The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 11, 2005, 11:08 AM   #26
gb_in_ga

"I don't carry a BUG. I do, however, have a blade at all times & spare mag when I carry."

Yep. That's me. No BUG, extra mag, knife. I've also got a belt Leatherman and a keychain micro-Leatherman, but the defensive potential of those are minimal. I may get me one of those little NAA mini-revolvers one of these days, though -- better than a knife in a last ditch, close contact range encounter, anyway. Really more supplemental to the knife, I'd never go anywhere (except to the airport, sigh) without the blade.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:43 PM   #27
wayneinFL

If I really feel threatened, I carry a snubby as a back up to a Glock carried IWB.

For daily life, I just carry the backup in a pants pocket.

Considering the slim odds of ever being forced to use any gun, I can't see lugging two guns around everywhere I go. But if someone else wants to, fine by me.
Old May 14, 2005, 06:33 PM   #28
Doug.38PR

I carry a .38 Colt Official Police 4 inch as a primary gun at 3-4 o'clock on my belt holster under my coat or under my left arm in a shoulder holster and a .32 Magnum H&R Smith & Wesson 2 inch Model .431PD in my left pocket in a pocket holdster. I also have a nice little pocketknife as a third option.

As for extra ammo (I know you didn't ask this, but a few other people mentioned it), I carry 2-4 speedloaders for my .38 (two on my belt in front of my gun in a pouch and two either on the other side of my should holster strap or in my right pocket. For my .32 I carry 2 speedloaders in my right pocket. All in all I carry 36-48 rounds on me. I'd say that's more than enough. If I ever need anymore than 12 rounds or even 6 then odds are I'm going to die anyway.
Old May 14, 2005, 06:47 PM   #29
MEDDAC19

Based on some of these responses, me thinks the fabled mall ninja is close!
Old May 15, 2005, 07:13 AM   #30
axslingerW

with 14+1 capacity in my primary, I don't even carry extra ammo. If I needed more than that I wouldn't be there. I don't usually carry in daylight, or busy places, but I work alone during early morning hours and have witnessed an armed robbery and missed 3 others by just minutes. Thats just in the last 8 months. I am currently seeking other employment.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:00 PM   #31
9teen11spv

I do. I always have my Seecamp on me, as well as another gun.
Old May 24, 2005, 11:43 PM   #32
hummelsander

I carry an extra clip when I do carry...and that is often...but don't think I really have a need for a BUG.
Old May 24, 2005, 11:46 PM   #33
hummelsander

Oh, I hate knives...sends chills up my spine just thinking about them...I've seen up close what they can do...just grosses me out.
Old May 25, 2005, 12:40 AM   #34
Benzene

Not only a question of number of rounds

One might carry a BUG not only because one might envisage having to pump out more than 5-8 rounds, but because guns are machines that are liable to fail (regardless of price or name-brand). Even 2 such "machines" could fail - in which case blame it on DESTINY!
Old May 25, 2005, 01:28 AM   #35
poortrader

I'm just curious how many of you have actually had to draw your primary weapon. Personally, I don't feel a need for BUG because I don't plan on getting into a firefight with anyone or anybody. I am very comfortable with the weapons that I carry otherwise I wouldn't own them. I practice at the range at least twice a month. I know if I can't hit the BG in 2-3 rounds, I'm going to be screwed.

And if you did carry a BUG, the police would think that you were planning to be gunning for the the BG.

NRA Life Member
Old May 25, 2005, 04:47 AM   #36
STEVE M

When I carry a BUG it is for one of the following reasons:

I'm with my wife or daughter (both of wich can shoot, but neither of

wich carries concealed.)

I'm going to be driving a lot. It's very hard for me to reach my SIG from

under my shirt and seatbelt, but very quick to reach the 642 on my ankle.

(Also I prefer the J frame for anti carjacking use. Less for someone to grab,

no brass bouncing around inside a car, still fires with a bent wrist/ bad hold.)