The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 6, 2008, 06:56 PM   #1
ThreeStepsAhead

New Toy! Kel-Tec PLR-16

I have been talking about buying a PLR-16 for about 2 weeks now. I got my chance today with one hell of a deal! I usually pay about 5-10% over MSRP for my choices in weapons from my local gunstore...but they're great people that can get ahold of EVERYTHING you can imagine so I don't have any qualms about helping them out.

Today, I walked in and asked their weekend helper if he had the PLR-16 in stock, and to my surprise the old man said, "Well, as a matter of fact we just got one in today." I was excited, but patient, I just knew the price was going to be a little more then what I wanted to pay. He passed me on to the manager because there was no price tag, and the lady (a real nice old lady that loves her repeat customers) gladly smiled at me and looked up the price. She said, "We don't have it in the computer yet, but I'll give it to you for $20 over what we got it for."

After she found the price they paid, she came up and said; "How does $515 sound?"

Without jumping for extreme joy, I calmly replied; "That's the best news I've heard all day."

Inside my head, all I could keep from blurting out was:
"I got a great deal, I got a great deal, I got a great deal!!!"

This thing is bare now, but it's like a canvas, waiting for much awesomeness to take place!

The Canvas:

I ordered the muzzle brake and the forend from the Kel-Tec website for $75. I will have a range day tomorrow with the PLR-16, FS2000 and Glock 30! I think I might even take my wife!!!

3SA

"Be polite and courteous to everyone, but always have a plan to kill them."
Old December 6, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
New_Pollution1086

you, the wife, and 3 fun guns.

sounds like a helluva good time.

the wife might get jealous of the new gun in your life.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old December 6, 2008, 07:25 PM   #3
USP45T

Good score. The shop I got mine at had one for $525 yesterday. I paid $465 6mos ago. Damn that election!
Old December 6, 2008, 08:00 PM   #4
ndking1126

Nice! This is why I love local shops and not the big retail guys. They recognize you and appreciate your business.

Let us know how it shoots!

How many bullets does that mag hold?
Old December 6, 2008, 08:08 PM   #5
ThreeStepsAhead

It comes with a little plastic 10 rounder, good enough for laying by the bed... but it'll hold a 30 round 5.56/.223

You'll see in the pics tomorrow!

3SA

Old December 7, 2008, 02:31 AM   #6
Stevie-Ray

Good score. I got mine for $500 last Christmas. Lots of fun. But this thread is going to be moved.

Old December 7, 2008, 02:34 AM   #7
mav88

I watched videos and see so many pics of the kel ted plr and
Su. I want so bad, also a member from different forum showed
Me how easy it is to dissasemble and clean, overall look
And size is what makes me like it. Good find!
Old December 7, 2008, 05:53 PM   #8
ThreeStepsAhead

Range Review

Took the PLR to the range today with my wife, first, and then my neighbor. That's right, two trips to the range today!

It doesn't like full HK mags, it prefers them with 24-25 rounds...but it sure loves my GI mags with 30 rounds. I imagine it has something to do with the tension difference in the spring.

The PLR is LOUD. I started shooting and immediately turned heads. I didn't have the flash suppressor or the forend on it (on order from Kel-Tec) so it shot a huge flame out the front and my grip options were limited.

I didn't shoot for precision accuracy today, but at 50m with iron sights, the thing can definitely hit where you aim at within a pie plate, which is acceptable for a weapon of this type.

All-in-all, it was a beautiful day with awesome weapons and pretty awesome people.

3SA

Old December 7, 2008, 08:38 PM   #9
ndking1126

glad you like it. You'll have to let us know how accurate it is when you finally sit down and see what she can do.
Old December 8, 2008, 07:21 AM   #10
Paochow

GUNS Magazine tested it recently and had better accuracy than many rifles. Best group was 3/4" at 100yds. Excellent accuracy for a handgun!
Old December 14, 2008, 10:58 AM   #11
rshanneck2002

stevie ray,yours is set up just about like mine except my lazer rides on bottom on the rail with a red dot on top. small dr optics on top. as far as im concerned one of the best home defense weapons on the market for the price,talk about firepower and very very accurate.i have the beamshot green lazer on bottom and once sighted in at fifty yds nifty as hell out to a 100,our flash suppressors are the same,thats mean by itself.
Old December 14, 2008, 11:33 AM   #12
clem

You'll like it! Here is mine.
Old December 14, 2008, 12:54 PM   #13
ThreeStepsAhead

I bought the kits from Kel-Tec and they assembled easily.

Old December 14, 2008, 12:57 PM   #14
rshanneck2002

there you go, looks good clem., one question? did the cops give you a dirty look when you went to register it? they did here and i have a CWP., it fits behind my truck seat real good., i thought the female officer at my local county mounty shop was going to drop her teeth when she opened the case up for inspection as we have to regiester them as pistols here in MI.
Old December 14, 2008, 08:54 PM   #15
clem

I'm in Arizona. My PLR-16 is considered to be on the "light side", ha!

All the cops who have seen it want one for themselves.
Old December 14, 2008, 09:57 PM   #16
toast

Does that have a chrome lined barrel and how comfortable is the grip? Can you compare it to an AR type factory grip?

It would be nice to be able to purchase the 9" barrel and the pistol grip from Kel-Tec and go from a rifle profile to the pistol and back and forth. Not sure if that sort of thing would be legal at all but that doesn't mean I don't want it (I guess more that I can't have it, boo).
Old December 15, 2008, 04:04 PM   #17
rshanneck2002

onethings for sure., money well spent on any PLR,puts the 44mag to shame you know the one with the 7.5 in barrell. i was amazed how easy it was to shoot and how accurate they are for such a little 223., hell if i do my part it matchs my bushmaster at 100, its an M4 type, with a 16 in barrell.if i had a complaint it would be the safety on it, reminds me of an oversized rem 870 crossbolt safety on their shotgun., but at half the cost of a bushie pistol that wont shoot no better not to mention the rear tube,well ill keep the PLR. man i thought i was the only old nut case left in the world.
Old December 15, 2008, 07:33 PM   #18
ThreeStepsAhead

Toast: The grip is comfortable if you have the Kel-Tec hand guard. Otherwise you're using the magazine and it's nothing wonderful.

Glad I'M not crazy, either!

Old December 16, 2008, 12:37 AM   #19
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
stevie ray,yours is set up just about like mine except my lazer rides on bottom on the rail with a red dot on top. small dr optics on top. as far as im concerned one of the best home defense weapons on the market for the price,talk about firepower and very very accurate.i have the beamshot green lazer on bottom and once sighted in at fifty yds nifty as hell out to a 100,our flash suppressors are the same,thats mean by itself.
I've had a smaller laser on the bottom as I was experimenting. Where did you get your green Beamshot? I'm thinking about that as well, as the reds are just not quite bright enough in the daytime.

I'm in Michigan also. When I registered it, the cop took it out of the box and looked at it for a full 10 seconds or so and said, "Damn!" Then he look up at me and asked, "What is it?"
Old December 16, 2008, 07:43 AM   #20
SuperKord

I think I now know what I want for Christmas. That thing is awesome. That'd be a nice little backup to the AR I just bought.

-c/Kord!
Old December 16, 2008, 01:36 PM   #21
Drakejake

Make sure you wear a helmet and safety glasses. When It blows up, these precautions will reduce the damage. Just kidding, guys!

Drakejake
Old December 16, 2008, 01:40 PM   #22
LucifersPants

Somebody remind me...who fired first Han Solo or Gredo?
Old December 16, 2008, 01:52 PM   #23
tgstoken

Hehe, still not as evil as my AK pistol.
Old December 16, 2008, 09:20 PM   #24
tulsamal

Clem,

I've got an AK pistol with the single rear sling point. I've been wondering what I should buy to put on there. What is yours? It would be nice to find a way where the sling could provide tension when you are pushing the pistol forward to fire it.

As fire as rifle designs that have become pistols, the AK pistol is a heck of a lot of fun as well. I'm not the kind of guy who thinks it is fun to rip off a 30 round mag as fast as possible. Even with one of my AK rifles, I usually fire one carefully aimed shot after another. I still do that sometimes with my AK pistol but sooner or later I just have to put in a 30 round mag and let rip from the hip. It is amazing how fast you can empty a 30 round mag. And I'm talking a distinct pull for each shot, not bump firing! Makes me even more critical of movies where full auto fire just keeps going and going without much reloading going on!

Gregg
Old February 18, 2011, 10:37 PM   #25
Dave R

Loud? You may want to replace your flash hider with a Levang Linear Compensator. Not a silencer, but it redirects sound pretty effectively. $40 at MidwayUSA IIRC.