The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2013, 09:16 PM   #1
osirus82

Innovative modern equipment.

So I think I have done well reading and learning about reloading and finding some cool up to date tools, like the little crow trimmer and i want that dillon swager unit. But is there any other cool gadgets or tools?, what cool stuff have you seen?
Old August 16, 2013, 08:21 AM   #2
steve4102

The Lee Factory Crimp die, both Rifle and handgun.
Old August 16, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Reloader2

Innovative modern equipment.

Started using an electric vibrating powder trickled a few years back and I like it a lot better than the manual tricklers. A scoop with the Lee dipper and a couple of taps on the button and I'm ready to go.
Old August 16, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

For rifle loading, there's nothing that beats the RCBS Chargemaster Combo or the Hornady AutoCharge.
Old August 16, 2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

When carbide dies became available to the home reloader. I thought that was a real achievement reached by the manufactures. Those particular dies had an effect on every reloader I knew of at the time. As everyone seemed to reload some sort of center-fire pistol cartridge then {and now.} What a time saver those dies turned out to be. These last 15-20 years nothing has really impressed me concerning the manufactures new gadgetry. Certainly not some new tool that "I just got to have!!"_ For instance. Their new electric scales which I consider those to be nothing more than a simple convenience tool. {As for me} Not an item "I just got to have!!"
There is where the manufactures should concentrate their efforts on. Innovative_"I gott'a have types of tools."_ IMHO as the economy is sluggish and times are tight for many. I expect to see more Tinker Bell equipment {as I see them} advertized than a tool having real necessity value. "But well see. As only time will tell"

S/S

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; August 16, 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: oops
Old August 16, 2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Sevens

The Giraud Trimmer blows me away, even if so many simply scoff at it when they see the price tag.

I think the Lee collet neck-only size die a fine tool.

But in my opinion, there really aren't a lot of "new" things in this hobby that have radically changed the landscape. I think our ability to share ideas, discussions and help over internet forums has been a phenomenal tool for me, more than any gadgets I've seen or hoped to purchase.
Old August 16, 2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Sierra280

Those jeunke ultrasonic bullet internal symmetry testers are supercool, don't make them anymore though.
Old August 16, 2013, 03:09 PM   #8
osirus82

is that harvey hand deprimer new? anyone use one? does it work well?
Old August 16, 2013, 03:24 PM   #9
dahermit

The Lee Collet Neck Size die.
Old August 16, 2013, 04:16 PM   #10
schmellba99

RCBS Chargemaster
Progressive press technology
Internet - both for forums like this, but also for manufacturers to publish their load data - having 30 different books (while still recommended by me) is not as necessary as it was
Digital measuring equipment (hey, it's just easier to read)

And I salivate over a Giraud trimmer. I want one - maybe some day I'll pigeon hole enough cash to slide one in by the Missus without getting castrated.
Old August 16, 2013, 05:58 PM   #11
tomhy1911

square trays for my auto primer, I always wondered why they are round.
Not a big thing but its a lot easier and I never drop primers.
Old August 17, 2013, 09:45 AM   #12
steve4102

QuickLoad
Old August 17, 2013, 11:03 AM   #13
cryogenic419

I really am loving ultrasonic cleaning for both brass and gun parts. While its not some new tech, it is newer to the mainstream reloader. I'll second or third the cheer for the Chargemaster combo. I cannot even begin to say how much time this thing has saved me when reloading highpower rifle match ammo.

I used to DREAD trimming rifle brass. DREAD it!! But if you want super accurate ammo its gotta be done. Finally broke down a few weeks ago at Camp Perry and snagged a Giraud trimmer direct from the man himself. Yeah its a pretty stout investment but my god what a timesaver. Trimming brass just flies by now, what used to be an all day event can get done in an hour.
Old August 17, 2013, 03:12 PM   #14
jmorris

This is the most innovative gadget I have put together for reloading.

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmo...O0114.mp4.html
Old August 18, 2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

jmorris: Now that is the best invention I seen in a while concerning reloading tools. Its safety features are outstanding Sir.

S/S
Old August 18, 2013, 11:41 PM   #16
John C

Osirus82;

I have and use a Harvey hand deprimer. It's fantastic! It's kind of expensive, about $50 when I got it, but the construction is well worth it. It's solid machined aluminum, with good, thick anodizing.

If you're depriming a lot of brass, it's much faster than using a depriming die. It's fast, easy, and simple. I like to deprime my rifle brass prior to tumbling in stainless steel media, so the primer pockets get cleaned. The Harvey tool works so well, I'm considering doing it to my match pistol brass, for the same reason.

-John
Old August 19, 2013, 09:47 AM   #17
wogpotter

Very small led light strips & other car 12volt "bling" lights.
I'm adding a set to my progressive press as we speak because they let me look down inside bottle neck cases to check powder & so on.

I may add multi-color blinking & walking ones for that 70's disco look!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 19, 2013, 10:12 AM   #18
schmellba99

I did the same thing a while back wogpotter - for such a small cost, it is a very, very nice upgrade to install on your press.

The other day I sat down at the LnL to deprime a batch of brass and was about 30 or so cases into it and wondering why it was so dark - didn't have my LED lights on. I had forgotten how nice those lights are to have until I turned them back on.
Old August 19, 2013, 03:58 PM   #19
wogpotter

Yeah I went 100% "Disco Dillon" & I'm loving it. These pics are taken in regular room lighting, & there is my old cantelevered light about 18" away & these swamp it completely!

I don't know why anyone wouldn't do this, the whole set cost $12.00. Installation was about 15 minutes, including de-greasing so the stickum would bond well & the 10 MS-76 batteries in the "try me out pack" were/are worth easily that much. I use them in my digital caliper, laser collimator & so on so I'm streets ahead!

(Tip: pick one from the back of the stack at the store, that way the batterys are still "fresh", not beat to heck by lots of other shoppers trying them out.).

The 12 volt power supply driving it was from an old computer gizmo I dont use any more so it was "free", but you could probably get a years worth of light out of a "AA" battery pack, or get a $10 adaptor from Radio Schlock.

Last edited by wogpotter; August 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old August 20, 2013, 03:43 AM   #20
Sevens

Holy cow.

This may be the first time -anyone- has ever pondered what it might be like to have strippers dancing on the shell plate of a Dillon progressive press.
Old August 20, 2013, 08:07 AM   #21
schmellba99

I opted for the plug into the wall set, simply so I didn't have to worry about batteries.

The good news is that I can get a battery pack adapter and plug it in whenever I feel like it.

With room lights on:

With lights off, just for grins:

I bought mine as a kit from In Line Fabrication.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:59 AM   #22
wogpotter

Quote:
The 12 volt power supply driving it was from an old computer gizmo I dont use any more so it was "free", but you could probably get a years worth of light out of a "AA" battery pack, or get a $10 adaptor from Radio Schlock.
Thats why I used the 12v~A/C adaptor mentioned with mine. I can swap back to battery operation any time if I need to. All I do is swap the plugs back over.

Old August 20, 2013, 11:05 AM   #23
wogpotter

SEVENS: You have no idea how much I wanted to photoshop that pic after your post, but good taste & abject fear of the mods caused discretion to be the better part of valor!

Old August 20, 2013, 01:16 PM   #24
Sevens

Just look at your pics and try to convince me that ya can't see Tony Soprano and Paulie Walnuts sitting there in the Bada Bing! discussing matters while a couple of New Jersey's "finest" ply their trade on a pole right in front of them...
Old August 20, 2013, 01:27 PM   #25
osirus82

I like it guys, I didnt think of the led action yet but since i'll have a open position ill put in a flashlight or use the led ideas. When i get the funds Ill have to pick up a harvey deprimer to, since im doing mostly rifle cartridges.

my main concern now is finding a good reloading bench, table, desk. Ive actually been thinking of welding up my own cage, it would be like one of those propane metal cages. I like the idea of locking up all my gear together.

Last edited by osirus82; August 20, 2013 at 01:32 PM.