The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 15, 2016, 10:30 PM   #1
snowman748

1903A3 Sporter value?

I picked up a Smith-Corona sporterized 1903A3 that dates to 1944 (according to the serial number from info I could find online). It came with a Burris Fullfield II in Weaver rings. It's not for sale, just curious what the value of something like this would be. I paid $249.99+tax at a local pawn shop.

Old November 15, 2016, 10:36 PM   #2
sfwusc

It is worth its value as a shooter. It has no collector value.
Old November 15, 2016, 11:15 PM   #3
RC20

It is an excellent candidate for an A4 replica.

You might want to inventory the parts (bolt, trigger, etc) and see if its all SC.

How many groves in the barrel, people like the 6 groves a bit more.
Old November 16, 2016, 12:36 AM   #4
snowman748

I understand that SFWUSC but it still has value even without collectors value. I picked it up because I've wanted a 1903 for a while and this was affordable.
Old November 16, 2016, 05:40 AM   #5
eastbank

one of the biggest deer i ever shot was with a spoterized 03a3 with a 4x weaver scope and 150gr hornady bullets in the early 60,s, i would buy it. eastbank.
Old November 16, 2016, 06:09 AM   #6
damienph

The barrel manufacturer, date and flaming bomb should be on top of the barrel at the muzzle end right behind the front sight dovetails.

For $250 I would have bought it too. It is well worth that as a basic hunting rifle plus if you wanted to part it out it is worth more than that in parts or with the uncut barrel, like RC20 said, it would be a good candidate for an 03-A4 replica.
Old November 16, 2016, 10:12 AM   #7
kraigwy

At that price I'd jump on it, but like others said, I'd build a M1903A4 out of it.

Or even bring it back to the A3 configuration for CMP GSM Springfield matches.

There are several directions one could go, the M1903A3 is probably the most accurate Military actions out there.

It is what the Army used for their Mann devices, a device to test the accuracy of military ammo.

The Army's 'a3 Mann's were in '06, 308, 45 ACP, 22 Hornet, and other calibers.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 16, 2016, 10:37 AM   #8
snowman748

This is the barrel markings, it is dated 8-43 so I'm guessing August of 1943? I've thought about making it an 1903A4 replica but have no idea where to start. Would it increase the value or just be cool? I've thought about just leaving it as a Sporter to hunt with from time to time. Pretty sure it's going to need a new stock though, this one has a pretty significant crack in it. Seems to have been repaired correctly but idk. With stocks only running about $130 from Boyd's it probably wouldn't be a bad investment if I leave it as a Sporter.
Old November 16, 2016, 10:56 AM   #9
damienph

I agree that a Boyd's stock would be a good investment. My sporterized 03-A3 Smith Carina has the same barrel date 8-43. I bought mine back in the '80s, it is one of my favorite rifles, very accurate.
Old November 16, 2016, 12:53 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...excellent candidate for an A4 replica..." No it isn't. Far too many mods required and you'd still have a bubba'd Smith-Corona.
There was a sporterised SC on GunsAmerica in 2012 the guy couldn't sell for $350. Your $249 is reasonable.
Old November 16, 2016, 06:58 PM   #11
RC20

Not sure where you get that from.

Supercut49 can weight in, but as I see it

1. Bolt is already bent

2. Stock

3. Replica scope and mount.

What $400 into it more and you have s saleable A4 replica for $1500 I would guess.

ps: Agreed on the 1903 of any type Sporters, everyone should have one, downright un-American not to.
Old November 18, 2016, 04:17 AM   #12
HiBC

I think you made a real good purchase at a very good price.
These days,pretty much,there are Springfields in Military trim,There are springfields in various degrees of sporterization,and there has been a surge of restored/demilled drill rifles for actions.
That is the source of a receiver for most of the 1903A4 Clones.I built one,and I am very happy I did.

You get to decide.As that rifle is,you have a good hunting rifle.You can enjoy it without doing anything.Good!

For a lot of folks,a military trim 1903A3 or A4 is a more desireable thing of wonder and beauty than a sporterized hunting rifle.Especially a fairly home-spun one.
That's up to you.
It has been drilled and tapped,and the bolt altered.Fortunately,the barrel is in original config.
Its not a drill rifle.That is nice! You have a guard.I'll have to look closer!!

I understand,for some folks,"It will not have collector value,"etc. Let them feel that way.You did not pay $1800,or so. I care more about having a shooter Springfield than the safe queen possession thing.There is something good about bringing another military trim Springfield back to the world.

I built a 1903A4 Clone off an AIM surplus drill rifle receiver.You are way ahead!!
If you choose to take it back to military,feel free to PM me.I think it would be fun to lend moral support,and share what I know.
In my opinion,it certainly IS worth doing!!

To take it back to a 1903A3 will be cheaper and easier. Thereare a lot of NOS bolt bodies(headspace check req'd) ,plenty of bolt sleeve/safety assy's.Sights are easy to come by.Actually,I got a nice one by simply asking my local crotchety old gunsmith.He got his cigar box out.First place I would check is every crotchety old gunsmith within 300 miles.Let him know you are "unspoerterizing" a Springfield back to military.His eyes might light up.He might bring out HIS cigar boxes.Maybe even scratch his head and find that old military stock that he took off and saved back in the 70's.
The only detract you will have is the scope drilled and tapped holes.Put plug screws in them!
IF you go 1903A4,keep your bolt.Read.study the rules for CMP Vintage Sniper class competition.There are scope/mount/ring considerations to comply with.CMP sells repros,but the screw pattern may not match.Maybe new holes in the mounts? I would not swiss cheese the receiver with more holes.

Bands,swivels,other stock furniture can be found. $20 here,$30 there.Yes,it adds up,but its not TOO painful that way,and each find is a little victory.

FWIW,I paid as much for a "C" stock as you did for your rifle.It was an old original NOS in the box,made by Milton Bradley. Sweet!! I was disappointed by one I bought from SARCO. Modern repro,wood not seasoned.Warped badly.

Watch e-bay.

Keep us posted!!

Last edited by HiBC; November 18, 2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old November 19, 2016, 08:02 AM   #13
Kvon2

I'm not sure what they're worth but I can say I would have paid more for it if I had to! Good find.
Old November 21, 2016, 05:56 PM   #14
GarandTd

I think that's a great deal. I would take a sporterized classic over ANY modern sporting rifle....especially for that price. You have a solid hunting rifle as is, you could return it to its original configuration, you could make it into some kind of modern tactical atrocity, the possibilities are endless and guilt free since it's already been altered.