe - which is fast becoming a racist hellhole. Then I hunted Zambia - which recently closed hunting because of irregularities (read: MASSIVE problems with kickbacks and bribes) in allocation of hunting areas. So what's left? Tanzania, Botswana, and Namibia. First two are IMHO prohibitively expensive, last one I don't know enough about to offer an opinion.

I guess a few other African countries offer hunting, too, but usually these are mentioned in conjunction with specialty game. (Example: Bongo in Cameroon.)

I'd suggest you contact Safari Club International for more info. Also, there is - or used to be - a publication called "The Hunting Report" out of Florida which had lots of info from regular people who'd recently hunted in various parts of the world. Had plenty of "candid" observations, relatively free of "spin."
Old August 31, 2001, 03:04 PM   #5
H&H,hunter

Hey guys don't forget Mozambique it just opened 2 years ago and the Buffalo hunting is pretty good I hear. When did Zambia shut down?? I was looking at a hunt there just about a month ago?? I don't know if it's worth a spit but Atkinson has been advertsing some pretty good deals for Buff in Tanzania 7 days 2X1 $6850 all inclusive. Look em up at www.atkinsonhunting.com
Good luck.