The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1
s2thalayer

Czech CZ-82 for CCW?

I got my CCW about a year ago, and have been meaning to get an upgrade ever since. I carry a Beretta 1935 32 ACP. Yeah, it's ancient. Yeah, it's a tiny round. And no, I would not trust my life with it at all.

So now my wife is turning 21 in April, and she wants her CCW ASAP. She has fired all my rifles (ARs, AKs, SKSs, etc) so she knows her way around a firearm decently. She fired the Beretta a couple times. Bottom line is, as I said, it's just not a proper firearm to carry all day. It's just not very reliable.

So, I want to find a handgun she will like, and I would also like to upgrade. I had my mind set on one of these two, a Beretta Px4 Storm or a Ruger SR9. However, I don't think that's going to be affordable if we're purchasing two pistols. Since I have my C&R, the CZ82 caught my eye. That is by no means a 'modern' weapon either, but it's affordable, better than what I have, and I hear good things about CZs.

However, I have no way of getting my hands on one before I buy. Would anyone recommend this handgun for CCW? or should I just wait for the funds for a Ruger or Beretta?
Old March 4, 2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Wishoot

My personal opinion is that it's an exceptionally reliable and incredibly accurate pistol that fires a decent SD round. Manufacturers like Buffalo Bore and Underwood are loading some pretty good SD rounds that come close to standard 9mm rounds. I sold one of my 82's to a female coworker who had absolutely no experience with handguns. After one range session, she shot like a pro. In other words, the learning curve with this gun isn't that big of a deal.

The gun isn't exactly thin, but it isn't bulky either. It's about as big as some of the smaller double-stack 9mm's out there. Holster options may be somewhat challenging, but there are options out there.

IMO, it's a good choice. Not perfect (but what is?), but good.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Jim Watson

The CZ82 is a well made gun and the 9mm Makarov gets you a bit more power than a .380. But it is still rather a big gun for the caliber. If you don't mind all steel construction and heft and can find one (two) it will sure be better than Italian navy surplus.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:12 AM   #4
s2thalayer

That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm a contractor, so I'm normally either behind a desk or in a truck, so a lot of carrying is not necessary. The gun will either be in a drawer or under my seat.

My wife is a preschool teacher, so she is not comfortable with, nor does she known if her bosses would allow her to have a handgun inside the facility, so she wants to keep it in her car during the work day, and possibly carry in her purse whenever she feels she needs it. So carry-ability is not as big of a deal for her either. As long as she can handle the thing, and it's easy to use (which sounds like it is), she'll be fine.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Pyzon

Ditto on the 82. I have pistols in my safe that cost 10 times as much as what these gems sell for, and not a single one shoots easier or better than
my 3 CZ 82's. Of course, some claim the Mak round to be weak, but a decent loading is on par with standard .38 special/S&W ballistics, and lots and lots of dudes have been dropped by those over the years.
Granted, they are larger than the mouse 9's, but nobody likes to shoot the tiny pocket rockets for fun, due the the light weight and tough recoil.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have a CZ-82.

A couple of years ago the daughter of a friend of one of my high school classmates got her carry permit and bought a small-ish .380 to carry. Don't remember which one, might have been a Bersa. Anyhoo -- the young lady has some neurological issues that seem to have resulted from exposure to chemical compounds when she was in Operation Desert Storm as a medic. Whichever little .380 she had, it hurt her hands to shoot it.

I let her try my CZ-82 and, despite being a marginally more powerful round (not light years more, but more), she found it very comfortable to shoot.

But ... it is an all-steel pistol. Even in a purse, your wife isn't going to forget that she's carrying it.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:52 PM   #7
dean1818

The CZ82 is a great little pistol, if that's what you got..... Go for it

But, if you don't already have the pistol

To me the 9mm offerings are abundant, lighter, and inexpensive
And would be a better choice for SD.

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old March 4, 2013, 08:02 PM   #8
springer99

CZ82 is very reliable and all steel, but is larger and heavier than most modern pistols for it's caliber. If you plan to keep it in the glove compartment or desk drawer, then you can do alot worse. If you plan to actually carry it for extended periods of time, then the thickness and weight may get to you. If you're trying to stay in this price range, you might want to look at a Makarov for carry purposes. You'll give up some round count, but gain some on weight and size.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:13 PM   #9
CWKahrFan

I just LOVE my CZ 82 and heartily recommend it! But I rarely carry it due to weight.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; March 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:51 PM   #10
zxcvbob

The CZ-82 trigger is ridiculously good, both in SA and DA. Silver Bear JHP ammo for it is totally reliable and it's cheap.

The only thing I don't like about mine is the grip screws loosen when I shoot it (just takes one or two shots) then the grip panels slide around. A drop of locktite will probably fix that, I just don't want to use the red locktite that I have now -- haven't gotten around to buying some blue or purple.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:13 PM   #11
LarryFlew

Would have no qualms about carrying an 82 other than weight and width. They are (like most CZ's) very reliable and accurate BUT there are many guns out there that are reliable and accurate that weight a LOT less and are not as fat. If that is what you have by all means carry it. If your going to add another carry gun to your stable try another.
Old March 5, 2013, 03:32 PM   #12
cdbeagle

I have a CZ 82 and 83 and highly recommend them. I also have the same issue with the right side grip screw becoming loose on my 82.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:30 AM   #13
s2thalayer

Nope, haven't purchased yet. Looking to get a couple in a trade for an AK parts kit if at all possible.

I will look around a bit more at some lighter options to remain open minded. Sounds to me like it's a great option other than the weight.
Old March 6, 2013, 09:50 AM   #14
zxcvbob

That extra weight tames the recoil. (try shooting an 8 oz mostly-plastic .380 sometime; it's like a firecracker going off in your hand with every shot.)
Old March 6, 2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Garycw

Czech CZ-82 for CCW?

The sig p238 is the smoothest, lowest recoil CCW pistol I've ever shot

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Wishoot

^^^^^^^

...and about $300 + more than a CZ82.
Old March 6, 2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Father Time

I would take a CZ-82/83 over any new production Sig.

Just my opinion.

The CZ-82 is a VERY reliable and accurate pistol. Carry with confidence.
And the only downside?
The 9x18 Mak ammo can easily be found but there isn't much variety to chose from.
Old March 6, 2013, 12:53 PM   #18
loose_holster_dan

i had the same thought. on paper, it looks like a good idea. in practice, that thing is HEAVY.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old March 11, 2013, 09:36 PM   #19
triumph666

cz 82 is ridiculously accurate and smooth for the price....i own one and love it.....i would recommend it highly!
Old March 11, 2013, 10:51 PM   #20
Catfishman

Where can you find a CZ 82 these days? I remember somebody had them for $190 before shipping a few months ago.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:52 PM   #21
Chesster

When I use to travel, I had a Hungarian FEG R61 in the pocket and a backup CZ82 in a brief case on the seat next to me. A good combo.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 12, 2013, 05:45 AM   #22
Contrast Man

From what I can tell, a lot of the retailers seem to be out of them so your best bet for finding one could be gunbroker, armslist, etc.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:39 AM   #23
Pilot

The CZ-82 is a great choice if you're on a budget. Heck, it is a great choice anyway, but current prices make it very attractive.
Old March 12, 2013, 02:59 PM   #24
DarthNul

I have a CZ 82. It's a sweet little gun. Excellent DA trigger, decent sights, more accurate than it has a right to be. IMHO, if it had a decocker it would be perfect. Mine will be getting a new duracoat job soon
Old March 12, 2013, 11:01 PM   #25
labhound

Be carefull tightening the grip screws on the CZ82 or 83. I overtightened them on my 83 and they both cracked. Took me several months to find a place that had factory ones in stock. In the meantime I had a pair made by a place I found on the web. I used blue locktite on when I put the new grips on and have had no further problem with the screws loosening.