The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 19, 2012, 10:07 AM   #26
BPowderkeg

i too have one of those Rem. M-24, S/N XXXX, i got it and 9 other guns that were stacked in a corner of a "trailer home" that caught fire, i bought those guns from a friend who lost his father in the fire.

the forearm was a little scorched (?) it was a well used little rifle, the problem it has is that the extractor falls out after several shots, that little doodad plunger (?) that keeps the extractor in place is worn, if anyone has a schematic please post it or the URL to it, i liked shooting it but can not due to that part falling out.., can anyone help me get this rifle back into shooting condition ?

thank you.

I FOUND IT !!!

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...mington_24.htm

Last edited by BPowderkeg; February 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: I FOUND IT !!!
Old April 3, 2012, 08:09 PM   #27
boitanosr

pops

were you able to keep the extractor in place? i am having the same problem.
Old June 17, 2012, 07:10 AM   #28
Beechdrvr

Front site on Model 24 Short

Hi Guys,

I have a 1929 Model 24 short in excellent condition which I just inherited. I took it to the range to site it in. Shot nice but, Im having doubts that the front site is original.
Is there anyone who could measure their front site from the barrel to the white pipper and give me a reading?
Would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Old September 20, 2012, 03:58 PM   #29
OldShot

Model 24 Issues

Picked up a Remington Model 24, serial number 399xx, at a gun show last weekend, took it to the local gunsmith for a good cleaning and oiling and got it back today. After about 25 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity the barrel was loose from the receiver. The locking tab was forward out of the slot in the receiver. Should there be a spring behind that tab to keep it engaged?

Now that the rifle is cool the barrel is tighter but still wiggles slightly. Just how tight should it be?

I also had five or six fail to eject. Before giving it to the smith I had run 25 rounds through it with no FTE. Does the rifle just need some more tweaking or is it worn out?
Old January 3, 2013, 07:28 PM   #30
PaulN

Comments re> Take-Down Barrel Tightness

The Remington Model 24, and Model 241, take-down .22 rifles should have their barrels adjusted just tight enough such that they don't have perceptable wobble under normal handling.

When reattaching the barrel the force required to rotate it should significantly increase just as the barrel is coming to its correct (attached) orientation.

A gunsmith told me, as I was picking-up a Model 241 from being cleaned, that he felt that it was better to leave any take-down rifle in its attached state except for when it was really necessary to break it down for travel. He said that every time a take-down rifle has its barrel removed-and-reattached that it contributes to wear (I already thought that but apparently the gunsmith felt the amount of wear was above-and-beyond what would be considered as 'normal wear').

(I'll add this comment ..... Although I think that the Remington Models 24 and 241 ... and the Browning SA-22 .... are beautiful .22 rifles but they can be tough to clean up inside their receivers after doing some plinking. I use Q-Tips, soaked in CLP, to run around in the receiver next to the breech; it's surprising how much burned powder accumulates there.)
Old April 25, 2014, 12:23 AM   #31
dblwizard

Howdy, I have a buddy that has one of these and is looking for a fore stock. Anybody have any idea's of where we could find one? Looking for an actual Remington stock rather than a replica. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dbl
Old April 26, 2014, 11:25 AM   #32
ole-crabby

model 24 remington

reply to a old thread I also own a model 24 ser. 51xxx mine has a empty shell deflector on the bottom have never seen another one. your question go to macon gunstocks .com and do a search, they have plain or really fancy stocks pricey but pretty!
Old July 8, 2014, 12:55 PM   #33
Taylors7558

Hi Everyone, I'm new here. I just inherited a Model 24 (.22 Short) from my grandfather. It was originally my great grand fathers, and I was hoping to find out how to go about finding the "grade" of it, as I noticed it was made in a few different grades. Is there anyone on the forums that would be able to give me such information? Also, I noticed that every one I've seen has the serial stamped on the side of the receiver, and mine is completely blank. Mine only has the serial stamped on the front of the receiver (have to break it down to see it).

Serial is 25566.

Thanks to anyone who can help me get information on this neat little rifle!
Old June 30, 2017, 11:08 AM   #34
Ocholik

Barrel Nut

Just found out that you have to unscrew the nut before you can rotate the barrel to break it down.