The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 21, 2006, 06:03 PM   #26
FirstFreedom

Surprise

Got a wild hair Sat and snagged the Celestron 130 Mak from a local store - they had it for $409 but price-matched it to the $379 of telescopes.com - had to pay local 8% tax, but no shipping and got it same day. It is amazingly clear at very long range, out my back window. Just outstanding. I don't know (now) why anyone in their right mind would shell out $1,500 for a Swarovski or Zeiss spotter that won't get nearly the resolution of this thing, for $400. Sure it's big, but this isn't for field use; it's for range use and home use (atronomy) - it DOES go on an ordinary tripod, but it's about at the limit of weight for my tripod - you feel like 2 more pounds, and your tripod would topple over at the adjustment point on the 'neck' of the thing, even tightened well. Anyway, the guy I bought it from said that he's had shooters buy these for 1,000 yards, so it should be a cinch for my purposes (no more than 400 yards, unless I get my dream property and buy my dream range someday).

So, would you like a pic, guys?

By the way, going from 100mm of objective lens size, to 130mm is only 30% more diameter/radius than the smaller one, but it amounts to right at 69% more surface light-collection area (A=Pi*r^2), so it aids signficantly in resolution, as I understand things.

If I ever get that 1,000 yard dream range on my dream property, I'll go ahead and upgrade to a huge Meade reflector at that point.

Also, Charlie & others - ol' boy at the telescope shop says that the Matsukov system isn't actually a reflector scope. But nor is it a refractor either, strictly speaking. Rather he says is a hybrid of the two.
Old August 21, 2006, 07:58 PM   #27
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I thought you'd like it, FF.

Quote:
So, would you like a pic, guys?
Absolutely!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 24, 2006, 11:45 PM   #28
FirstFreedom

I was hoping so....

OK, here ya go. Terrible, awful picture showing well the fingerprints - doesn't even look new - rest assured it looks better in person...still there ya go.

Oh, and if you get one, this site has it for even $20 less - wish I'd seen them before:

http://www.astrovid.com/prod_details.php?pid=1776

Oh, and 1 little drawback on the this product - the finderscope image is reversed - left is right, up is down, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Celestron C130.jpg (72.3 KB, 125 views)
Old September 19, 2006, 08:39 AM   #29
Trip20

Think it'd be possible to mount that on my deer rifle?
Old September 19, 2006, 03:25 PM   #30
FirstFreedom

lol, sure...where there's a will, there's a way! You could easily perform precision surgery with your rifle, on the ass of a gnat on any deer you can see for half mile.
Old September 19, 2006, 09:07 PM   #31
Bill T

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=318594

This Simmons will go to 60X and it's only $210.00. I have a similar model and would reccommend a 60X over a 45X because it really makes a big difference out past 200 yards. I've found the Simmons to be very clear and bright as well. Bill T.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=280419

Here is a Bushnell 60X for even less.
Old September 22, 2006, 04:48 PM   #32
Cawdor

I am looking at the Meade ETX-90 or the Weaver ETX. What is a good tripod for the range?
Old September 23, 2006, 07:16 AM   #33
Nortonics

I just recently bought a tripod for dedicated use at the range. Had three primary considerations: size, quality, and then price.

- Wanted a tabletop tripod, not a ground standing.
- Needed to fold up as small as possible.
- Cheap crap not allowed, but also wanted to keep the price reasonable, especially since I already have three higher quality full size tripods.

Velbon Dual Function Mini Photographic/Video Tripod

Maximum height of 21.3 inches. Less than $20 at Amazon.com. Perfect-O.

Old September 23, 2006, 09:50 AM   #34
FirstFreedom

Thanks, Nortonics, that looks like a nice 'pod at a nice price.
Old July 23, 2007, 08:40 PM   #35
FirstFreedom

Had to pull this one up from the dead

for an update.

Today I got in two products to go along with my C130 Mak (see above):

1. A C90 Mak - fantastically good range scope value - much more handy size for lugging to the range & back than the C130: http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestro...ing-scope.html

3. An Ex-Cel eyepiece, 18mm - this one: http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestro...el-series.html

which I can use with either/or Celestron Mak-Cass (or just about any other scope for that matter).

The focal length of the C130 mak is 2000mm and the focal length of the C90 Mak is 1200mm, and the effective magnification of the unit is the focal length of the scope divided by the focal length of the eyepiece, so:

1. With the stock 32mm eyepiece on the C130 Mak, I get 63 power.
2. With the 18mm eyepiece on the C130 Mak, I get 111 power.
3. With the stock 32mm eyepiece on the C90 mak, I get 38 power.
4. With the 18mm eyepiece on the C90 Mak, I get 67 power.

Lemme tell you, the view with the 18mm eyepiece and the C130 is unbelievable! I believe I could see an aphid on my neighbor's flowers across the street at 50 yards. Tremendous clarity.

So impressed that now I'm thinking of getting the 12.5mm or the 10mm eyepiece to go with/mix & match.

The 12.5mm would give me:

5. 160 power with the C130 and
6. 120 power with the C90

Or, the 10mm would give me:

5. 200 power with the C130 and
6. 150 power with the C90

Which would you get if you were me? Where is the upper limit of useful power with 130mm and 90mm objectives, for my main use of range spotting little holes at long distances, given the diminishing exit pupils here?

I'm thinking get the 12.5mm, and dedicating it to the C130, giving me 160x for stargazing (exit pupil 0.81mm), and dedicating the 18mm to the C90, giving me 67x for range use to 200 yards. (exit pupil 1.34mm). Ideas/input?

If I got the 10mm, then I could dedicate it to the C130, giving me 200x for stargazing (exit pupil 0.65mm), and still dedicate the 18mm to the C90 at 67x for range work. Is a 0.65 exit pupil too small to keep your eye centered over, realistically?

I'm thinking that the 12.5 is the way to go next. Hey, this is fun! But where will it end?

Time to start shooting .17 rem at 300 yards at a black paper target to test these bad boys.

P.S. Like the C130, the C90 has two exit paths for the light, with a flip switch to flip the mirror. The top one allows you to have a 90 degree scope (good for using to look at the sky). The rear one can be used with the 45 degree elbow, for terrestrial tabletop or tripod viewing, and presumably, one could also get a straight 0 degrees piece if one wished (though maybe not).
Old July 24, 2007, 10:43 AM   #36
frankxd

I was looking for a $200 spotting scope back in Feb. I ended up getting the C-90 Mak. It is rubber armor coated and has a plastic flip cover over the lens. It has the 45 degree or 90 degree lens, so it works for both range and astonomy. It works great, but I findit a little bit large for range use (my range is only 100 yards). Needless to say, I always have the largest scope at the range ! I also purchased the same tripod as was pictured before.

Here's a pic of my set-up:

Last edited by frankxd; July 24, 2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added pic
Old July 24, 2007, 04:56 PM   #37
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I was the one to start this post long ago, but found a “low end” - “diamond in the rough” (if there is such a thing) I bought a slightly abused (it was sold to me as new - screwed by a sister ebayer) after settling up with her on her bad sale (she is noted for such and won‘t post feedback until she sees your's feedback to here first), I ended up with a 80 dollar (new retail value) mini spotter for 12 bucks including shipping and included a mini binos worth maybe 20 bucks, they were new.
Anyway, I am very happy for now as I can see what I need down range most of the time. It's a small unit and already abused (well broken-in) so I can‘t hurt it.

Early in the thread, I had seriously considered the C-90 or something similar. I probably will upgrade someday.

Now for to the point of my post, frankxd WOW MAN that is a huge machine there next to the Dr. Pepper. It is without doubt a super piece of glass but it also makes my mini look pretty handy when I can keep it in the corner of my range bag and not even know it's there.
You must get some strange looks when you wheel that thing in. Spotters like that will put the “Shoot -n - See" Target Company right outta business …Yes, I am just jealous, really jealous.

It does look like a great unit and for the money, hard to beat. If I ever run into you at the range someday, I sure would like to take a peek through the key hole.
Hope you enjoy your new toy and all of the stars in the heavens above out there.

And at last, many thanks to Charlie and all the others for their technical support making this a great thread.
Old July 24, 2007, 07:53 PM   #38
FirstFreedom

I'm glad you started the thread back when, DNZ, because that's how I learned about Mak-Cass scopes through Capn Charlie - very pleased. Yes, the C90 is kinda big, but it's a little baby compared to the C130, and I've dragged that to the range. When I go to the range, usually most of the pickup bed is full of stuff anyway, so a large tripod and fairly large spotter is no big deal. I do highly recommend considering an upgrade someday, DNZ- the C90 is super good.

Wanted to mention couple other things I like about the C90:
-The front glass protective cover is tethered, so it's stays right with the scope, unlike the cover on the C130
-The C90 comes with a very "cute" little 8x21 finder scope which is so small that it can be thrown into the pocket (after being taken out of its bracket) and carried as a little monocular.
-Said finderscope is a RACI - it's correct image, not upside down & backward like the C130's finderscope.

frankxd, glad to see another happy C90 owner. No it's not really needed for 100 yards, but it's just about right for 200 yards, to see .22-.30 cal holes in a black target.
Old July 28, 2007, 08:53 PM   #39
FirstFreedom

Another update

Got the X-Cel 12.5mm eyepiece today. I cannot tell much difference/improvement over the 18mm in the C130, and the focal depth is getting really small - only a tiny point along the focus is the subject actually in focus with the 12.5mm. Still, very clear & bright even at dusk. But I think that the 18mm hits the sweet spot if you will, for the C130. Nevertheless, I'm going to dedicate the 12.5mm to the C130 and the 18mm to the C90, for the most part (in addition to them each having the original 32mm piece). But I can always mix n' match later as desired, of course. But if I store the extra pieces in their respective carrying cases (assuming they will even fit in there), then I'll end up having with near-instantaneous switches depending on unit:

C90: 38x @ 2.4mm exit pupil (32), OR 67x @ 1.34mm exit pupil (18) (range spotting to 300 yards).

C130: 63x @ 2.06mm exit pupil (32), OR 160x @ 0.81mm exit pupil (12.5) (range spotting to 600 yards, and stargazing).

Also, this is what I wrote in Black Bear's concurrent "Binoculars" thread, in a bit of an off-topic ramble for that thread - but we were going back & forth about binos & spotters.....

Quote:
But to back up a sec & summarize the Celestron Mat-Casses, the C90 has several small advantages over the C130, which add up to a better product for the money:

-Front cover is tethered.
-(important) Flip mirror is NOT spring-loaded as it is on the C130, so that when you flip it to use the 90 degree light path, it stays flipped; whereas, on the C130, to use the 90 degree path, you have to manually hold the mirror flip switch the entire time you are looking through it, which makes no sense, because your hand touching the unit could easily upset your picture when used on high power for stargazing at 90 degrees.
-Rubber armored
-Finder scope is RACI, not upside-down-n-backwards
-Finder scope is small enough to double as a pocket monocular

Of course, there is also a C65 "Mini-Mak", but I know very little about it, other than at $50-$60, it's likely an extremely good value as well:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestro...ing-scope.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestro...ing-scope.html

The C65 Mini-Mak would be a good choice if you wanted to pack into the high country a spotting scope, or just range use on a real budget.
For $49 & free shipping, that C65 with tripod is not a half bad l'il plan for the very tight budget...
Old July 31, 2007, 01:23 AM   #40
Dead-Nuts-Zero

FirstFreedom......I took a look at the links for the c65 at 50 & 60 bucks. I compared as far as I can go with the little knowledge I have. After reading the reviews on both Amazon & Optics Planet, they are not all that great. However, I think every rating & review gave a 5 out of 5 for Value for money.

I think I will pass on these two units (one is waterproof and one is weather resistant) that seem to be about the same with a few differences in specs.

I think my better value would be something with a removable eye piece that will allow me to add more power (if I understand right that is) along with a sight finder and probably many more features such as the C90.

If anyone here has an opinion/review for the C65, please post it for us.

Thanks to all who are posting great info.
Old July 31, 2007, 05:09 AM   #41
black bear 84

Hi guys,
I just ordered the C-90 from Optic Planet, will let you guys know when I have it in hand.

Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]
Old July 31, 2007, 01:03 PM   #42
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Black Bear - Did you talk to Optic Planet before making your selection? I am asking this to see what kind of knowledge and customer service you get from them. I am thinking of giving them a call sometime when I am ready to make a purchase.

Reason is, I know just about nothing about comparing their several units. If I didn't read this forum I would know much less.

I do have one advantage in that there is only one or two units within my price range!

Old July 31, 2007, 02:50 PM   #43
FirstFreedom

Schweet.
Old July 31, 2007, 07:56 PM   #44
black bear 84

Dead-Nuts-Zero,

No, I haven't talk to them.
I just placed the order for the C-90 and for the Leupold Yosemite 6x 30 binoculars that FirstFreedom recommended.

Now, to WAIT!!

Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]
Old August 1, 2007, 08:36 AM   #45
nobius

Celestron C-65 Waterproof

Just ordered from OpticsPlanet. $60 w/ free shipping. I will post reports both on OpticsPlanet and from the range when I get it.

"I aim to misbehave" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
Old August 1, 2007, 04:21 PM   #46
FirstFreedom

Dead nuts - call opticsplanet - there is a gentleman who runs it who walks the talk - he's a real optics nut, and gives lots of free helpful advice on what he recommends ordering, over the phone.
Old August 15, 2007, 10:43 PM   #47
black bear 84

My opinion of the
CELESTRON Mac 90
Spotting scope
37 powers

This instrument uses the Maksutov-Cassegrain design that incorporates a mirror, some call this a reflector system but I hear that is not a refractor either but a hybrid of the two according to my friend D.J.Stoner, what is important to you is that the design incorporate some high quality optics that will cost a bundle in a conventional system.

Additional eyepieces can be bought for more power, I think they go for about $60 each and they provide a larger picture, for example the 18 mm eyepiece will give it 67 powers and the 12.5 mm will do 120 powers, now you are into the realms of amateur astronomy.

And the scope is prepared for that with a 90 degrees barrel for the eyepiece, flipping a knob will change the mirror from the terrestrial position to the astronomical one.

The scope comes with a nice flip down objective lens cover that is attached to the body, so no chance of losing it, another feature for quick finding your target is a 8x 21 finderscope (with crosshairs) that is quite good quality and can double in a pinch as a monocular.
HERE IN THE TRIPOD

The 90 mm aperture ensure that plenty of light enter the unit to make it usable even when the shadows of the afternoon are approaching, the body is covered with rubber for a good grip and an anti reflection finish and it is say to be waterproof.

The eye relief with the 32 mm eyepiece (37power) is 22 mm the near focus is 20 feet, the length of the scope is 11 inches and it weights 3.1 lbs.

It comes with a nice departmentalized soft /hard case with room for others eyepieces, if you are into observing the planets it is a good way to start for little money, this is a quality instrument with great optics for the less than $200 that I pay for it.

It can be usable in the range to spot bullets holes, although it will need a good tripod to support its weight and although it is a little slow to set it up in comparison with others scopes it will do the job well.

A little clarification about setting up, as it comes from the case, you will have to install the tripod shoe, the prisms (going into the straight hole at the rear) and the eyepiece, also the finderscope 8x21 if you want to find your target quickly.
Carrying the scope already assemble is not practical as it will need another way to transport it other than his case. In this sense it is not as practical as others spotting scopes that have everything together.
FRONTAL VIEW

I have only one scope to compare it to; it is my 20 years old Baush & Lomb Elite 25 power, a high quality scope with superb optics. Optics wise the two compare the same, which speaks highly of the Celestron Mac 90, of course the Mac 90 will give me a bigger picture, but both scopes are sharp and define the picture well, color correction is on par with the B&L and distortion on the edges of the picture seem to be minimal to nor existent (at least to my eyes) I was assured by experts than this scope optics compare favorably with scopes of normal design that go for $700 or more.

For my use, as my range have only a 100 yards limit, I will continue to use the Baush & Lomb 25x 60mm as this scope need not set up and is much lighter and smaller, but look forward to use the Celestron in the field when going for woodchucks and for gazing at the starts and the moon and out of my backyard for some bird watching (I have a nice big Red tailed hawk in my area that visit my backyard and adjacent woods looking for birds or moles).

For what I pay for the Mac 90 I think that I have get a terrific buy in quality optics, it is a good option for those that can’t afford to spend a grand in one of the best quality spotting scopes, and refuse to do with the poor optics of the lower priced ones.

Respectfully
Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]
Old August 17, 2007, 07:59 PM   #48
FirstFreedom

Excellent review as always, and we thank you for that. Congrats on the nice scope. The only drawback of the Mak-Casses is they are more fragile than the refractors. Having said that, I have heard that Mak-Casses need collimation LESS often than other "reflectors" such as newtonians, Scmidt-Casses, etc. Don't know why, but the guy at opticsplanet told me that. So they're not TOO terribly fragile. Yes, I've heard it's a hybrid, but it's really more of a reflector than a refractor, seems to me...thanks again.