The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 27, 2005, 03:22 PM   #1
tjhands

Good self-defense knife?

I realize that this thread has nothing to do with guns, but I didn't know on which board to post. I'm looking for a self-defense knife that has a 5-inch or smaller blade. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old January 27, 2005, 03:26 PM   #2
U.F.O.

Kershaw "Ken Onion" spring assisted folding knife. There are a couple of different models with blades in the 3.5" range. Best I've ever handled. Have one in my pocket as I type.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old January 27, 2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Blind Tree Frog

Box cutter. Short stiff blade that will still cut someone well and if a cop grabs you and asks why you have it, you simply forgot it was in your pocket after leaving work/shop.

And while I have heard that suggested, I'm now going to shut up and follow the thread and see what is suggested.

I've got one of those spring assisted knives that the above post mentions. Great knives. I bought mine back when they were still $50 and Kenshaw didn't up the price because they could. But I've talked to a couple cops if it was legal or not, and while they liked it and said it should be fine, they were a little wary and thought about it for a minute.
Old January 27, 2005, 04:06 PM   #4
tjhands

Thanks, guys....

I checked out Kershaw's website. They look good, and they aren't outrageously priced.
Old January 27, 2005, 04:23 PM   #5
Blind Tree Frog

I'm just bitter because they are listed at like $80 now I believe. I've seen them for $65, but since I bought mine for $55 at walmart I don't see the reason for them being so much more. (Straight edge Balck out)

Only complaint that I have about mine is that the plastic grip is starting to seperate towards the end. Haven't looked for a screw driver to tighten the screw yet.

I take that back
http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kersha...out-KS1550.htm

You might want to look into their Blur series as well. Looks to be the same thing, but more in theory, more tactically oriented.
Old January 27, 2005, 04:30 PM   #6
U.F.O.

Mine is the Ken Onion "Blackout" with the serrated edge.

U.F.O.
Old January 27, 2005, 04:39 PM   #7
Rojoe67

Just a dumb question?

Self defense knife? I am thinking that would be an option if I wasn't able to carry concealed? Maybe this is the case at hand? If not and your legal to carry concealed when would you state a knife as a self defense weapon? I don't want to pick a fight here but I am confused when a person would reach for a knife? Again I understand if I was at home and had no other weapon of mass destruction available I might opt as last choice a knife. Close combat -that close is even more ugly than a 3 yard gun fight....
I know I have just put my nose into another's question and I am sorry if I come off as a jack*ss for speaking out of turn. I might have just read this thread wrong and spoke out of turn.... If so - sorry
If I am 20% right - just reason and think about the issue(s) real close....

Now - I have thought for a few minutes I can understand why you would carry a knife but still not sure I call it a self defense knife??? ok - let me have it..... I asked for it right?
Old January 27, 2005, 04:49 PM   #8
Blind Tree Frog

If I get bored while waiting for someone, I can't whittle with a gun
Old January 27, 2005, 04:49 PM   #9
U.F.O.

You ask a great question. Let's say some yahoo is trying to beat your head in with a tire tool for no reason other than he wants your wallet. You pull your CCW pistol out, pull the trigger and it hopelessly jams. Whatcha gonna do? The fight has become close quarters, all you have now is a very inefficient club.....unless.....you have something to use as a backup. Enter your folding knife. Just carry one with a legal blade (in TN 4" or less) and you got no legal problem.

U.F.O.
Old January 27, 2005, 07:42 PM   #10
Mannlicher

I don't carry a knife for defense, but I always have one. Most often its a CRKT or a Benchmade folder. I suppose if I had to, it would work for defense.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 27, 2005, 07:59 PM   #11
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I've been using older style steel handled Spyderco's for couple years now and haven't looked back-------went through the Kershaw's et all and they just didn't work for me----personal preference I guess.

The Spyderco is easy on the wallet---strong and quick to use------just wish I would have tried them in the '80's instead of the early '00's-------would have saved me a lot of money in the long run.
-------Metallica
Old January 27, 2005, 08:10 PM   #12
fignozzle

You know, there are some really nice SD knives out there costing a hundred dollars or higher...Benchmade, MOD, and a bunch of others. Spyderco sort of sets the standard with Native, Delica, Endura, and so on...

BUT, for every day carry I just KEEP coming back to these Kershaw Ken Onion speed assisted designs. Takes an edge very nicely, will hold it reasonably well, and is very natural in the hand.

Bladeforums.com will teach you everything you'll need to know.

Love People.
Use Things.
Do not confuse the two.

Grey Tribesman
Old January 28, 2005, 01:04 AM   #13
CZ75daddy0405

Cold Steel Voyager.
Old January 28, 2005, 02:22 AM   #14
jlwatts3

As others have said above,I like the Ken Onion Leek, Best deal I found was ($35)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...J90MM1S9D4DH75

But there are many other to look at as well. Do you want a fixed or folder? If you want to carry it around I like forlders but fixed blades are more simple and generally faster to deploy but assisited folders are pretty quick.
Serrated or plain? Serrated cuts flesh and fiber well but is harder to sharpen.

As stated above www.bladeforums.com is an informative place. Good online stores are www.cheaperthandirt.com , www.knifeworks.com , http://www.agrussell.com/index.html , www.knife-depot.com
Here's a selection of knives I like. Some are more defensive and others are more ultiliarian. There are a ton of knives out there. Do some research and I guarantee you will find one that fits your need to a T.

Benchmade

Stryker
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=229

Griptialian
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=5242

Buck

Police Utility
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=4341

Cold Steel

Push Knife

The Spike
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1194

CRKTs

M-16

Crawford-Kasper

SOGs

SEAL Pup fixed

Mini X-ray folder

Spyderco

Harpy

Karambit
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=4744

Yojimbo
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=5286

Gunting
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-477...src=froogle-kd

Obviously I could go on forever. Look at the sites I listed and ask at blade forums and you'll find something.
Old January 28, 2005, 09:55 AM   #15
tjhands

Thanks again, fellas. Some great info here. I ordered a Ken Oinion Leek.

RoJoe, to answer your question (and no, I'm not offended and you didn't sound like an a'hole): There are times when I won't have my carry-gun on me. Simple as that, really. Like someone said above, there are instances that, even if we DO carry a gun 100% of the time, a knife could prove invaluable. It's always better than nothing, and the folding one that I ordered will fit in the tightest of clothing (like those skin-tight cheetah-print leather pants I wear on Saturday nights!), and is never illegal to carry into a bar, store, restaurant, etc.

Peace.
Old January 29, 2005, 03:00 AM   #16
SNoB

Luckily for me I live about 2 miles from the kershaw factory, so I buy the factory secconds with cosmetic flaws for next to nothing.

I prefer to carry the largest kershaw liner action with the tanto blade, its less scary to non-knife people than a spring assist, and ive been using kershaw's so long its faster than the spring assist in my hands.
Old January 29, 2005, 03:46 AM   #17
Snowdog

Quote:
I don't carry a knife for defense, but I always have one. Most often its a CRKT or a Benchmade folder. I suppose if I had to, it would work for defense.
That would have been my exact response had you not posted it first.

What I usually have on me is a well-used 5 year old Benchmade Stryker, or a CRKT Point Guard that's always in my car if I forget the Benchmade. Just as Mannlicher, I don't carry knives in prospects of defense, but I'm sure they can serve that function if need be.

As for recommendations on a dedicated defensive folder, I'm afraid I simply lack the knowledge to to offer any real assistance. Though I will say I have complete confidence in the Stryker if it were ever needed as a defensive tool. I've always felt the blade opens as fast as any switchblade or spring assisted blade with adequate practice as well as possessing a blade just long enough to inspire confidence. What I can say with certainty is if I ever were to lose it and seek a knife to replace it, another full-size Benchmade Stryker would be my first quarry.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-

Last edited by Snowdog; January 29, 2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old January 29, 2005, 06:46 AM   #18
AK103K

Knives are a "defensive" tool? I always looked at them as "offensive". If I have to use one in a fight, it wont be defensively. If your going to carry one as a weapon, I'd get the biggest and baddest fixed blade you can reasonably hide and dedicate it to that.
Old January 29, 2005, 07:16 AM   #19
qwik

BM 806d2 Afck

on the ups heading this way
Old January 29, 2005, 07:40 AM   #20
michael t

A Bowie is a good back, up folders to slow. In the Great State of Ky if you have a carry permit you can carry concealed. Are permits are for Deadly Weapons not just handguns.
Old January 29, 2005, 08:18 AM   #21
dfaugh

I carry 2 butterfly knives

One next to each wallet (I carry 2 wallets , 'cause I have so much cr*p)...But as far as a weapon goes, I would consider them only for the "shock and awe" effect...I can draw and open both in about 1 second, one w/ each hand (takes LOTS of practice)...Because, if I'm close enough to use a knife I'm close enough to kick his a$$ (Studied martial arts for years), without the legal ramifications of using a weapon...

(Auto opening knives are illegal here, which is why I go with the butterflies)

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old January 30, 2005, 12:13 AM   #22
38SnubFan

I have two Kershaws. My usual is 1550ST Blackout assist-open, and I have a smaller non-assist (1450 I think). I really only use the 1450 when I absolutely can't carry my .38 snbbie (read: conceal) and slip in inside my waistband with a suit jacket.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old January 30, 2005, 12:40 AM   #23
Joint/Strike

IMHO- The Emerson Commander series knife is the fastest drawing knife next to a mechanical knife. They are very good knives although a bit pricey.

Video of Emerson Commander in action-first one...
Old January 30, 2005, 03:41 PM   #24
wintergreen

defense knives

There are several good reasons to carry a knife:

1) there are many places you can't take guns
2) if you have a smaller one, it's not considered a concealed weapon
3) for many years I was too young to get a concealed weapons permit
4) knives are cheap; guns are not
5) knives are small and light, guns are comparatively big and heavy
6) many people flip out if they find out you have/carry a gun. knives, not so much.

examples/explanations to the above:

1) I go to school at a private university in Cambridge, MA. No firearms whatsoever are allowed on campus, and to even have one in boston proper, you must belong to a gun club (about $300 a year). In high school, I was an Explorer (ride along and train with the SO). We couldn't carry on duty, but we could have knives.
3) Young people get mugged too, and it was common knowledge in my school that I carried a knife (blade just short enough to fly under the 'no weapons' rule). I have no doubt that this deterred more than one confrontation.
4) Being a college student, cash is short. I've got guns anyway, but for those many for whom guns are unaffordable, there are many decent knives available for 15 bucks, and about a jillion and a quarter for less than 50.
6) going to scool here, I've come to take it for granted that uneducated people (no matter that they're going to a top-tier college) are stupid about guns. They're utterly convinced that this is a realistic scenario: they walk into a room and see a gun laying next to a round of ammo. The gun (it's a glock because that's the only kind they've ever seen live) will immediately assemble itself (if needed), hobble over to the round, load it into the clip, insert the clip, rack its own slide, and shoot them in the face 4 times.
Point is, since they don't know about guns, they're freaked out to the point of paranoia about them. Should I carry here, word would likely spread with the first person who found out (and living with various people over time, it's inevitable that someone would). So it's a simpler deal to carry a knife. My anecdotal 2 qirsh.
Old January 30, 2005, 04:36 PM   #25
Anarx

well i think that this is a very intresting subject... dfaugh i agree with you totally i love balisongs and am currenthing thinking about buying a Spyderco Spyderfly for a new one *my old one i snaped the pins about 6 times total i think and then broke the handle clean off*. but i would take a Gerber, Spyderco, Kershaw, Benchmade tac folder over one for defense.. as it is easyer to open then a balisong and if your in a struggle and need to get that blade open someone holding your wrist isent going to prevent that...

the other thing to consider fellas is that a gun wont stop a person in their tracks.. granted if it was a range thing i would deffently prefer a firearm... but most mugings occur in very clouse range.. and the fact that yes they might shoot you *lets say they have a gun and you have a knife* but the likelyhood of it being fatal is slim... and even if that happens you can pull out your knife and gut the guy before you will pass out.. hes dead your not...

my friend who was a SWAT officer at one point told me this little rule *and i have also seen it on some websites* and thats if an oponint is within 25 yards of you with a knife in hand.. and you are standing with your side arm drawn. he can kill you.. how? well the human body can take upwords of 15 rounds of small caliber *like 9mm* to the chest before stoping someone whos truely motivated to kill you... also things like drugs can play into this...

i have stood by using a *gerber for the longest time* Tac Folder as a Utillity/self defense knife.. at one point *was using public transpertation in downtown hollywood and los angeles* i would carry a boot knife *ilegal* Balisong *ilegal*, Gerber, a Multitool, and a Victornox Swiss army. the Vic and Multitool where for tools the rest for defense if it came down to it..

theres my take...

Jess