The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 6, 2010, 07:36 AM   #26
sneeker

Never seen it, never heard it. Learn something new every day! Just the other weekend I got the opportunity to deliver an eviction notice ( via carbon express ) to the one that took up residence under my shed 42yds zipped em right behind the shoulder.
Old May 6, 2010, 09:56 AM   #27
Pahoo

Quote:
Never seen it, never heard it.
When I first posted this, I was going to write; Can Groundhogs climb trees ???
I realized this would not be accurate as I actually saw this one up there and did not think anyone helped him get there. Since that posting, I have related this story to my hunting buddies and they had not heard of or seen any climb trees. The were however, nice enough not to question my senility or that I had been smoking something. What really stikes me strange, is that once they get up there, they just don't want to move and obviously feel pretty safe. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 6, 2010, 10:04 AM   #28
sneeker

You just don't think of a groundhog in a tree, I mean whenever you see them they're either on the ground or going in or coming out of a hole in the "ground". Pretty crazy if you ask me. If I ever saw one up a tree I would be what the...
Old May 9, 2010, 07:05 PM   #29
gearchecker

My wife & I are going marmot (Western Groundhog) hunting tomorrow. Three large dens worth of shooting on the property. I'd really like to see one up a tree while I'm there. Not too likely after the first shot rings out, but I'll give them a chance to get there if they want. The goal for tomorrow is 12 or more. I'll have pics if any want to see them.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old May 9, 2010, 09:37 PM   #30
roklok

I have seen many groundhogs in trees back in PA.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:22 PM   #31
geetarman

One of the first groundhogs I ever shot was in a tree. That is the only one I have ever seen in a tree myself.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:33 PM   #32
SouthCali

i havent had a groundhog in over 12 years..

then 3 days ago i noticed a mound of dirt by my palms....filled it up then again the next morning......

i flooded the whole (first time ever i cant find where it goes/comes from) and the hole kept taking the water for the entire half hour i pumped...

It is now my mission to get this little son of a.......gun

Old May 10, 2010, 06:55 AM   #33
moosemike

I've seen them up trees a few times.
Old May 19, 2010, 02:53 PM   #34
9mm1033

Same here, I've shot two in trees. They are strange creatures. I now look up and down when groundhog hunting.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:29 AM   #35
CajunBass

I was bowhunting years ago, and heard something scratching around behind me. I turned around and there was a groundhog climbing up a tree. It was a sort of low hanging, spreading out flat type of tree and it looked like he was going to lay down in the sun to me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)