The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Ammo Junky

Nosler handgun bullets?

Hi gang, My first post here. Great site.
I have become a pretty big Sierra fan in rifle and handgun bullets over the last year or so. Recently I have tried a few Nosler bullets and they seem almost identical to Seirras. I notice on Mid Way that there are very few reviews for the Noslers and wonder why? What is the groups opinion of Nosler handgun bullets? They are polished and priced right. I read some complaints about increased copper fouling in gas operated semi-autos ie. the desert egale, I wonder if Nosler uses a pure copper jacket and maby Sierra uses a 95/5.
Thanks
AJ
Old March 16, 2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I think Sierra does use 95:5, but I don't know Nosler's approach? The only thing I have against Nosler is I bought some rifle bullets of theirs and if you place one length-wise in the jaws of caliper, you can see the driving surface is very slightly tapered. I understand this makes it easier to keep the dies running smoothly, but Sierra doesn't have them and Harold Vaughn's book demonstrated you can see the error on a target when precision shooting.

I don't know about their handgun bullets? For target work I would stick to Sierra and Hornady. I've had good luck with both. The Hornady XTP's have an enviable reputation for those interested in expanding bullets. I've shot the Hornady 200 grain SWC and 230 grain FMJ-FP in .45 ACP with excellent results. The Sierra 200 grain target bullet, likewise. The Sierra 250 grain .44 throws 1.25" groups at 50 yards from my Redhawk all day long. What's to complain? The Nosler rifle bullet experience is going to make them work to give me reason to experiment with their handgun bullets.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle