The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 14, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
tufmandan

CCW Question when traveling

I am an Ohio resident and i am looking to get my CCW. My question is, if i am traveling with my conceal carry and am going to a state that does not allow conceal carry or i do not have reciprocity with how to do i make that gun legal in that state. Do i just take out the rounds and put the gun in the glove box? Any help would be nice with this. Thanks!
Old June 14, 2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Doyle

Answer's will vary greatly depending on the state to which you are traveling. In some states, simply unloading it and putting it in the trunk will be sufficient. In other states (like MA, NJ, etc. ) that would still not be enough. The only way is to get the law (in advance) from each state you'll be traveling to.
Old June 14, 2012, 09:20 AM   #3
tufmandan

I guess that is what i was looking for but i mean if i am going to travel to one of those states do they expect me to not bring it at all? I was just going to get a lock box for travel.
Old June 14, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4
jimkimmons

Site for laws

I'd suggest bookmarking http://handgunlaw.us and checking each state you'll travel through or to, make notes and changes as appropriate during your trip.
Old June 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #5
tufmandan

Thank you very much! I will keep it bookmarked.
Old June 14, 2012, 10:21 AM   #6
brickeyee

Quote:
if i am going to travel to one of those states do they expect me to not bring it at all?
Yes.

And if you bring it and are caught you can be arrested.
Old June 14, 2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufmandan
I guess that is what i was looking for but i mean if i am going to travel to one of those states do they expect me to not bring it at all? I was just going to get a lock box for travel.
As stated above by brickeyee, that is exactly the case. There are some states in which there is no way for you -- a non-resident -- to legally possess a handgun and transport it in your vehicle. New York is one such state, I believe Massachusetts is another.

I am taking note that you are asking about states you will be traveling "to." In case someone is thinking "FOPA," remember that the starting point for the FOPA is that your possession and carry must be legal in the place where the journey begins and in the place where the journey ends. If the laws of the state you'll be visiting do not allow you to possess and transport a firearm, not only will the FOPA not help you in that state, the FOPA also will not apply in any intervening state.

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer. You will have to research the laws for whatever state(s) you plan to visit. Start with www.handgunlaw.us

Tags
ccw , conceal carry